Mariner-Osaka to Hong Kong. 26 Sept to 10 Oct 2007.

OrpingtonT

My wife and I had booked for this segment but unfortunately she was taken seriously ill and we had to cancel. I wonder if any of the cruisers who did go would post an account so that we can enjoy the trip vicariously.

Was Mariner up to standard? Who was the Captain and Director etc? What were the ports like, especially the overnight stop? Any and every detail would be welcome.

So sorry about your wife and that you had to miss this trip. I hope she's doing better now.

I've been glued to their daily reports and it sounds like it was fantastic in every way! The Captain was Capt. Phillippe and as usual, he was marvelous. With a bit of research you can easily find the daily seamail reports from so many that were onboard. I'm sorry if I sound evasive but I can't tell you where to specifically look, as it's against the cc rules.

Thanks everyone, especially to you, Petlover, for your kind wishes. However, I am afraid that our cruising days may be over, even though Mrs OrpingtonT is now out of hospital and ordering me about from a prone position!

I have just seen your post, Donaldm, and thank you.

We know Barry quite well having home town connections and we would like to have seen him again. When on Mariner earlier this year Capt Romeo was in charge but I understand Capt Phillipe has taken over at the moment. I had a look at the site you mentioned but couldn't find much under Regent Chat. Perhaps I am looking in the wrong place. I did see some interesting pictures via a web cam though.

Hi OrpingtonT.

The Mariner cruise director, Barry Hopkins gave a very touching talk on his part in Dodi's funeral (Princess Diana had a bit larger funeral). You may know the story already but if not, Barry is friends with the local vicar and had helped the vicar with church entertainment functions. Dodi's family lived close by and the vicar organized the funeral service asking Barry to sing. Dodi's family was very appreciative of Barry's part and invited him to their home. Barry believes that the family has received a bad rap. He said that they have been very good to the community.

Give my best to Mrs. OrpingtonT and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

-Don

Archived