What to expect…..

halliewd

We are leaving out of Miami on the Sun if Feb…..lets start from exiting the cab with ship in sight….what happens…does someone grab all our luggage? Can I keep my back pack with me? What Paper/info do we need to board?

We have a mini suite which I have heard mixed answers on if we get suite treatment. I’ve heard on Sun you get suite treatment because it is an older ship and only has a few mini, where the newer ships have a bunch of mini’s and are being treated like a reg. cabin.

Ok, now we are on…now what….can you get in your room right away? Do they have something in your room that shows the ship layout and what is on each level?

When/where do you get the cards that you flash when you get a drink, or are shopping....is this card the same card you use to get in your room?

We have book excursions with NCL….when/how do we find out details

Don't you just love Newbie's with a boat load of question :D

Here are a few answers, you will need to carry your bags over to the luggage area, be sure you have your cabin number attached to the top of your bag. Then start the lines. Once you get to the ship, depending on how busy they are you might be just pointed in the direction of your cabin. Depending on how early your are to get on board, you might have to wait to get into your room. the later you go the fewer the lines, the less the wait, the quicker to get into your room.

When you show your paper work to one of the ships personnel, they will get an imprint of your credit card, then they will issue you a ships card, All charges and access to and from the ship are used with this card.

If you sigend up for any excursions on board you will have an envelope waiting for you on your bed. It will contain the tickets for all of your excursions. Check them carefully for the times of each excursion. Hope this gives you a start and enjoy your cruise......:)

Just a few additions to cruzin Tom's comments:

There should be a copy of the Freestyle Daily in your cabin. (If you want extra copies they are put out near the purser's desk.).

Look at the Freestyle Daily immediately - it will be dated for your embarkation date (future ones will also be delivered to your cabin - the night before). The Freestyle Daily will have tons of info that you NEED to know and that you WANT to know - opening times of restaurants (and which ones are pay extra) and dining rooms, any entertainment times and places or special events (like a BBQ on deck). Assuming that you have arrived around lunch time - be sure to check the Freestyle Daily for what is open for lunch (usually one of the main dining rooms and the buffet). I recommend lunch in the dining room - quieter and more relaxed.

Note: there will also be a pile of "stuff" on your desk - ship phone book, adverts for the stores etc etc - at you leisure, look through it to see if there is anything of interest. There will also be a card with your steward's name on it.

Check your beds - if they are too hard for you, ask your cabin steward for an egg-crate mattress (he will know what you mean). At the same time ask him for any extra blankets or pillows you need. DO NOT expect him to deliver them immediately - on embarkation day he will be very busy.

Be sure to keep any luggage with you that you will need within the next few hours (DO NOT give it to the porters) (anything that contains medications, any clothes that you want to change in to, your valuables and camera). Luggage may be delivered quickly OR you may not see it until that evening.

Before or after lunch (depending on how hungry you are) walk around the ship (with your camera - this is a good time to take pictures). You will notice MANY maps of the ship in strategic locations.

Before the ship leaves find a good spot to watch (make sure you have that camera!)

I don't usually begin to seriously unpack until evening because I love wandering around the ship.

Have a great cruise!

We are leaving out of Miami on the Sun if Feb…..lets start from exiting the cab with ship in sight….what happens…does someone grab all our luggage? Can I keep my back pack with me? What Paper/info do we need to board?

We have a mini suite which I have heard mixed answers on if we get suite treatment. I’ve heard on Sun you get suite treatment because it is an older ship and only has a few mini, where the newer ships have a bunch of mini’s and are being treated like a reg. cabin.

Ok, now we are on…now what….can you get in your room right away? Do they have something in your room that shows the ship layout and what is on each level?

When/where do you get the cards that you flash when you get a drink, or are shopping....is this card the same card you use to get in your room?

We have book excursions with NCL….when/how do we find out details

Don't you just love Newbie's with a boat load of question :D

Here goes, and I haven't read other responses which are probably about the same as I am answering: as soon as you exit the cab there will be porters to help you and yes, you can keep your backpack. Keep with you, at all times your passport, your pre registration form and credit card. you will need all of these when you arrive.

I can't answer the mini suite question, sorry but when can you get into your cabin? Normally no later than 1pm, sometimes earlier. When you board if the cabins are not ready you can wander around, grab a bite to eat either in the main dining room or the buffet; by then your cabin should be ready. Normally on the desk will be a small map (folding card actually) that will help you find your way around the ship. As for the flashing card, as soon as you register and give the rep your CCard you will be given your cabin account card. Now you are all set to give NCL money!!! LOL

You will get the details on your excursions after you board the ship. Hope this gets you started, ask all the questions you want, we love to give answers and advise.

Nita

Don't forget, they take a picture of you as you board. We were not prepared for this and it turned out awful so we didn't take it. (They take pictures as you leave the ship each day for your excursions too) Also, if you want to go to the pool, you might want to take your suits with you instead of in your luggage. Our luggage didn't arrive right away.

if you have any meds, keep them in your backpack or carry on. also, a change of clothes (in case the luggage doesn't make it to your room unit later), all electronics (cameras, computer and such), any meds you may need, jewelry. it's just something you should always do with any flight or cruise.

mini-suites, even on the sun, only got the concierge. if you do still get to use them, they can make dinner reservations and help for tender tickets and such. mini-suites don't get butlers.

We went on our 4th NCL cruise out of Miami. It was our first and last time we will go out of Miami!!! I think most of your other questions were already answered. But when we went to board in Miami there were 5 big cruise ships lined up in a row. Now do some thinking about that. Each ship has over 2000 paggengers. Can you just imagine what a MASSIVE traffic jam there was? That's right. There were hundreds of cabs and many BIG busses plus hundreds of personal cars like we were in. That's why I said to allow extra time. Don't try to cut it too close. One tip for you. When you deport all your luggage is put in a big space with all the others on your level. That's a lot of luggage to look through to find yours. We tie a pink ribbon on ours to make it easy to spot. Put something on it that will help you will find it quickly. Hope I haven't scared you too much. Once you get on the ship the crew is very helpful with all your needs. Have a great trip and I know it won't be tour last. Next for us is the Spirit out of New Orleans in December. This will be our second cruise out of New Orleans. It's easy to get to and easy to embark.

RetiredRich

Thanks for the head up ..........but man not what I wanted to hear...we are flying and sailing the same day........flying out of WI at 7am landing 11-ish and sailing 4pm so need to be at the ship 2:45 the latest.........oh man.........:eek:

The "pocket map" of the ship should be in your ship's book in your cabin. It's in the front or back pocket of the book.

There are usually extras available in the atrium on the reception desk.

Good to carry one in your purse or pocket until you learn your way around the ship.

When you check in, they will take your picture for your ship card. The picture doesn't show on the card but they scan your card everytime you exit and enter the ship at ports. They will see your picture on their screen:)

You BOTH must bring your card with you every time you are leaving the ship.

Hallie, have you checked CruiseCal to see how many other ships will be there when yours is? Here's the link (http://www.cruisecal.com/portal/). Click first on "Main Calendar." Then put in your exact cruise date, "Miami" for the Port, "Sun" for the ship (leave the cruiseline blank), and make sure to change "Other ships in Port" to "Yes." Then click "yes" to see all the ships in port the same day you embark.

Hallie –

We presume that your bags made it to Miami with you on the same plane, yes?

You arrive by cab, deposit your bags with the porters and follow the flow of passengers (with your hand luggage). If NCL still uses the tent ‘terminal’, you will have to walk a couple of blocks. Inside the tent you stand in line to check in. That’s when they check your passport, take an imprint of your credit card and give you your Norwegian Sun Embarkation Card. That’s the key to your castle (cabin) and the only method of payment for anything you want to purchase on board. No, you don’t just flash it, they swipe it and you sign the slip.

I think your other items have been answered.

We love the Sun, the ship that got us hooked.

1892650751_ByebyeFlorida1s.jpg.d78277200093f2d832271181925767ed.jpg

Looks like 4 other ship leave the same day as the Sun.......

and yep leaving WI or should I say MSP in Feb........we do it every year and I have to say that airport does a great job with bad weather!!......so I will say my prayers and keep my fingers crossed Mother Nature is on our side.

as far as luggage yep I'm sure there is a chance it doesn't make it but we have a direct flight and always get to MSP 2-3 hours early to get prime seats on the plane ( hubby is real tall and wants exit isles)....I feel this also helps make sure your luggage makes the the plane.

Archived