Navigator Portofino's: which night?

sdf89

We are on a 7 day New England cruise next week. I have never made a reservation in an alternative restaurant, but have heard such good things about Portofino's, thought we would try. How does one decide which night to go? If it helps, there are no formal nights this cruise.

We also did the Canada / NE Navigator in June.

Since Portofino's is on the back of the ship, I recommend booking a table around sunset while the ship is sailing east, so you can catch the magnificent view! Just make sure to get up there upon boarding to make a reservation.

Have fun!

The Portifino Rrestaurant has the same menu each night. You might want to check the menu in the Compass Rose so you don't book the Portifino on an evening when Compass Rose will be featuring an entree you really like.

Thank you for the replies.

dolphins: can one see the menus for the week at Compass Rose on embarkation? It seemed from posts that one needs to make their Portofino's restaurant on embarkation day due to its popularity. Hence, I didn't think we could wait later in the week for when a night when entrees are not favorites and then make the reservation??

The menus for all of the restaurants are usually left at reception around 11:00 a.m. for you to look at. We just left it to the same day to book at Portifinos after comparing menus. They were full when we inquired but then we asked to be put on a waiting list. People always cancel at the last moment and we found out we were in around 5:00 p.m. same day by a phone message waiting for us in the cabin.

I went to Portofino's twice during my cruise and the only reason I went is because the people I met were going to dine their and asked me to join. That being said, I was disappointed and would have definitely preferred the Dining Room but I went for the company and not the food.

I would go on the nights that the theme was not something you are interested in. One of the nights I went was the night that featured Rack of Lamb which I particularly like and I would have preferred to the choices at Portofino's.

Usually on embarkation day, the amibiance on the ship is very casual. I make my reservations for that night and then you can have a choice a second time.

We did that in June on our cruise to Bermuda and it was perfect and we are doing the same on our Sept 22nd cruise to New England/Canada. We like Compass Rose and we did eat twice at Portofino - both nights were superb!

I have to agree that we thought Portofinos food was not quite as good as in the Compass Rose but you must try it once at least so you can compare. However, the strolling musician in Portofinos made the atmosphere and made up for what the food lacked so I guess it's a trade off.

Archived