Ft Lauderdale or Miami????

randrea

We are going on the Jewel 1/18 out of Miami.

My TA said that we could fly into Ft Lauderdale & shuttle to the port from there. She said it's only about a 20 minute drive.

Is this true??

Does anyone know if it's better to do it that way or just go straight into Miami. The prices really aren't that much different. I'm just looking for the less stressful route.

Thanks,

Andrea

I'm just looking for the less stressful route.

I don't know what the shuttle to and from FLL and the port is like....

But I can tell you that FLL is a much smaller airport. It's much faster to manuver through. Less flights, Less people and shorter lines than Miami. I have been to the Miami area a few times for vacation. I havn't cruised out of there yet. I do prefer to fly into FLL over Miami. It's just an easier airport to deal with.

jbrecalde

FLL is not much further, but it is further than MIA. 25 miles vs 4.2

maps.google.com answers all the questions!

Here is the map to MIA

vs

map to FLL

Traffic potential increase. If you can save money, then FLL is the way to go. Personally, if the cost is about the same, then I go for MIA. If you are trying to catch an early flight and need to reduce potential for delays, then MIA works. If you are doing an afternoon flight anyways, then either works.

I have to agree with GaryCarla.

FLL is a nicer, samller airport but the shuttle will cost more and take more like 45 min to an hour to reach Port of Miami. If your air cost is about the same I would fly to Miami where the shuttles are waiting outside the gate and you can easily grab one to your hotel or right to the pier.

The shuttle from FLL could potentially run into traffic (Orange bowl if Miami is playing) or accidents and that can tie you up for hours. It would also effect traffic in Miami but they can use alternate roads to get to the pier.

Have a great cruise,

Ruth :cool:

We had our TA arrange flights on Southwest for us and they also arranged for NCL roundtrip transfers in and out of Fort Lauderdale. The round trip cost for us is $40 per person. Thing is, our inbound flight gets us into FL at 10:50, so we should have plenty of time, even if we do get stuck in traffic.

I would think if NCL is doing the transfers, they are responsible for getting you there in time, and the ship would have to wait. I would look into that option.

Thanks guys for all the info.

It's only about $40 cheaper to fly to Ft Lauderdale, so I think we'll just go straight to Miami.

I am nervous about getting stuck in traffic and either missing the ship or our return flight. We are booking air on our own, so it's not like the ship will wait for us.

Our flights are pretty good, we will arrive at 12:55Pm so there's plenty of time to get to the ship and we don't depart until 1:50 going home.

Thanks again,

Andrea

It's only about $40 cheaper to fly to Ft Lauderdale, so I think we'll just go straight to Miami.

I am nervous about getting stuck in traffic and either missing the ship or our return flight. We are booking air on our own, so it's not like the ship will wait for us.

Our flights are pretty good, we will arrive at 12:55Pm so there's plenty of time to get to the ship and we don't depart until 1:50 going home.

Thanks again,

Andrea

We are flying into FLL and out of MIA. If the flights were the same cost we would fly into MIA. However, since we are arriving a day early and renting a car it does not matter. We also have the US Airways 1:50pm home. I was told a taxi to MIA averaged $25 vs $75.00 to FLL.

We had our TA arrange flights on Southwest for us and they also arranged for NCL roundtrip transfers in and out of Fort Lauderdale. The round trip cost for us is $40 per person. Thing is, our inbound flight gets us into FL at 10:50, so we should have plenty of time, even if we do get stuck in traffic.

I would think if NCL is doing the transfers, they are responsible for getting you there in time, and the ship would have to wait. I would look into that option.

re: NCL waiting for you. Within reason they may wait. Not sure exactly where they draw the line, but ships pretty much seem to leave ontime. If you were a few hours late and everyone else was running on time, don't count on it. And, if NCL is doing the air, they would fly you to the next port, but who wants to do that? And, if NCL is not doing the air, not sure how long they wait for you to show up to catch the shuttle or the ship.

Taxis are always the easiest and fastest. So, even if they were waiting for the shuttle or the flight, you would get to the ship before the other people that they were waiting for.

Almost 4 million cruisers go through the Port of Miami annually, 12,000 passengers every weekend. Let's just say they have it down to a science...I wouldn't give it another thought. ;)

/////////////

Thanks again,

Andrea

I'm not trying to scare you but do you have a direct flight to MIA/FLL? If you have a connection make sure there is plenty of time between flights in case the firsit leg is late. So many things can delay a flight these days. Our luggage didn't get on the right flight of the second leg so we had to spend time tracking that down too. Luckily it was on a flight an hour behind ours. Flying into MIA will save you $$ as far as getting to the port (taxi $70 each way or shared ride at $20pp each way). If at all possible fly in the day before and get to the port by 10:30 in the morning. That way you can be rested from the trip down and get on board around 11-11:30 and enjoy every minute of your cruise. They will be serving lunch in the Windjammer so take advantage of boarding early. It's also fun walking around the ship exploring. Enjoy your cruise!

Archived