Santorini Bars

JaneBP

Just curious, my sil has a treasured and tattered t-shirt from the 'Smash Bar' on Santorini. I would love to replace it, but Googling doesn't show it. She got it about 10 years ago, and I am well aware of the sometimes fleeting existence of watering holes. Any suggestions, ideas, former patrons? Thanks.

Thanks, Jack for the detective work!

Jane--are you always hanging out in bars? You know there are other things to do--I think!!! I guess bars aren't all that bad!!!Don

Actually, no, Don. I hang out in the American Bar at the Stafford in London, the Seabourn Sky Bars; and Charlie John's is a general store, not a pub!

I have never been to Santorini, but will be there soon and thought I could find out about the bar. Christmas is coming and a t-shirt from there would be a coup. Otherwise, I doubt I will get off the Spirit, preferring to enjoy the island sight from the SkyBar or the forward jacuzzi. Funiculars and/or steps are not that appealing for me, but for a t-shirt (and a few drinks) then I will re-consider.

Just curious, my sil has a treasured and tattered t-shirt from the 'Smash Bar' on Santorini. I would love to replace it, but Googling doesn't show it. She got it about 10 years ago, and I am well aware of the sometimes fleeting existence of watering holes. Any suggestions, ideas, former patrons? Thanks.

Take a look at www.santorini.com

:p T&T

Jane,

Another suggestion is to go to Trip Advisor Message Forum (Greece-Santorini) and ask the local expert: Nick Arch

The bar may have gone by the wayside:cool: ~~~

I love to google and looked for you on this site:

http://www.santorini-gr-santorini.com/cafe-bar/

NO cigar!

Perhaps you can replace the old Tee with a new BAR Tee~~~

MB

Jane,

Santorini.......my favorite spot. There's a bus that runs up the "hill", the cable cars or the steps. (Be very wary of the steps as mules frequent them and leave their "marks".):eek:

IMHO, the archeological dig is the most fascinating. You can walk through a town that's over 2000 years old. The second most fascinating are the "tavernas" (really).

Most are family owned with wonderful food and drink. You are welcomed with open arms if you even attempt to speak Greek and many have local entertainment during the evening.

If you enjoy seafood, the psari plaki (baked fish with olive oil, tomatoes and olives) is to die for. Hope you enjoy your visit and I will check in tomorrow. Jack

Thanks everyone! I had 'googled' several sites and couldn't find it. However, figured that someone here might know...PittsburghJack is willing to help someone from that 'liberal city at the other end of the state' that drains the state's finances!

Martha, if I can't get a t-shirt, I plan on giving her a credit on her next Seabourn cruise (Baltic, '08). She can buy her own new shirts. I doubt you remember, but you met them on the last Gilligan's island cruise.

Didn't take them long (12 hours or so) to get hooked.

I have schlepped around ruins in Greece for several weeks when I was younger, and now, appreciating them from afar (sometimes very afar) might suit me better. We'll see.

Jane you are going to love Santorini--as you probably know the town is located on the "edge" of an old volcano--as you sail in you go by the cap. Jack mentioned a bus to the top--we have done the mules and the gondola--take the bus!!! The damn mules spend the whole time you are riding trying to brush you off--After the mule ride you will find people don't like to stand to close to you, or they will hold there nose. Did you know how Charlie Johns first came to Speculator? He came to town to referee basketball games--did you also know that Kirk Douglas and Carl Maulden both were working the Tamarack Playhouse on Piseco Lake when we there!Don

Don, I knew Kirk Douglas was from Amsterdam, his sister used to be one of the cashiers at the Price Chopper.

Jack, I doubt I will elect to walk anywhere, unless it's to the loo in a taverna. The idea of some great fish dishes is divine, that's for sure.

I was hoping for a taxi to hire.

Might I suggest Pelikanos in Qia? It has "the view" seen in many brochures and, believe it or not, incredible "pizza". It is worth the trip.

I also agree that the Minoan ruins are not to be missed. (There is a red sand beach right next to it if interested.)

Jane,

Sorry for the delay. My friend said the Smash Bar is no longer. He thinks it's now Gyro-Gyro.

While Mrs. Jack is on a shopping trip, I usually set my GPS for the nearest saloon (very effective). ;) If you enjoy desert wines, try some Santori Mavrodafni.........goes exteremly well with a sunset. Have a great time. Jack

Archived