Is a Luau a "Must Do"?

Fishingshoes

We had never been until last year and we went to the Old Lahaina Luau on Maui. Yes, I thought it was a must do. Food was pretty good, ate poi, roast pig, etc. Entertainment was great. Beautiful setting. It is something I will never forget about our trip.

Suebee,

I heard one person compare a luau to a circus--an event that a person would enjoy at least once, but not necessarily every year. Would you say that this is the case?

Orderby

I can agree with that....I wouldnt call it a circus, but the food, entertainment and atmosphere are generally the same from place to place, so it would not be as exciting the second time around. If the food at our second Luau didnt blow away the first, it wouldnt have been any different for us.

If you've never been to Hawaii, it is a nice piece of Hawaiian culture to experience. Sure, it is designed today for tourists but it's a very enjoyable evening. We also did the Old Lahaina Luau and had a great time.

• 2 weeks later...

We are going to Hawaii in Dec. Could any one let us know how they got to the Old Lahaini Luau from the cruise ship pier. Also how much it cost they to get there and back. We are thinking of doing it. But wonder if the price will be very high.

We did the Royal Hawaiian Luau on Waikiki; It was a very entertaining evening and the food, drink and entertainment were all first rate; We just walked up the beach from the Moana Surfrider hotel. A luau and Pearl Harbor would seem to be "must do's" on the first visit to Hawaii (Honolulu). Oh yes, this luau is at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel (the pink lady).

Thanks for the info on the Royal Hawaiian Luau. We're planning on going there in Nov. For most of the visitors to this board, unless they are doing a pre or post cruise stay that covers Monday on Oahu, it's not possible for them to do the Royal Hawaiian.

Sorry, I don't know what the cost of a taxi for the Old Lahaina Luau may be. It's about a 45 minute walk from the pier that in late afternoon could be a bit warm/humid. There is bus service that goes between Kaanapali and the pier that would probably offer that as one of the stops as it's across from a shopping mall.

If you're driving, there is plenty of parking available there. Parking around the pier is another matter.

Okay, I've got a slightly different opinion. DH and I have been to Hawaii together 4 times, but have never gone to a luau. To be honest, I don't feel I've missed anything. We have been to many local events (sort of serendipity--if we happen to be there at the time, we go) and have experienced a great deal of Hawaiian culture. I just don't think a luau is that big a deal. I'd much rather go back to the palace, see the sights, or snorkel in the ocean. DH used to work 2 weeks or so every 3 months in Hawaii, so he's been there many more times than I have. Still, he says he'll take me to a luau if I want to go, but I honestly have no desire.

Anyway, I've heard that Old Lahaina is really good if you do want to go. I know the location is fabulous--right on the ocean with gorgeous views.

beachchick

With so much to do in Hawaii, I don't know if it's a "must do" if there are other things you really really want to do instead, but I think a luau is a great way to spend an evening. I've always enjoyed them.

I attended my fist one years ago when I lived there (can't remember which on it was now).

Two years ago we rented a beach house on Sunset Beach, and went to the luau at the Polynesean Cultural Center, had a great time, and really enjoyed the food. The show in the ampatheater after dinner was very good. In case it matters, they do not serve alchohol at this one.

This year we're going to try the Paradise Cove Luau pre-cruise on Oahu, and Feast at Lele in Maui.

Archived