Excursions tips for the seabourn legend cruise 05.12.2007 Caldera to Fort Lauderdale

cruiseboss76

Hi guys,

we go on this cruise in a few weeks and we are interessed which excursions are worth to make.

I think some of you have already done this cruise and can give good tips.

We are from Germany, Munich an fly to San Jose on 04 of december.

We have book the Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose and have already booked the transfer with seabourn to caldera which is a 2 hour ride.

I hope somebody can help us with excursions.

It´s our secound trip with Seabourn.

I hope to hear from you.

Cruiseboss76,

As an engineer, I am toatally enamored with the technical details of the Panama Canal and have done 4 transits in the last 2+ decades. You were wise to book the costa Rica Marriott as it is practically next to the airport (afer your long flights from Germany) but you will not hear planes taking off or landing all hours of the day and night and also the Seabourn transfer to the ship in Puerto Caldera. You will like the hotel as it has beautiful grounds for strolling and it reminded me of the nearby coffee plantations.

This topic of excursions has been discussed before so I did a quick check of past threads deep in the archives and have posted the links below for you to read. After reading if you have any questions, please post and we will try and answer.

[thread]575295[/thread]

[thread]458721[/thread]

[thread]356910[/thread]

[thread]306365[/thread]

Don't know if you can find it in Germany, but I urge anyone passing thru the canal read the book "The Path Between the Seas" by David McCullough. It's the history of building the canal. It's a long book but well worth reading--it will make your passage much more interesting! It even covers the French effort to it in the late 1800s. I'm sure you will enjoy your stay in San Jose, and the transfer to Caldera is interesting--you will learn much about Costa Rican coffee, and learn about another Costa Rican export--butterflies! Don

Archived