Venice Question

For sailing INTO Venice, a cabin on the Starboard side will afford you the beautiful views of St. Marks Square, Doge's Palace, the Cathedral, etc. This is by far the most popular view when entering/leaving Venice.

That being said, I now others have commented on the beauty of the opposite view, which is of Lido and the outer islands.

Either way, the best part is that you are arriving in Venice!!!

For sailing INTO Venice' date=' a cabin on the Starboard side will afford you the beautiful views of St. Marks Square, Doge's Palace, the Cathedral, etc. This is by far the most popular view when entering/leaving Venice.

That being said, I now others have commented on the beauty of the opposite view, which is of Lido and the outer islands.

Either way, the best part is that you are arriving in Venice!!![/quote']

Call me a dumb cruiser, but is Starboard the right hand side or left hand side if you are looking towards front of ship?:p :o

I'm just as dumb..I didn't have a clue, but I believe it is the right hand side if you are facing towards the front of the ship.

My TA was looking for a port side cabin for me as she said it would be the best view when in the ports, but they were all booked so I'm on the opposite side, which is on the right as you face forward.

That said, I'm quite happy. I can go on deck for the sailaway..we too arrive back in the morning so I can order breakfast in my cabin & sit on the balcony & soak up the view.:)

Sparky you confused me for a minute and then realized that you are doing a roundtrip Venice cruise:) I already have my cabin on the right hand side, so I guess I'm okay for viewing in the morning coming into Venice. Thanks:D

I'm just as dumb..I didn't have a clue, but I believe it is the right hand side if you are facing towards the front of the ship.

This is correct - as you stand facing the front of the ship, starboard is on your right.

Cleo,

I don’t want to be difficult, but I would suggest you be up on deck (like by the pool) as you pull into Venice. We were on the Brilliance of the Seas this past summer, and seeing Venice from way up on one of the top decks was truly magnificent. I guess it helped that the ship was playing opera music over the PA (DW said it was something from “Phantom”) but being up there for the arrival in Venice was one of the highlights of the trip to me.

With due respect to your plan to see it from your balcony as you take your breakfast - sharing the splendor of that moment with the others – hearing them gasp, ooh and ah, just added to our overall experience. (It kind of reminded me when we were up on deck in Glacier Bay, Alaska, and the buzz on deck when a glacier calved off a huge chunk. Seeing the looks on everyone faces just added to the experience.)

However you get your first glimpse of the city that appears to float on the sea, you will enjoy it immensely, I’m sure. :)

Cleo' date='

I don’t want to be difficult, but I would suggest you be up on deck (like by the pool) as you pull into Venice. We were on the Brilliance of the Seas this past summer, and seeing Venice from way up on one of the top decks was truly magnificent. I guess it helped that the ship was playing opera music over the PA (DW said it was something from “Phantom”) but being up there for the arrival in Venice was one of the highlights of the trip to me.

With due respect to your plan to see it from your balcony as you take your breakfast - sharing the splendor of that moment with the others – hearing them gasp, ooh and ah, just added to our overall experience. (It kind of reminded me when we were up on deck in Glacier Bay, Alaska, and the buzz on deck when a glacier calved off a huge chunk. Seeing the looks on everyone faces just added to the experience.)

However you get your first glimpse of the city that appears to float on the sea, you will enjoy it immensely, I’m sure. :)[/quote']

Well, if the ship makes a "production" out of arrival in Venice, I sure will be up on deck! Thanks for the advice:D

For sailing INTO Venice' date=' a cabin on the Starboard side will afford you the beautiful views of St. Marks Square, Doge's Palace, the Cathedral, etc. This is by far the most popular view when entering/leaving Venice.

quote']

Unfortunately we won't be arriving in Venice, just sailing from there. Is starboard still the best side? Doesn't the ship have to turn around to leave (so that it's starboard as you arrive and port as you depart)? Sorry if I'm missing something (but hopeful I am wrong b/c we have a starboard balcony cabin!)

I just sailed into Venice on August 4th and you would want to be on the Starboard side for the best views. I was on the portside and I spent the morning on the Lido deck. It was so exciting and they played Opera music and "Time to Say Goodbye" by Andrea Bocelli. I still can't get that song out of my head!

I just sailed into Venice on August 4th and you would want to be on the Starboard side for the best views. I was on the portside and I spent the morning on the Lido deck. It was so exciting and they played Opera music and "Time to Say Goodbye" by Andrea Bocelli. I still can't get that song out of my head!

What ship were you on? Wondering if all ships play the music as you enter Venice.

Having sailed into venice a few months ago, the best place is high up on the front where you can see the pproach into Venice, with St. Marks and the Doges Palace growing larger on the horizon.

The ship will not sail down the Grand Canal, but sails past the mouth of the Grand Canal into the Giudecca. As you go past on the way in, St. Marks Square, Doges Palace and entrance to the Grand Canal along with almost all other interesting sights are on your right, and on the left when you leave the port.

It may be heretical to say so here, but having visited Venice several times by land and air, watching the big cruise ships go past St. Marks they are highly intrusive and totally out of scale to their surroundings, with the intrusion made worse by loud music. The same applies to the "Gondola Serenades". A gondola ride is a magical experience. However, amplified music adds nothing (and IMHO detracts from the experience) and is usually unpleasant and out of keeping for those on the canal sides.

Paul S

We were on the starboard (right) side as we sailed into Venice, and it was a wonderful view of the city. It was also noon, and all the church towers started to chime. They don't all start at the same time so it went on and on forever! What a welcome!!! We could hear the music from the Lido but decided to stay on our balcony. I still get chills thinking of it, fabulous! We were on the Carnival Freedom. As we left the Port (left) side of the ship was the view. We decided to go up on the Lido as they were having people wear their just purchased masks. The music, the dancing, the views, it was crazy! We sure didn't want to leave.

Archived