Morning mist/fog a problem on helicopter/glacier trek??

sarahjane

We have a helicopter glacier trek planned with Northstar in Juneau. It is a 4+ hour tour scheduled to depart at 8 a.m. (late July). Supposed to be around 30 minutes flight time and 2 hours on the glacier. Is there frequently a problem with early morning mist and/or fog?

Will it affect the visibility throughout the whole tour? What about the glacier landing for the trek? It would be so disappointing if they cancelled our excursion because of fog. Has this happened to anyone? If fog interference is very likely, perhaps we should switch to the afternoon tour? We do prefer to go in the morning, all other things being equal.

Advice?

thanks

sarahjane

Serenade to Alaska 7/25/04!!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=da70d6&cdt=2004;7;25;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Serenade 7/04

Enchantment 1/04

Voyager 7/02

Majesty 2/01

You can't predict the future and no guarantees. Yes flights cancel all the time due to conditions- usually visability. Since it is already booked, Go with it!! icon_smile.gif I hope for the best for you.

I keep seeing comments about morning mist on this list. I don't know where this rumor got started, but it just isn't a vaid concern. The mountains are at least as likely to spawn afternoon clouds and turbulence as the sea is to form morning mist. As BQ says, just go for it and have fun!

Murray

Hey, Sarahjane, we're, also, on the Serenade July 25th. And, we can't wait! It will be my husband, myself, and our 6 year old son (who spends every waking monent in the kid's program). So, my husband and I have several (we hope)fun excursions planned. I, mostly, just want to see "nature". We've never been to Alaska and have only been in the Northwest to snow ski in January. July can't get here fast enough.

Carole

Hi famcruiser!

Great to hear from you! We, too, are really getting excited about this trip. My husband and I are bringing our 19 y.o. son and 17 y.o. daughter along. What excursions do you have planned so far?

We are for sure doing the Hike & Float the Chilkoot Trail in Skagway, and maybe also the Glacier Lake Kayak & Railway.

In Juneau, the kids & I are going on the Helicopter Glacier Trek while my hubby goes fishing in the morning. Then hopefully we will just browse around the town for a while in the afternoon. We couldn't seem to squeeze in the whale-watching tour and still be sure to get back to the ship on time! Too bad the time in port is so SHORT!

In Ketchikan I am going fishing with hubby, and the kids are going SNORKELING! that sounds so cool!

Join the meet & mingle for our cruise!

happy planning!

sarahjane

Serenade to Alaska 7/25/04!!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=da70d6&cdt=2004;7;25;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Serenade 7/04

Enchantment 1/04

Voyager 7/02

Majesty 2/01

We have done two Alaska cruises and missed our morning Hellicopter ride on first trip. I would try to rebook an afternoon trip to be safe. Last year we took afternoon ride and it was great, but the people booked in the morning were again cancelled due to fog.

Tropicale 11/90,Norway 06/92

Festivale 11/92,Jubilee 12/93

Celebration 11/95, Tropicale 10 day 11/96, Imagination 11/97, Ectasy 11/98, Fantasy 12/98, Inspiration 06/99

Triumph 10 day 12/99

Imagination 11/00, Sky 06/01

Holiday 11/01, Horizon 01/02

Mercury 11/02, Holiday 12/02

Summit 06/03, Constellation 11/03

cruisingrandy

Sarahjane,

We have booked the "Pilot's Choice" helicopter tour at 10:45 a.m. for Junneau, the White Pass Rail & Trail Camp Adventure for Skagway, and one of the Totem tours for Ketchikan. Otherwise, we just like to wander around the towns we visit; shop, and, generally, play tourist. You guys sound much more adventurous. I, really, wanted to either whale watch or go to one of the spots for bear viewing. But, we did whale watching in the Northeast several years ago, so we decided to try something else. And, apparently, we may be too early in the season to see many bears. Anyway, we're excited to go! And, if there's something we miss this time, we'll have to go back another time. icon_smile.gif We've already signed up for the Meet & Mingle, so we'll see you there!

Carole

Archived