What to pack for January?

Traveler2222

We will be sailing from New Zealand to Sydney in January, and then continuing on a post-cruise trip to The Great Barrier Reef. It looks like most ports in New Zealand will be in the low 70's during the day, and it's much hotter up around Cairns. Does everybody dress pretty casually? Will I need a raincoat? Any advice will be appreciated.

As I live in the tropics (central Queensland, Aus) I believe that NZ (especially the South Island )can be very cool in summer . We are cruising the NZ ports in Feb 08 and I will be in taking long sleeved tops, slacks or long shorts. A wind/waterproof spray jacket would be good for windy on-deck and port days.They don't weigh much. Definitely take a pullover too. The GBR in January ought to be its usual humid and sunny self, so loose, casual clothing is best. Yes, lifestyle is casual in our tropics. Hopefully cyclone season will be late, so January will be great for swimming. Enjoy your cruise and holiday.

Cheers,

Kinkacruiser

We will be sailing from New Zealand to Sydney in January, and then continuing on a post-cruise trip to The Great Barrier Reef. It looks like most ports in New Zealand will be in the low 70's during the day, and it's much hotter up around Cairns. Does everybody dress pretty casually? Will I need a raincoat? Any advice will be appreciated.

This web site may help:

http://www.tourism.net.nz/new-zealand/about-new-zealand/weather-and-climate.html#temperatures

While the average temperatures are quite moderate, Christchurch (in particular) can get as hot as 30 degrees C in January. Dunedin and Milford Sound will be a little cooler.

Dress is fairly casual in NZ, but you will probably need a sweater or fleece for the evenings.

• 4 weeks later...

I would Dress very casually - and cool. Unless you are going out to an upmarket restuarant, I would not even bother with more formal clothes.

Most people dress very casually as anything else would cook you.

Dont bother with a raincoat either. If you need it, you can always buy one for as little as $5.

We did our cruise in January and I only put shorts on in Sydney - they had a really rainy January that year and it was cool in most ports in NZ. It was aining heavily in Melbourne, so it was cool there too. Make sure you bring along a jacket, some long pants, but also a couple cooler tops and shorts. If you need something warmer or cooler, there are tons of relly great stores to shop in. I got some beautifully embroidered tee shirts and my favorite sweatshirt along the way.

Charlie

Archived