Taxi to Cockleshell?

Kim

I checked the taxi rates and didn't find this. Anyone know how much to Cockleshell and how is the beach there?? We had planned on going to Turtle Bay, but I guess as of yet there are no facilities open there. Any pics of Cockleshell would be great!

Thanks

Liz - There are six of us, we were planning on a few hours at cockleshell while in St. Kitts. What should we expect, I take it there are no vendors renting $5 chairs. Is this more of a local beach and we should plan on sitting on towels? It seems it may be better to sit at Reggae rather than Lions Beach bar. Are the two close together?? Thanks for the help.

Dear Liz,

First, I'd like to say I think it's great that you provide so much information for so many of us who have no idea where to go or what to do on St. Kitt's. We want to maximize our visit, but have so very little time. You are a wealth of information and gracious enough to share it with all of us!!

I'd like to ask you about Carnival in St. Kitt's. We will be in St. Kitt's on Sunday, December 30th (from 12:00-6:00...not much time:( ) Is this during the Carnival celebration? If so, what can we expect?

I'm very much a beach bar, beach bum type, as well as my family. We're thinking of going to S. Frigate Bay to enjoy the beach bars there, hang out, relax, maybe rent wave runners.........but I'm also very intrigued by Cockleshell. I LOVE the idea that it's laid back and very clost to an authentic Caribbean vibe......but I also realize that locals don't always enjoy tourists and you've mentioned that on Sundays, a lot of locals go to Cockleshell to enjoy their day. We've been in that situation before (on other islands) and, althought nothing bad ever happened, there was a weird vibe. I'd like to avoid that and respect their space. BUT, I'm a huge, huge, huge, reggae fan and think I'd like to see the Reggae Beach Bar!!!

Is there any food available at either Lion's or Reggae? I'm as white as you can get.......are umbrella rentals available at either Cockleshell or S. Frigate? If not, I can pack my own.

UGH.......decisions, decisions. I'll be traveling with my husband and 2 teenage boys. Do you think S. Frigate would be better for us?

Thanks for all you do!!!!!

Sincerely,

Cruisinat

Looking forward to your answers here!!!! We've got serious beach bar fans, Caribbean music lovers... and a famous home made rum punch would be fabulous. Need some lounge chairs for some people in our group, but stools at the bar are perfect for others :)

Thank you for helping many of us make a decision in advance, saving us precious beach time.

My family is from St. Kitts and St. Kitts is my passion. :) I enjoy helping tourists plan their day in St. Kitts.

For more information on carnival visit http://myislands.myeyez.net/forum/index.php?topic=1467.0

Cockleshell is an excellent choice for you and your family. Locals won't bother you while you are there. Kittians are very friendly. Both Lion's Beach Bar & Reggae Beach Bar serves food. Lion didn't have many chairs or umbrellas available for rent when I was there. This might have changed.

There might be umbrellas for rent at Mr. X's Shiggidy Shack. Chaise lounges are available for rent. www.mrxshiggidyshack.com

Reggae is be a full service beach bar with free chairs, umbrellas, snorkel equipment rentals, delicious food and tropical drinks. When the owner had his bar at Turtle Beach his mango coladas were excellent.

South Frigate Bay has water sports rentals available and it is usually a very busy beach when cruise ships are in port. Cockleshell is more laid back and "the real" Caribbean.

Have a great time in St. Kitts!

Do you know how much a taxi would be to Cockleshell? Thanks!!:confused:

Dear Liz,

Thank you for your help. I'm glad that, as tourists, we won't be a bother to locals on the day we are visiting St. Kitts. I think we'll give Cockleshell Beach a try!

Do you think there will be any Carnival festivities going on where we get off the ship? It would be nice to see a little of the celebration before heading to the beach. So much to do........so little time!!!

Thank you, again!!

Cruisinkat

Do you know how much a taxi would be to Cockleshell? Thanks!!:confused:

I contacted Thenford Grey about transportation to Cockleshell. Even tho he can't accomodate us, he provided the following information:

"...when you get off the ship at Port Zante there will be official dispatchers who will assign an authorised taxi for you. The taxi system is well regulated and there is no need to pre-book a ride to the beach. The return trip for 2 is $52.00 U.S. but it would be the same for as many as 4 so if you get others to join you it will cost you less.

One way trip to Cockleshell for 1 to 4 persons = $26.00

Return trip (round trip) to Cockleshell for 1 to 4 persons = $52.00

For numbers greater than 4 it is $6.50 per person one way and $13.00 return."

Lori

We rented some beach chairs at Lion's Beach Bar last November; they were $5 each. We spent 15 minutes in the chairs, and the rest of the day swimming, walking the beach, and eating/drinking in shade at Lion's. ;) Awesome BBQ ribs, and try the Lion Punch! :D

I contacted Thenford Grey about transportation to Cockleshell. Even tho he can't accomodate us, he provided the following information:

"...when you get off the ship at Port Zante there will be official dispatchers who will assign an authorised taxi for you. The taxi system is well regulated and there is no need to pre-book a ride to the beach. The return trip for 2 is $52.00 U.S. but it would be the same for as many as 4 so if you get others to join you it will cost you less.

One way trip to Cockleshell for 1 to 4 persons = $26.00

Return trip (round trip) to Cockleshell for 1 to 4 persons = $52.00

For numbers greater than 4 it is $6.50 per person one way and $13.00 return."

Lori

Lori - Thank you for the information - I've printed it out and will take it with us.

Tami

I was at Cockelshell Beach last week off the Miracle. We took a van (cab) from off the ship for $6o round trip for 4 people. Did not rent chairs we stayed in Lion's most of the time drinking rum punch and eating ribs (excellent) was very cloudy and rainy, water was warm but not able to snorkel. Well worth the trip.

I checked the taxi rates and didn't find this. Anyone know how much to Cockleshell and how is the beach there?? We had planned on going to Turtle Bay, but I guess as of yet there are no facilities open there. Any pics of Cockleshell would be great!

Thanks

A Taxi to cockleshell is US$40.00 return fare and there are facilities there this is one of our best beaches. i highly recommend

• 3 weeks later...

If we take a taxi to either of these beaches and have negotiated a return fare (round trip fare) how do we know that they will come back for us? Do we agree on a time? Or are we better off just taking a one-way and hoping there will be cabs there looking for passengers?

Hi Liz. Thanks for your info - most informative. Any idea how long it takes in a taxi from the cruise pier to cockleshell beach. Also, don't suppose you know a cab driver known as Bobsie do you. Long shot I know but we used him a couple of years ago and want to book him again. (We did email him on our return as we wanted to send some money to him for a return trip we were not able to make). His email was prince something or other. It'd be great to meet up with him again.

We took a taxi just two weeks ago - ant remember the exact price I think it was 15 dollars return for the two of us. Beach was just gorgeous - two beach bars and the most beautful long strip of sand - loads of shells - thus the name Cockellshell!! A bucket of 6 ice cold beers was 12 dollars - we rented beds for 5 dollars each incl umbrella - but only umbrella available at the furthest away part of the beach - be sure to get one - relax and enjoy this little piee of paradise

• 3 weeks later...

We shared a cab (mini-van) with two people (four total) to Cockleshell last week. We were quoted $13 US per person RT. We did not pay the driver (at his suggestion) until he returned for us at the time we requested. He did return as promised, but he had a group of 5 or 6 people he had been touring the island with. No problem, there was plenty of room. So we paid him in full when he dropped us off at the port.

The beach was very nice. Cushioned lounge chairs were available for $5 each, and umbrellas were $5. Nice sand, not too rocky, calm water, lots of shells, not very crowded. The waitresses from the Reggae Beach Bar provided drink service on the beach, if you wanted it.

Minor complaint . . . politely aggressive women trolled the beach trying to sell aloe foot massages. They went away when you said "no", but there were several of them, so you had to say no to each one.

Overall, this was one of my favorite stops on our cruise.

Lori

Liz P... the RCI excursion "Turtle beach" transfer has been changed to Reggae Beach" transfer... is there a Reggae beach or is it Cockleshell they will be referring to with Reggae beach bar? Thought you would know! Looks like all ships will not be xferred there instead of Turtle Beach so it might not be quite as tranquil:confused: ... hope it doesnt spoil things. The transfer with tour on the way for 4.5 hours total is $37 USD PP.Hollyanna

Archived