Alaska guide books?

Barek

I love all the information that can be found on these boards - the information here has provided a wealth of knowledge, likely more than can be found in any guide book.

But, I'm a habitual planner (and for me, relaxing with a good book is still more comfortable that relaxing with my laptop). When a trip is coming, I love learning all I can ... in the case of cruises, this means restaurant suggestions, good clear maps (not cartoon like renderings), advice on attractions, excursion advice and ratings, etc.

I looked at Amazon.com, and saw a few options. Do others here still use guide books (or are you strictly cruisecritic.com now)? If you still use guidebooks, which ones are your favorites? I picked up one, and was disappointed, so thought I would ask which are people's favorites and why.

My favorite was Frommers Alaska. Fodors Alaska is very similar. Alaska by Cruise ship by Anne Vipond is also very good as is Joe Upton's Alaska Cruise Companion. There are also the free travel guides from the state of Alaska as well as the various areas or cities.

My favorite was Frommers Alaska. Fodors Alaska is very similar. Alaska by Cruise ship by Anne Vipond is also very good as is Joe Upton's Alaska Cruise Companion. There are also the free travel guides from the state of Alaska as well as the various areas or cities.

Thanks! For Frommer's is there much difference between the coverage in "Frommer's Alaska 2008" and " Frommer's Alaska Cruises & Ports of Call 2008"? Was it the first of those two that was your favorite?

I had been leaning towards Fodor's or Frommer's 2008 Alaska Port of Call books, just to get the most current information (they don't come out for another 2-3 months, but the cruise isn't until mid-2008, so no rush at this point). The other book that I mentioned having already bought was well written, but it's noticeable that it's becoming dated on its information as it doesn't get annual updates.

My Frommers Alaska was actually a 2005 edition which I got on Amazon for less than $5 in 2006. The attractions are basicly the same, with only the prices charged a little different. I didn't see the Ports of Call book, but I feel like our ports were covered well enough in the regular Alaska book. You might want to check with your local library before you buy to see which you'd rather purchase to have on hand. I agree with Nancyquilts - if you're going to be doing an interior trip, Milepost is a must! Murrays Guide is also invaluable if you're planning to be in that particular area. Have fun with the rest of your planning! :)

I love all the information that can be found on these boards - the information here has provided a wealth of knowledge, likely more than can be found in any guide book.

But, I'm a habitual planner (and for me, relaxing with a good book is still more comfortable that relaxing with my laptop). When a trip is coming, I love learning all I can ... in the case of cruises, this means restaurant suggestions, good clear maps (not cartoon like renderings), advice on attractions, excursion advice and ratings, etc.

I looked at Amazon.com, and saw a few options. Do others here still use guide books (or are you strictly cruisecritic.com now)? If you still use guidebooks, which ones are your favorites? I picked up one, and was disappointed, so thought I would ask which are people's favorites and why.

Barek, I suggest you go to your local library and check out all the different guidebooks. Once you find the one that you like the best, you can then purchase a new edition of that book. I have found so many different books on Alaska travel (probably over 30) that I keep busy all year long reading and looking at them.

A new edition of the Alaska Cruise Handbook, A Mile by Mile Guide by Joe Upton will be out in November. His books are especially good!

51gum8kPsJL._AA240_.jpg

If you're looking for a great map, we really like this small guide with large fold-out map:

ALASKA & CANADA’S INSIDE PASSAGE CRUISE TOUR GUIDE (2006)

BY GEORGE KING

61PBEXJGH8L._BO2,204,203,200_PIlitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.gif

This is not a traditional planning book, but it was my inspiration for a trip to Alaska. It is "Alaska" by James Michener. A big one at nearly 1000 pages, but gives a great picture of Alaska from the beginning of time. Includes dinosaurs, native cultures, wildlife, the Russians, the American purchase, the gold rush, etc.

The "Moon Handbook" for Alaska is a good comprehensive one.

Also, check out "Alaska By Cruise Ship." *If you order an Alaska brochure from Holland America online, they give you a $5 off coupon for this book.

What's Moon handbook? Sorry, it is the first time I heard of it.

Thanks! For Frommer's is there much difference between the coverage in "Frommer's Alaska 2008" and " Frommer's Alaska Cruises & Ports of Call 2008"? Was it the first of those two that was your favorite?

I had been leaning towards Fodor's or Frommer's 2008 Alaska Port of Call books, just to get the most current information (they don't come out for another 2-3 months, but the cruise isn't until mid-2008, so no rush at this point). The other book that I mentioned having already bought was well written, but it's noticeable that it's becoming dated on its information as it doesn't get annual updates.

If you're just going on a cruise, then I suppose the "ports of call" book will do. The regular Frommer's Alaska has a chapter about Alaska cruises that is excerpted from the cruise book. It also has much more info about all of Alaska, and is invaluable for anyone planning a land trip in addition to or instead of a cruise. I would choose Alaska By Cruise Ship (Anne Vipond) for more specific Alaska cruise-related info, instead of the Frommer's Alaska Cruises and Ports of Call book.

If you're just going on a cruise, then I suppose the "ports of call" book will do. The regular Frommer's Alaska has a chapter about Alaska cruises that is excerpted from the cruise book. It also has much more info about all of Alaska, and is invaluable for anyone planning a land trip in addition to or instead of a cruise. I would choose Alaska By Cruise Ship (Anne Vipond) for more specific Alaska cruise-related info, instead of the Frommer's Alaska Cruises and Ports of Call book.

These books are excellent, if you are only going on a cruise.

However, for the land portion of our journey in Alaska, I found the "Lonely Planet - Alaska" of far more practical use.

These books are excellent, if you are only going on a cruise.

However, for the land portion of our journey in Alaska, I found the "Lonely Planet - Alaska" of far more practical use.

That was also my point. I agree that the cruise books are fine for folks just cruising, but I think the regular Frommer's Alaska has much more info.

Big fan of the Rough Guide series, but would recommend you raid your local library and try before you buy. That said, we were so impressed with the quality of info on these boards that I have now resolved to stop buying travel books and just rely on cruise critic. Interestingly, the Travel section of the Times carried an article by the Lonely Planet founders predicting that travel guides would be a thing of the past within ten years.

Archived