Is there a cheaper way to beach?

Jacky4

Carnival is charging $35.00pp for the Corona Beach excursion, 3.5 hours without food. Does this seem price seem reasonable for a family of 4. Is there a cheaper way for us to get to a nice beach where we can swim and buy lunch? If possible we would like a beach with chairs, umbrellas and maybe kayaks to use or rent?

The beaches in/near Progreso aren't as nice as ones on the eastern side of the Yucatan. The water isn't the beautiful blue, and there tends to be a lot of seaweed. I'm not sure where this excursion would take you, but there is lots of free public beach in Progreso. But I would probably save the beach day for another port that would be more of a beautiful, typical Caribbean beach. But maybe some others would have more information about a nice beach.

I agree with Adamsmom. I don't think you will be very impressed with the beach in Progreso. But if you would like to go to the beach, there is no point in taking the Corona beach break excursion. Just get off the free bus that takes you from the ship to Progreso. Walk past the market and make a left at the next intersection. You will be able to see the beach from there. I know my directions sound vague but I promise when you get there you will have no problems finding the beach.

We saw parasailing, jet ski rentals, banana boat rides, massages, chairs and umbrellas.

DSCF5777.jpg.41cceb4eb466f60533fd2ed2ef6748cb.jpg

DSCF5869.jpg.be8fb785fc38c55237bbb99c90ea7422.jpg

I agree with Adamsmom. I don't think you will be very impressed with the beach in Progreso. But if you would like to go to the beach, there is no point in taking the Corona beach break excursion. Just get off the free bus that takes you from the ship to Progreso. Walk past the market and make a left at the next intersection. You will be able to see the beach from there. I know my directions sound vague but I promise when you get there you will have no problems finding the beach.

We saw parasailing, jet ski rentals, banana boat rides, massages, chairs and umbrellas.

Thanks that's just what I wanted to know. I heard the beaches aren't great but if it's hot I don't want to go on a tour and we will save our money for excursions on Cozumel.

Hey Jack,

Corona Beach is the same one that you can walk to from the flea market/bus stop. It is only a couple of blocks like elizablake said. You can belly up to a table and the waiters will take care of you all day. We ate at Le Saint Bonnet and had our food on the beach on the trip when the wind wasn't blowing 30 MPH. The other time we went in the restuarant. Good, cheap food and good service. Oh, by the way, Coronas were $1 @ when we were there, but someone recently told me they are $2 now.

Be sure to take the $2 bus tour and if you want to see some really neat architecture, go to Merida.

The beach is nice but you will have some seaweed and the wind nearly always blows here, causing the shallow water to be dingy. This is the Gulf of Mexico, and because of the nutrients in the water it has a funky green color that isn't anything like the Caribbean. This same fertile water is the reason that the flamingos are so vivid in this area. Good photo ops if you are into that sort of stuff.

Archived