Want some excitment in Antigua!

heychadwick

Hi Everybody!

I will be travelling to Antigua via the Carnival Destiny in mid Nov. My wife and I will be doing a lot of catamaran snorkel tours in other locations and we are looking for something different in Antigua. We don't want to shop and we don't want to sit around a beach. We want to actually DO something!

There are a few tours via the cruise ship, but they seem a bit expensive and I have a tendancy not to trust the cruise ships. Does anyone have an recommendations for us to do? We are in our 30's. We have been looking at ATV adventures, Jeep adventures, and Canopy adventures. Any and all suggestions welcome.

Thanks!

I am just joking but we had a lot of excitement trying to navigate the tight roads in crowded areas of St. John around 6pm on a Saturday night.:eek:

The excellence is a fast Catamaran which does a circumnavigation of the island. It was pretty rough heading out to Green Island and it had a party atmosphere if you are looking for something like that. We did a lot of beach trips and such while we stayed on the island.

I am sure that you will have a great day visiting this beautiful island.

Karysa

Funny you posted this because my boyfriend was JUST saying the same thing last night! We on the Destiny on Nov 18 and are looking for the same type thing you are. I looked at that Adveture Antigua and it looks pretty cool. I think we may do the eco tour if it isnt already booked up! Good luck to you!

Tiffany

I took a look at the tour company that you provided jlmolner (much thanks!), but the eco-tour just seems to be kayak, snorkel, and hike. We are doing a lot of other hiking and snorkeling on the rest of our cruise that my wife made a comment about maybe being tired of it by the last port.

Does anyone know about any other type of outting? Perhaps a cannopy adventure? There are a few through the ship listing, but they aren't very long and seem a bit expensive.

@ t_nix: I think we are going to be on your ship. We leave PR on the 11th, but can't recall what day we hit Antigua. If you two find anything cool that requires four people to do, let us know! I hate trying to find some sort of decent tour with only two people. You end up paying private tour rates.

heychadwick-

Unfortunatly we are the week after you guys! :( I hope you find something cool to do. What about the zipline? Or I know Carnival isnt offering horseback riding excursions, but prehaps there is an off ship excursion that may have it.

If we can't find anything else to do, we will do the zipline. I am worried that it is only a few hours long, but will eat up all our excursion money.

Too bad I am not a little bit ahead of you or I would post to let you know how things went.

Google something like Monsterat (?spelling) Volcano Helicopter Tours.

I saw pamphlets at the tourist booths at hotels etc. when we were there in March. You can take pictures and the volcano is still active and being monitored.

The other thing that I just thought of is Kite surfing. They do that at Jawahar beach. There is also a sailing resort that has sailing lessons near Jawahar beach as well.

Hope you find something fun to do. Keep us posted!

Karysa

I took a look at the tour company that you provided jlmolner (much thanks!), but the eco-tour just seems to be kayak, snorkel, and hike. We are doing a lot of other hiking and snorkeling on the rest of our cruise that my wife made a comment about maybe being tired of it by the last port.

Does anyone know about any other type of outting? Perhaps a cannopy adventure? There are a few through the ship listing, but they aren't very long and seem a bit expensive.

@ t_nix: I think we are going to be on your ship. We leave PR on the 11th, but can't recall what day we hit Antigua. If you two find anything cool that requires four people to do, let us know! I hate trying to find some sort of decent tour with only two people. You end up paying private tour rates.

Actually, there's no kayaking (that's Paddles). And while there is hiking and snorkeling, Hells Gate is more climbing - and very unique. It still may not be something you want to do, but it's actually different from anything offered on any other island.

Ugh. We are doing so much hiking and snorkeling during the rest of our trip that I just don't want to do anymore. I guess we might just go to one of those bar/resturaunts on the beach and hang out all day in a hammock. It's just too bad that this port is right next to our day at sea. I tend to get too bored if I don't have anything to do for long.

excitement: quad bike tour: http://www.antiguaadventures.com/t-ortx-atv.html although you have to book through the ship if its offered on the ships (like most tours).

jet skis on dickenson bay or at castaways.

stingray city through your ship or with this tour:

helicopter tours.

kitesurfing lessons.

sailing at sunsail.

there is plenty to do.

OK...OK! After much debate and lots of great help from everyone on these boards (thank you ver much), I think I know what we are going to do.

It came down to Eli's Eco Tour or the Ziplines through the ship. I want to do the ziplines through the ship. It looks exciting and I admit that I am scared of heights, but facing my fears is kinda what's exciting about it. I will convince the wife tonight, but I don't think she needs much convincing.

As for the rest of the time, perhaps we will just go down to the beach and eat/drink for a few hours under an umbrella. Hopefully I won't be all pumped up that I can't sit and relax.

Thanks for all the help!

• 1 month later...

OK...I did the canopy tour / zipline through the ship and it was really great! My wife was a little nervous at first, but soon didn't want it to end. I had no fear of heights while there and really enjoyed the obstacle course. The staff was friendly and fun and you could tell they loved their jobs. I had a great time and recommend it to anyone. :)

Congratulations, heychadwick, on seeking out options until you found a great one for you and the spouse.

I am booked on this tour with my ship, Radiance of the Seas, the week of December 7th. My son and his wife are booked with me. I plan on spending the afternoon at Jolly Beach with my sweetheart and the rest of my group that elected to not do the tour.

So, here is my question. Did you have to ride back to the port at St. John's with your ship's transportation van and then get a second taxi van to the beach you viisted that afternoon?

I understand that there are no empty taxis at the Zip Line Tour for a different destination. True?

Archived