Upgrades...when do you find out?

QueensFan

Not that I'm hinging on one IN ANY WAY...

Just curious...for the April 08 QE2 crossing, when, IF, would we find out about any upgrades? Of course, I'm not dependent on one for a great trip (booked a C2 to guarantee that), but if the fairy decides that we've been nice this year, when does he/she/it let us know?

But I'm not dependent on one IN ANY WAY...

On the labor day last year, I got upgraded a few weeks before sailing, then when I got to the pier to get my picture taken for my ID card, the woman said, "you know you were upgraded!" I said I know, to (room whatever it was) She said, "No, you've been upgraded AGAIN to..." (11 deck, I think it was)

Of course, this after I told everyone in cruise critics (and there were, I think 85 of us signed up for the Meet and Mingle) where to find me if anything went awry, like we had to change the time of our meet (Which we did!)

And people have been moved mid-cruise in cases of a problem with the cabin.

Karie

I think the most common time is shortly after the final payments are due--you pay up or surrender your cabin. At that time, the line has a solid count of cabins sold. Of course, they may sell more after this time, but they have to figure that some of the unsold cabins will remain unsold. If they think cheaper cabins will sell better at the last minute, rather than turn away someone who won't pay for a princess grill cabin, they move up a C passenger to a P cabin and resell your old C.

It may be that my TA knows that this is a good time to call and wheedle an upgrade, or it may be coincidence, but the few times we've gone up from C to P it has been around the final payment date.

My TA once told me that you're more likely to move from C to P than M to C. But that was two changes in management ago, so I don't know if it's still true.

Kathy

I think the most common time is shortly after the final payments are due--you pay up or surrender your cabin. At that time, the line has a solid count of cabins sold. Of course, they may sell more after this time, but they have to figure that some of the unsold cabins will remain unsold. If they think cheaper cabins will sell better at the last minute, rather than turn away someone who won't pay for a princess grill cabin, they move up a C passenger to a P cabin and resell your old C.

It may be that my TA knows that this is a good time to call and wheedle an upgrade, or it may be coincidence, but the few times we've gone up from C to P it has been around the final payment date.

My TA once told me that you're more likely to move from C to P than M to C. But that was two changes in management ago, so I don't know if it's still true.

Kathy

First, it depends on the type of sailing. Inventory management for the world cruises is a nightmare and freqently there are mistakes...and oversells.

C to P...... I don't agree with that as the P's tend to go first along with the C1's followed by C2. Guarantees have always been a gamble on the QE2 because 99% of the time, you'll wind up in a cabin nobody else wanted.

QM2 sells from the top.. and the bottom...... with those at the bottom getting the more frequent upgrades. Strictly, Princess style business matrix there. Rarely, do you see upgrads from Britannia to Princess.. and Princess to Queens. Most of the time..... inside to inside. oceanview to obv balcony..

obv balcony gty to obv balcony. B1-3 stay pretty much at the same level. P's stay within P's.. and Q's to Q's. Though I had one P to a Q upgrade which caused all sorts of problems. Two couples traveling together, paying same rate, cross referenced and linked every which way... same amount of days with Cunard... one got upgraded and other didn't. It wasn't pleasant. And it happened at the pier... on a world.......

The A levels are interesting to watch.. and frequently can be a better buy on a gty than cabin assignment.

Upgrades happen more frequently under regional rate codes.. than last minute flash rates.

First, it depends on the type of sailing. Inventory management for the world cruises is a nightmare and freqently there are mistakes...and oversells.

C to P...... I don't agree with that as the P's tend to go first along with the C1's followed by C2. Guarantees have always been a gamble on the QE2 because 99% of the time, you'll wind up in a cabin nobody else wanted.

Although I've heard lots of stories of great cabins at low prices, I'm wary of guarantees for exactly that reason. Because QE2's cabins vary so widely in size, shape, and location (especially at lower price levels) I avoid taking a guarantee. Any time we or my parents or our friends got upgraded on QE2 it was from a specific cabin, not a guarantee.

QM2 sells from the top.. and the bottom...... with those at the bottom getting the more frequent upgrades. Strictly, Princess style business matrix there. Rarely, do you see upgrads from Britannia to Princess.. and Princess to Queens. Most of the time..... inside to inside. oceanview to obv balcony..

obv balcony gty to obv balcony. B1-3 stay pretty much at the same level. P's stay within P's.. and Q's to Q's. Though I had one P to a Q upgrade which caused all sorts of problems. Two couples traveling together, paying same rate, cross referenced and linked every which way... same amount of days with Cunard... one got upgraded and other didn't. It wasn't pleasant. And it happened at the pier... on a world.......

The A levels are interesting to watch.. and frequently can be a better buy on a gty than cabin assignment.

Upgrades happen more frequently under regional rate codes.. than last minute flash rates.

I have no idea what all those codes and rates are--I'm not a TA. And I've only been on QM2 twice, no upgrade either time. I just know that any upgrades I've had on QE2 came shortly after the final payment, and in the case of one very good upgrade on QE2, I know it was to clear out the cheapest cabins for a promotion, and everyone moved up, like Alice's tea party.

What happened to the couples who were separated by the upgrade? Were you able to help them sort it out?

Cunard does not pay a lot of attention to links when they upgrade. They called our TA with an upgrade for my parents one time (they had a connecting cabin, but weren't connected to their friends--someone wanted a connecting cabin, and my parents were upgraded). The first thing our TA said was "Wait a minute, I have two couples traveling together. You have to upgrade both of them." And Cunard did. I think you said it on another thread--if Cunard wants your cabin for some reason, you are in a strong negotiating position, and you should make the most of it.

What happened to the couples who were separated by the upgrade? Were you able to help them sort it out?

Cunard does not pay a lot of attention to links when they upgrade. They called our TA with an upgrade for my parents one time (they had a connecting cabin, but weren't connected to their friends--someone wanted a connecting cabin, and my parents were upgraded). The first thing our TA said was "Wait a minute, I have two couples traveling together. You have to upgrade both of them." And Cunard did. I think you said it on another thread--if Cunard wants your cabin for some reason, you are in a strong negotiating position, and you should make the most of it.

On that world upgrade. It was done at the pier. I received an email from the nonupgraded couple a couple of days later. I was never notified by Cunard ahead of time. The telephone lines from my office to Cunard were smoking. The ship was full. Nothing could be done. And Cunard offered nothing for the inconvenience. It almost cost Cunard two more world bookings for 2009. These folks go every two years. And people wonder why my hair turns white.. and I can't sleep. The cruiselines.. all of them..... are dreadful to work with. During any given day, I spend more time fixing their screwups than anything else. Today, it's fighting with an air/sea department who booked minor children on separate flights from their parents!

Is this some strange form of Cunard inspired wife swapping?? :eek:

HS You're needed here!!!!!!

David

We were at a wife swapping party once. Threw our car keys in the middle of the floor. I got some bloke's stunning blonde. He took one look at my FORMER wife, and kept the keys instead. I said, "but I only have an old banger". He said, I know, that's why I'm keeping the car".

My wife was a treasure. I buried her in the garden.

I wouldn't say my wife was ugly. No need - everybody else did.

etc

etc

etc

We were at a wife swapping party once. Threw our car keys in the middle of the floor. I got some bloke's stunning blonde. He took one look at my FORMER wife, and kept the keys instead. I said, "but I only have an old banger". He said, I know, that's why I'm keeping the car".

etc

etc

etc

Do you have another life writing the things that go in Christmas crackers?:)

etc

etc

etc

Nice to have you back :p

During any given day, I spend more time fixing their screwups than anything else. Today, it's fighting with an air/sea department who booked minor children on separate flights from their parents!

I've heard similar complaints before, and I appreciate your frustration. Honestly, you wonder how some of these people keep their jobs! You go to the trouble to tell a company that certain passengers are linked, or list kids with their parents, and the info disappears. I don't think I have the patience to do your job.

Kathy

Archived