Coral/Island - Caribe Deck Question

drm31078

On the Coral/Island caribe deck there is a forward and aft public viewing balcony. In a previous post I was told that the Dolphin Deck aft public balcony does not have lounge chairs, but the caribe deck aft public balcony does have lounge chairs. What about the forward public viewing balcony on the caribe, does it have lounge chairs too? I am trying to decide if I want a forward interior room or an aft interior room. Any suggestions or anything else I should consider?

There are no chairs on the forward Caribe or Baja deck "secret" viewing areas. We had an obstructed oceanview cabin on the Emerald deck midship (Coral), and I still went up to the forward Baja deck for viewing. I wanted to see where we were going from the front of the ship.

I spent quite a bit of time on the Coral's Caribe aft deck when I wasn't on my balcony. No chairs there - but I was usually moving from one side to another too much to use one anyway! With only one exception, I had that place ALL to myself!! The exception was the day our naturalist was telling everyone they could go there. :D

I spent hours and hours each day on the Caribe deck forward "secret viewing" area. Best vantage point on the ship! No chairs though, but as someone else noted, you are too busy walking back and forth from side to side to sit! :)

It is on Caribe deck, as far forward as you can go. You just walk forward past all the cabins and you come to a wooden door marked "Emergency Exit." Just go right through the door and you will be out on the front of the ship.

I don't think this area is too secret tho because our onboard naturalist came over the loudspeaker and asked those of us on the Caribe deck forward observation area to wave if we saw whales :D

But there are chairs on the aft caribe deck public balcony, correct? I am thinking of getting an aft interior room on the caribe deck to utilize the public balcony with chairs for casual viewing (or when we just want to sit around outside). On the more serious scenic day, we will move around as warranted. Does this seem like a good plan? Or would a forward room be better?

Even lounge chairs on the Caribe aft deck! Not usually the best for viewing, but more private than other places on the ship to relax! The times I was there, I never saw one of those chairs in use - just crew members standing around taking a smoke break. I did like the view from there when we were leaving a port.

Absolutely not! The naturalist often chatted on the mike about the people on the forward decks helping her out with sitings! And once when I was there all alone, she announced to the whole ship "Lady down there on the Caribe deck, I need your room number so I can bring you the pictures I promised" :D I used my fingers to give her my room number, and she showed up later! She's PRICELESS!!

She had a cd of whale pics from the Orca Enterprise trip she'd taken at the same time as I had, but on their other boat. I had been comparing notes with her about the trip after one of her presentations and we'd discussed the great trip we'd had. Unfortunately the cd she gave me didn't work, but we had a great visit when she delivered it!

• 8 months later...

:) Thanks to the CC's for the info on this "secret deck"! We along with about 6 other people spent ALOT of time on this deck on our 6-16-08 cruise. Since the weather was fantastic we were able to be out on the deck both on Glacier viewing days and when sailing at full speed. Just had to bundle up a little more!

But there are chairs on the aft caribe deck public balcony, correct? I am thinking of getting an aft interior room on the caribe deck to utilize the public balcony with chairs for casual viewing (or when we just want to sit around outside). On the more serious scenic day, we will move around as warranted. Does this seem like a good plan? Or would a forward room be better?

It seemed to be the hangout for the smokers....

As most people in that area of the ship have their own balconies, you could have it all to yourself... :D :D :D

Was on Island Princess forward balcony room port side - D220. A very decent location for viewing especially for Glacier Bay yet i preferred being on the pool decks. Found the aft viewing area when I was snooping for laundromat (no, I didn't use it but others were) and even though no chairs was neat to hang over the rail.

Glacier Bay day - get out there early and place a chair next to the rail to save your place. Worked beautifully ..

Archived