Is renting a vehicle wise?

Jackrjc

This will be our first cruise, 03-10 Feb, and our first time to the Cayman Islands. After reading about the escursions offered by the Carnival Legend, we (4 of us) are considering renting a 4 wheel drive vehicle and touring the island on our own. Has anybody had experience with this? Would appreciate any comments.

Thanks

On our last visit to Grand Cayman, we rented a car (there were 4 of us). My husband did the driving, and we had a fairly good map and we drove out to Hell and the turtle farm, and visited some beaches. It was a fun way to spend the day.

Depends on how comfortable you are in different driving situations. I've only driven in Canada and USA but I thought I might be up to trying rural Italy. My last cruise to Grand Caymen we did a mini-bus tour to hell, rum-factory and turtle farm and I said to my husband that I didn't think that I would want to be the one driving. Drive on the opposite side of the road, drive fast on a two-lane road, and really-big traffic circles like in Boston. That plus not knowing the area kind of puts that out of my comfort zone. But you may love that.

We rented a car in Grand Cayman. It was easy and we had a great day! They do drive on the left, so that takes a bit of getting used to. DH drove all over like a trouper though! Once out of the port area, there was no traffic. We drove out to Rum Point...just beautiful!!

The rental co picked us up in a van at the Blue Iguana, across the street from the dock. We went to the airport to rent the car. (5 min drive)

Very easy and fun to be off on your own.

We always rent a car for our week in Grand Cayman. The first time we did this, I was worried a bit about this, but it turned out fine. We always rent a car that has the steering on the left side (like at home) and we've had no issues. Traffic does not move that quickly, plus the drivers are very courteous. If the traffic is stopped, someone will always let you in (they show their appreciation by tooting the horn, and sometimes a short wave with this).

We've explored probably every road on the island. If you see something interesting, pull over and take a look. It's perfectly safe to do this. Just use the same precautions you'd use at home and you'll be fine.

We always rent a car that has the steering on the left side (like at home) and we've had no issues.

A personal preference, but my husband preferred a car with the steering wheel on the right when driving on the left. It kept him mindful of staying on the opposite side of the road.

A personal preference, but my husband preferred a car with the steering wheel on the right when driving on the left. It kept him mindful of staying on the opposite side of the road.

We thought about that, but my hubby felt that he wanted the features on the inside of the car to be where he's most familiar with so he didn't have to take his eyes off the road to look for them. For him (and me, since I also drove), it worked best for us. We had no problem staying on the opposite side of the road, and I personally would have had a hard time trying to remember that everything "inside" the car was also turned around. We just didn't want to add too many "different" things to the list. And each time we're there, we still get that type of a car. It just works best for us.

Well I don't know if I'd use the word 'wise' but it is a managable risk. Two comments:

1. "Keep left and you will always be right" .... be especially conscious at traffic circles, when making left hand turns and in town where pedestrians are not used to traffic being on the left hence they step out in front of you...

2. I wouldn't worry about a 4 wheel drive....not like you are going to be mountain climbing and off the top of my head I can't even think of a place where driving on the beach or off road is permitted. I suppose there is someplace but in my exploration I've never been there....

We rented a car in Grand Cayman. It was easy and we had a great day! They do drive on the left, so that takes a bit of getting used to. DH drove all over like a trouper though! Once out of the port area, there was no traffic. We drove out to Rum Point...just beautiful!!

The rental co picked us up in a van at the Blue Iguana, across the street from the dock. We went to the airport to rent the car. (5 min drive)

Very easy and fun to be off on your own.

What rental company did you use?

Hey,

I just rented a jeep from Avis on Grand Cayman. It came to 103.50 for the all-inclusive package. I think that encludes insurance and some kind of permit. Anyway, it sounds like it will be convenient. We'll probably just head out to Rum Point for the day. If I can find star fish beash or the rum cake factory we may stop there.

avisgcm@candw.ky

Hey,

I just rented a jeep from Avis on Grand Cayman. It came to 103.50 for the all-inclusive package. I think that encludes insurance and some kind of permit. Anyway, it sounds like it will be convenient. We'll probably just head out to Rum Point for the day. If I can find star fish beash or the rum cake factory we may stop there.

avisgcm@candw.ky

Pass on the 4WD - there is nowhere to use it on Grand Cayman. All the roads are paved, and there is no driving on the beach. You can get a regular car for much less. We rented a convertible PT Cruiser from Avis.

Driving is pretty easy, though the left side of the road thing does take some getting used to, particularly in the roundabouts, and in Georgetown there is a lot of traffic, kind of crazy. The rural areas are cake for the most part, though.

Archived