Purchasing cruises online

sailing lady

[font=Comic Sans MS]well I have been a little nervous about using an on-line TA. I will start by telling you about my local area TA's. The first cruise we went on I used a big local agency. We got what we asked for, never had even a follow up call to ask how we liked the cruise. The next cruise I used a smaller local while my daughter used a big automotive related agency for the same cruise. We both paid list price from the cruise web site. I myself found out about a price discount and called it in, it was honored. The agent was very nice, even sent a 25 dollar credit for us. Our daughter who was pending 3 times what we were got nothing. The cruise in October was booked through a local TA...........................................................BUT (here is the fun part) I wanted some quotes for two upcoming trips. Both Celebrity (they are listed in my signature) I got the price quotes from my TA. Now, a couple we met on our last cruise is going on the same Hawaii trip. They have extensive cruise experience, have been on a lot and we were e-mailing back and forth. They told me what agency they booked with, have used them for several cruises' without a hitch. I contacted their agency, got quotes for the two cruises and they were a little over $800.00 less, for exactly the same things. I booked the cabins I wanted, they got back to me via e-mail within hours and had all my paperwork ready for me to print out also within hours of my deposit. The cruiseline had my deposit on file the very same day.[/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS]Now, sorry for being so long winded. All this price stuff is of course changing with the new guidlines of R.C.I but I wouldn't hesitate using an on line agency if you have a good recommendation.[/font]

I used a local agent with a national travel agency for our first cruise. I did all the research, so I just wanted someone to book it. That was all I got. She mailed the cruise documents, so I never spoke with her again. When I called for the next cruise, that office was closed. I chose a different office of that company with a different agent. Between reservation and final payment, I had three different agents assigned to me since they kept turning-over. One called me when my final payment was due and processed my credit card on the phone. Again my documents were mailed and no additional contact was made. My third cruise I just called Princess and probably paid too much. I got an upgrade that time, but probably just a coincidence and not because I paid too much with Princess. After reading these boards, I decided to try one of the on-line agencies. I used one that had been recommended a few months ago, before the strict enforcement of agencies and names. I emailed my request for 4 different Alaska ships/dates and got a response within hours. I did a little more internet searching and decided one was the best price around. The agent had a toll-free number that I called just to feel more comfortable that "someone" existed. It was great to talk to someone who loves to cruise too and does so as often as possible. I booked the cruise with her and I had an email booking number within the hour. She was very familiar with Princess cruises and included my future cruise down-payment in the email info. I checked the Princess sight when I got the email and my reservation was already there. I would do it again.

i have used an on line only ta for the last 4 cruises including the one in march-booked a total of 8 rooms -have never had a problem- quick response and great prices --their name is most commonly mentioned on this board with for the most part very satisfied customers

I have used 3 on-line agencies, one of the largest on-line travel sites, an independent on-line agent associated with a large cruise specific agency and a large, on-line cruise specific site.

I have not had any real issues with any of them, but I probably will not use the large, cruise specific site again because I felt like I was dealing with a black hole.

My preference is the independent agent because we are more than a number to her. She is associated with the large, cruise specific agency, but she notifies us when everything is set and checks to make sure we got our tickets. And she is responsive if I contact her by phone or email. Her rates tend to be $10 - $20 higher, but its worth it.

we have booked 4 cruises with an online ta... 2 with one, 2 with another... never a problem and great prices... all of the cruises have been with different cruise lines also... i have a friend who is a ta with the scott and white health system and she said she couldn't touch a cruise for the online prices... in fact has referred some church friends to me to learn how to do the online booking because she doesn't want her personal friends ripped off... i guess she figures the drs. that she mostly books for in the office can afford her better than her friends... anyway, i highly recommend the online way of doing things!

we have booked 3 cruises online, we live in the uk but book thru online agencies in the us because the price is much better.always had good service used a different agency each time all replied quickly to emails always had booking reference number quickly so we could do our docs online,this year we changed our cabin assignment to a suit when the price was dropped and we even got a refunf of $400

My daughter has used an on-line agency several times and never had a problem. DH and I always use our local cruise only TA.
This time is the first time we're using an on-line agency because they are $200p.p. cheaper than TA's quote! We'll see how it goes. I'm not worried since it's the same agency daughter used for her last 2 cruise.

I have booked several cruises with an online cruise agency - I have never spoken a word to anyone - my deposit has always been accurately charged to my Credit Card - my final payment has always been charged in the proper amount on the correct date - my documents have always arrived in ample time - no problems ever. Most online agencies do provide a 1-800 number if you do have any questions or concerns.

With the new policies that some cruise lines are now taking against mostly the internet agencies, they will no longer be giving away their cruises for a lot less money than the live TA's. So it probably won't matter if you book with an internet or local TA.

But my one strong opinion on this is, if you're taking a cruise to the Caribbean, Alaska, Canada or Mexico, then booking with an internet agency is OK. But, if you're cruising to a more exotic location, it's much better to book with a local agency. Why? When you do a more exotic cruise that calls for more preparation for things such as entry and exit visas, innoculations and the like, I trust a local agency to get all that done for me. I've heard horror stories of people who weren't frequent cruisers that booked exotic cruises only to find out that their internet agent never told them they needed a visa or some sort of vacination.

Archived