IRONS/CANDLES vs. CIGARETTES

macusa19

I was on the Sensation & the Victory and brought a travel iron on both, maybe since it's in one of those little carry cases they didn't know what it was but in any event I did bring it and used it. I also took it with me on other cruise lines and had no problem, I also take along a few bottles of wine & again no problem. The person that wants to take on candles, are they to make the room smell nicer or for romance? I know that nobody asked about hard liquior but we got some tips from people and it worked. When we got off the ship on the islands we bought the tiny little bottles back on board(ya know, the kind you get on flights) only picked the ones with the plastic caps so they weren't detected getting back on ship, these were great for afternoons at the pool in the lemonade or iced teas.

Starspangle-

As the OP, I wasn't looking to bring on candles, I just want justification as to why candles and irons weren't allowed, but lit cigarettes are. I have received several responses, most didn't do any good. Overall, my question was answered, and that's all there is to it. Thanks for your concern however!!:)

It would seem to me that a non-travel blow dryer uses more watts than a travel iron would. Yet they are not banned. Again, I think it comes down to $$$ they can charge you to iron your clothes.

Irons and blowdryers use about the same wattage. Actually, the average blowdryer uses more than the average iron (1,200 watts vs 1,500 watts). The ship supplys them and doesn't ban you from bringing them on board. Blowdryers are likely used a lot more often than irons, so I don't think it is an electrical issue.

I'm guessing it comes down to economics. If there were a large population of cruising ironers out there that they were alienating with their ironing ban, likely the rule would change. Also, consider that Carnival offers a cleaning and pressing service on-board. Revenues, Revenues, Revenues. Its all about money, just like the liquor ban.

Sure not allowing irons makes the ship a tiny bit safer and they can ban it with no loss in revenue. Go for it.

Here is a test. Place a lit candle on a countertop. Knock it off 100 times and see how many times it goes out on the way down. Now knock a cigarette off that same counter 100 times. I'll bet everything I have that the cigarette stays lit more often than the candle.

Now repeat that experiment by throwing a cloth over a candle and over a cigarette. See which one catches on fire more often. I haven't tried these, but I'll bet the lit cigarette is as much a fire hazard as the lit candle.

Irons and blowdryers use about the same wattage. Actually, the average blowdryer uses more than the average iron (1,200 watts vs 1,500 watts). The ship supplys them and doesn't ban you from bringing them on board. Blowdryers are likely used a lot more often than irons, so I don't think it is an electrical issue.

Here is a test. Place a lit candle on a countertop. Knock it off 100 times and see how many times it goes out on the way down. Now knock a cigarette off that same counter 100 times. I'll bet everything I have that the cigarette stays lit more often than the candle.

Now repeat that experiment by throwing a cloth over a candle and over a cigarette. See which one catches on fire more often. I haven't tried these, but I'll bet the lit cigarette is as much a fire hazard as the lit candle.

First, my blow dryer is 1875 watts and I always use it on cruises. And for the record, only the newer & larger ships come equipped with blow dryers....and they aren't great for long, thick hair. So if it WERE an electrical issue, I'd never get to cruise because I absolutely refuse to part with it!

And I'd guess you're right about the candle/cigarette test!

I've said it already...and I'll affirm your saying it: It's about money!

But I do find it interesting that the non-smoking ship was also the least-drinking one. Wonder why? Would a sociologist identify it as an issue of addictive personalities?

Archived