Whole lot of Jelly Fish

KimmieTN

We just got back from Cozumel three days ago. Watch out for Jelly Fish at Chankanaab Park. All three of my kids were stung during the Dolphin Encounter. Also Coco Cay was so full of jelly fish we could not swim. Staff said it was bad because of the hurricanes and it is just the season for them.

We just got back from Cozumel three days ago. Watch out for Jelly Fish at Chankanaab Park. All three of my kids were stung during the Dolphin Encounter. Also Coco Cay was so full of jelly fish we could not swim. Staff said it was bad because of the hurricanes and it is just the season for them.

What a bummer....

If they were at CP, they were probably all up and down the coast line. Cozumel usually does not have a huge problem with this...just when the seas get "stirred".

Sorry for your kids...those sea nettles hurt like the dickens.

sounds like I really do need to wear my shortie wet suit and long sleeve

swim shirt, then they could only sting my legs, OR

can they sting through clothes?:confused:

I am so afraid of Jellyfish, got stung at Galveston in High School and can still remember the feeling!:eek:

The staff at the park sprayed my kids down with vinegar, which only made my daughter howl louder and then put calamine lotion on, which did not help much. I overheard someone at Coco Cay say not to go to the infirmary (as they had when they were stung) because it was so expensive. Anyone who will be in the area soon may want to take something with them.

Found this at the South Carolina Department of Resources. We spend a lot of time on the AL panhandle and have had our share of jelly fish stings. Of course, it depends on what kind it is. I found information that the vinegar prevented further discharge of nematocysts but didn't help with pain. We always used a mix of vinegar and alcohol. Some stings took the kids out of the water for the day, others just slowed them down for a few minutes. Many jellyfish are seasonal and weather related. Hope the weather gods shine on you when you go!

A variety of substances have been used to reduce the effects of jellyfish stings. Meat tenderizer, sugar, vinegar, plant juices and sodium bicarbonate have all been used with varying degrees of success. Methylated spirits and other forms of alcohol formerly recommended for inhibiting stinging cells actually stimulate them and may increase pain and cause severe skin reactions. Picric acid and human urine also cause a discharge of nematocysts and should not be used. Victims of serious stings should make every effort to get out of the water as soon as possible to avoid drowning. If swelling and pain from more serious stings persists, prompt medical attention should be sought. Recovery periods can vary from several minutes to several weeks.

Donna

Last winter I was stung by Sea Lice - I had never heard of it - but did some research when I got home and it stings just like a jelly fish. The life guard got some vinegar from the fish/chip shop on the beach in St Thomas and I soaked my hip in it for about 1 hour till the sting disappeared. Ended up with a nice bruise as this creature sucks on you...to sting you.. was told they mate in November months and probably mistook me for something else.....

Either way it hurt!!! I actually just bought at a dive shop Jelly fish/sea lice swab to put on a sting for my next trip....and its already packed!!

One quick note..most of the beach resorts keep meat tenderizer on hand for such events.

Also, (not meaning to gross anyone out here) but urine stops the pain as well.

Luckily i read on down the posts , when i saw meat tenderiser i thought you meant on of those spiked wooden mallets you bash steaks with lol ..................

I just spent three weeks in Cozumel and didn't see any jellyfish at all and I was diving almost everyday. Maybe it's only when you're participating in activities that you shouldn't, like SWIMMING WITH THE CAPTIVE DOLPHINS!

I just spent three weeks in Cozumel and didn't see any jellyfish at all and I was diving almost everyday. Maybe it's only when you're participating in activities that you shouldn't, like SWIMMING WITH THE CAPTIVE DOLPHINS!

Yikes, could be. Now, I'm also worried about what the fates have in store for that juicy steak I'll be eating in the dining room. Gotta run. Got to release my dog, conure and 2 cats from captivity least I suffer other slings and arrows.

Donna

We just got back from Cozumel and chanakannab last week. We spent about two hours in the ocean right next to the dolphin cages with our snuba guide and we didn't see or get bothered by any jelly fish. Maybe they get trapped in the cages that are used for the dolphin area and that is why there were more in there. Just a thought. :o

Yikes, could be. Now, I'm also worried about what the fates have in store for that juicy steak I'll be eating in the dining room. Gotta run. Got to release my dog, conure and 2 cats from captivity least I suffer other slings and arrows.

Donna

Hilarious :D !!! ROFL

• 1 month later...
As there has not been any mention of jellyfish lately, I'm assuming it's not been a problem. Would appreciate response from any recent travelers.

we were there Thanksgiving week didnt see one jellyfish! :D

We live on the coast of SC and it's definitely a seasonal thing. Every year around the first 2 weeks of August we get lots of jelly fish. Then they go away and don't come back for 12 months!

It's probably the same everywhere. You just have to find out when their season is.

We were there Thanksgiving week too and a few in our group were stung while snorkeling. Never saw them but I had a 4 inch dotted line down my arm.(I got stung the worst). My kids named the jellyfish sea-bees, but still had a great time.

Hi, I was a Nachi Coccom on Monday, Dec. 3, and got stung by something. I didn't see anything, but it felt like jelly fish stings. Later that day, I had red, very itchy welts that looked like poison ivy or a group of mosquito bites. I got some hydrocortisone cream from the gift shop on my ship, which helped a lot. By Friday, everything had cleared up.

Archived