Mexican Riviera Cruise

snoopy124

Just came back - I was on the first cruise out of San Diego on the Dawn.

As far as ships go: I have now been on both and I would recommend the Golden over the Dawn. The Dawn is a very nice ship but I think that the layout of the Golden is nicer, the buffet area is a bit awkward on the Dawn since they block an area off for the Steakhouse in the evening :)

Regarding the Port: San Diego is a nice city to spend a night before the cruise. We enjoyed going out for drinks in the Gas lamp Quarter before our cruise. There are also many nice restaurants. The port is minutes from most hotels downtown.

I would be happy to answer other questions...

We are booked on the Dawn in March. While I would have preferred the Golden because i think it's a nicer ship, we booked the Dawn for two reasons:

1. We love San Diego and are flying in a day early to spend some time there.

2. The Dawn is in port in Cabo longer than the Golden is.

We are booked on the Dawn in March. While I would have preferred the Golden because i think it's a nicer ship, we booked the Dawn for two reasons:

1. We love San Diego and are flying in a day early to spend some time there.

2. The Dawn is in port in Cabo longer than the Golden is.

And a longer day in PV also, till 10 pm.

We picked the Dawn over the Golden because of all the reasons above. ALso, no San Pedro port. We would have preferred the Golden also had she been sailing from San Diego.

Cabo for the whole day is what got us into trouble... Proceed with caution!!! We left the ship & it was HOT!!! We thought "Cabo Wabo" would be a great stop for a morning drink and to get our bearings. Original plan was Medano beach.

I dont remember....

- leaving

- walking to the tender

- the tender

- the whole id cruise card thing

- going to the room

- we missed dinner

But, we woke up at 11:20 pm underway and "La Scala" was awesome!!!! We also had an awesome time while we were there and I am still exchanging emails with folks from our ship and the other two that were in port. You will not find this excursion in the pre-cruise material but it runs about $125. per person :eek:

We booked the Dawn out of San Diego for this Jan, over the Golden. Prefer San Diego as a port, we are looking forward to spending a few days there pre-cruise. But also, we really enjoy the Sun class ships. We sailed the Golden this past Jan. out of NOLA and really enjoyed ourselves. She is a lovely ship. You cannot go wrong on either ship - which port works better for you?

Even though Alabama is not on the East Coast, I thought I would put my two cents worth in. We took the Mexican Riveria Cruise on the Dawn and frankly, I was concerned about the size and age of the ship and read both good and bad reviews. Bottom line - it was one of the best cruises, both ship and itinery, that we have been on. However, I will agree with the other posters about preferring the Golden. I prefer the larger, newer ships. Whichever way you decide to go, you will have a fantastic time.

I have been on both ships, most recently the Dawn 10 day out of SF for Alaska. We always book a mini suite. The mini suites on the Dawn are very equivalent to the full suite on the other classes of ships. Very nice layouts, great bathrooms with separate shower. Balconies are a bit narrower, but covered if you don't want full sun all day long. Going on Golden again in 3 weeks. Also a nice ship. Really enjoyed the ambiance on the Dawn. Happy Sailing!

The first and last days are always cold, so that makes the Golden less attractive as it has more time on sea and less in port. However, The Golden does have that nice indoor pool, which counters that.

In the end, I decided to go on the Dawn this New Years. I was on the Golden last Xmas and it was very nice, almost perfect.

Hi all,

thanks for getting back to me. Wow now i have a lot to think about. I thought all the ships were at the ports for the same amount of time. What causes one ship to stay at a port longer then other ports?

Also what do you recommend to do at each port? What was that La Scala thing?

And now the other view....we booked the Golden because it has balconies that are so much better than the Dawn. There is NO comparison between the balconies and that fact along was why we chose the Golden this December. The balconies on the Dawn are a two foot afterthought where the Golden has the big balconies, like all newer Princess ships, especially if you get on the Caribe deck. We love to just hang and watch the water go by with a glass of wine!

As far as mini suites go, yes the Dawn minis are bigger, almost the size of the Goldens full suites, but they are also priced as such.

First - "La Scala Pizzeria" - Top of the atrium on the dawn. Open 11am - 3pm & 6:00pm till midnight. Sit down only - no carry out. During the dinner hours appetizers and pasta are also available. No Charge...

Now this pizza can also be ordered through room service for a $3.00 charge. Its a small personal pan pizza which is excellent (unless your point of reference is either Chicago or NY in which case you will not be satisfied unless the mom and pop place down the street from you opens a shop on-board). I had the Hawaiian pizza. I'm pretty sure this can be ordered all day\night. Someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Second - "Port Activity" - In Mazatlan, if you would like a relaxing beach day take a look at the ports of call board and find the instructions on how to get to Stone Island. I followed them and we had a great time. Between the walk to the water taxi, the water taxi & the walk to the beach - 30 Min's tops! We went to Victors (a couple 100 yards up the beach). We ordered shrimp [3] different ways. They brought us chips and salsa. 12 - 15 drinks [soda & water] if you remember this was the morning after Cabo and I believe our bill was "US$33.80".

Whale watching in Cabo! And if you have never been, you might want to see the cliff divers in Acapulco. My attitude about that diversion is been there, done that - once was enough.

But whale watching - as many times as possible.

You also might want to check the port of call boards for the Mexican Riviera - plenty of ideas and commentary there.

Cabo for the whole day is what got us into trouble... Proceed with caution!!! We left the ship & it was HOT!!! We thought "Cabo Wabo" would be a great stop for a morning drink and to get our bearings. Original plan was Medano beach.

I dont remember....

- leaving

- walking to the tender

- the tender

- the whole id cruise card thing

- going to the room

- we missed dinner

But, we woke up at 11:20 pm underway and "La Scala" was awesome!!!! We also had an awesome time while we were there and I am still exchanging emails with folks from our ship and the other two that were in port. You will not find this excursion in the pre-cruise material but it runs about $125. per person :eek:

Hee hee hee hee that SO sounds like something I would do... oh wait, maybe I have, not quite sure... :rolleyes:

I'll be there in just a little over 3 weeks! Wahooo! Cabo Wabo can be dangerous, huh? Hmmmmm...

Hi all,

thanks for getting back to me. Wow now i have a lot to think about. I thought all the ships were at the ports for the same amount of time. What causes one ship to stay at a port longer then other ports?

The Dawn can spend more time in port because it has a several hundred mile head start since San Diego is closer than Long Beach.

The Dawn can spend more time in port because it has a several hundred mile head start since San Diego is closer than Long Beach.

It's 106 miles from Long Beach to San Diego - about 5 or 6 hours additional cruise time to/from home port.

I'm not from the the east cost either (at least not anymore - 25 years was enough), but I have no idea why this should matter to the OP. :confused: Sadly, there are some very provincial people living on the east coast. One would think Californians would have the most knowledge about this route, why exclude their opinions? Why exclude opinions of those from the South, Midwest, and West; even those in "fly-over country" may have valuable insights. Why exclude the opinions of those from any part of the world?

We have been on several Mexican Riviera cruises. I prefer the Dawn. I find the service is better on the smaller Princess ships.

I'm not from the the east cost either (at least not anymore - 25 years was enough), but I have no idea why this should matter to the OP. :confused: Sadly, there are some very provincial people living on the east coast. One would think Californians would have the most knowledge about this route, why exclude their opinions? Why exclude opinions of those from the South, Midwest, and West; even those in "fly-over country" may have valuable insights. Why exclude the opinions of those from any part of the world?
While I am not the OP, I was particularly interested in this post. As someone who has been on numerous Caribbean cruises that originate only 2 - 2.5 hours by air from my home, I myself have been curious about the differences of a Mexican Riveria cruise and if it's worth at least double the flight time to get there.

In looking at many posts about the Mexican Riveria, the Golden and the Dawn, I have noticed that the vast majority of posters seem to be from the western third of the US and many from California. I love reading those opinions too, but I am curious to hear from others who have traveled further to do this cruise and what they thought.

We are booked on the Golden for January and we are looking forward to it. We have been to places the Yucatan many times and love visiting Mexico. So, I have no doubt that we are going to enjoy the Mexican Rivivera too (but not as much the flight and jet lag.)

It's clearly a unique area to visit, "it's like another country". All kidding aside it's a must do for the cruise-aholic. It is however a difficult trip from our home. West to east coast flights are generally butt-crack of dawn or Red-Eye. We had to take the red eye back home. I would try my best to get an earlier flight next time.... and there will be a next time!

I may need a few more Caribbean cruises before going west again but I will surely do it again...

Next time in Cabo.... I will go snorkeling at Medano beach :eek:

Archived