A day in Anchorage...need suggestions!

drm31078

We will be on a northbound alaska cruise into Whittier in July 08. In Whittier we plan on doing the PWS tour and then taking the train to Anchorage that night to the hotel. The next day we will be flying out, but not until 10:45pm (red-eye to east coast)...so that leaves me with a full day in Anchorage (with no car). Assuming we want to be at the airport by around 9:00pm, can we get some suggestions how to spend our day in Anchorage? Thanks!

I'd rent a car for the day! Go to the Alaska Native Heritage Center and earthquake park. Drive back south to Beluga Point and the Portage Glacier Visitor Center which is not like any other visitor center I've ever seen! See the Wildlife Conservation Center while you're in that area. :)

A car rental, will offer you the most options, especially if you want some out of Anchorage sightseeing- glacier treking, Hatcher Pass/Independence Mine, Eklutna Spirt House tour, Eagle River Nature Center. Could even spend the day in Talkeetna, stop at the Wasilla sled dog museum. etc etc etc.

If you want to stay in Anchorage, plenty to do there too. Request their visitor guide, should be a walking tour map included. Alaska Heritage Museum is top notch. Biking the Coastal Trail is also a highlight. http://www.anchorage.net

Both the Alaska Native Heritage Center and Alaska Zoo run free shuttles from downtown to their places.

We have a very nice museum. They are currently adding on, but right now I can't remember when the addition will be done (senior moment :eek: )

Susan in Anchorage :)

• 2 months later...
Both the Alaska Native Heritage Center and Alaska Zoo run free shuttles from downtown to their places.

What would be a reasonably priced (nice but not fancy) hotel that would be close to the shuttle to the zoo and Heritage Center? We would need a hotel that provides a free airport shuttle.

What would be a reasonably priced (nice but not fancy) hotel that would be close to the shuttle to the zoo and Heritage Center? We would need a hotel that provides a free airport shuttle.

The shuttle for the zoo and Heritage Center goes from the downtown log cabin. I'd say you might have some luck with the Extended Stay for a reasonable price in downtown but not sure if they have a free hotel shuttle. I know the major hotels, Hilton, Marriot, etc. do not have airport shuttles. Most of the midtown hotels run shuttles from the airport but then you'd have to get downtown.

Reasonable in Anchorage in the summer alot of times is in the $199+ category and that's assuming that all the hotels aren't full and believe it or not it does happen, because I personally know currently of two nights that the Hilton is showing fully booked.

I'd try a sight like www.kayak.com and see what comes up. Where'd you be looking is in the 1 mile or less from the city center.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Depends on what day of the week you are in Anchorage. If it is a weekend (Sat-Sun) there is the 'saturday market' downtown. This hosts local music, and arts and crafts and is free. You can take a city bus to the heritage center. (imho skip the zoo). Also sour dough mining company offers complimentary pickup from downtown to their restaurant and across the street from the restaurant is the Alaska Wild Berry products candy factory. If you are walkers, the coastal trail is nice from downtown too - its paved tar that goes along the waterfront and rr tracks. Have a great time in Anchorage!

Archived