QE2 2007 drydock

Cunard Cruiser

No the QE2 will not be going into drydock. Cunard canceled it and added a cruise in place of it.(see release below) I hoping that because of this, the QE2 doesn't start to look like the original Queen Elizabeth did on her last cruises all rusted and not taken care of. But I'm sure Cunard will want to have it look good with all the publicity is going to get in the final weeks.

Cunard Line Adds New Voyage to QE2's Farewell Season

Valencia, CA - August 20, 2007 - Cunard Line has announced an additional voyage to QE2's 2008 Farewell Season. The company announced in June that the vessel would leave the fleet in November 2008 and begin a new life as a first-class hotel and entertainment destination in Dubai.

The new eight-day Iberia in Bloom voyage will depart Southampton on April 27, 2008 and call in France at La Rochelle (for Cognac) and Le Verdon (for Bordeaux), in Spain at Bilbao and La Coruna (for Santiago de Compostela) and in Lisbon, Portugal. Fares start from $1,315 per person for an inside M6 grade stateroom and range up to $7,795 per person for a Grand Suite.

"The demand for QE2's 2008 voyages has been phenomenal since we announced she was leaving the fleet," said Carol Marlow, president of Cunard Line. "While we still have space on some sailings next year, the introduction of this new voyage means we can give people a further opportunity to experience the most famous ship in the world before she ceases her role as an ocean-going passenger vessel."

QE2 was due to go into dry dock between 18th April 2008 and 5th May 2008. However, with the additional of the new cruise, and the departure of QE2 in November 2008, there is no need for this.

She will still be in dry dock between 27th April and 5th May.

CF

Where will she be between April 18 and April 27? Or is that the actual drydock time frame?

Typical of Carnival trying to get every last drop from the "cash cow." With all her breakdowns and problems over the past couple of years you would think they would think of safety first, but then again it is run by the US greedy business practices.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not recall any above normal breakdowns with QE2 over the past few years. The ship recently experienced a breakdown just before the 40th cruise. Breakdown happen regardless of the age of the ship. Look at all the issues that Celebrity has had with their ships and the pod propulsion. I think Carnival should be praised for the level of upkeep they have done on the ship. Greedy business practices? Safety cannot be conpromised. Maintenance of items can be deferred on certain items, but the ship will not be allowed to operate without certification.

Do I wish QE2 would sail on forever? Sure, but the the line exists to make a profit. I cannot fault the business practices of Carnival.

Hi Highlander

I love the QE2 more than anyone and I am so sad to see her go. Yes Carnival did improve the overall upkeep of the ship when they first took over however, since the debut of QM2, less money and attention has been given.

Besides the breakdown a few weeks ago, there were:

In 2002 there was a serious water intake value leak which caused flooding in the engine room. As mentioned in British shipping report it was serious enough incident.

I believe in May 2003 a corroded steam value burst killing one crew member.

In 2004 an officer told me that there was a small fire in a fan room on the April crossing to meet QM2 in NYC.

In 2005 New Years morning her power went out for a couple of hours

2007, as mentioned in Carol Thatcher’s book a problem with the rudder caused a sudden roll and had to be corrected on the bridge manually.

No doubt QE2 is the greatest ship ever built and no other ship could withstand what she endured at sea for the past 38 years. I just want her last to be filled with great memories and not mechanical problems splashed across the press.

QE2 was due to go into dry dock between 18th April 2008 and 5th May 2008. However, with the additional of the new cruise, and the departure of QE2 in November 2008, there is no need for this.

She will still be in dry dock between 27th April and 5th May.

CF

Are you saying the Iberia In Bloom cruise is now cancelled? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Sea-Sea,

For those interested in anything QE2 related, I have posted links to a few of these incident reports below. I did not know of the rudder incident until your posting. I had read the accident reports on the steam leak that killed a crew member. They were performing some mainenance during a crossing and thought a pipe that had been isolated was okay to work on. The report makes interesting reading.

http://www.maib.gov.uk/cms_resources/qe2-fatality.pdf

Now, for the corroded pipe flange report, this is downright scary. http://www.maib.gov.uk/cms_resources/qe2.pdf

Read this and you will see this incident could potentially have stranded the ship at sea, during some rough weather. This pipe failure was on a piece of work done on the 1987 refit, so it was NOT that old, in terms of QE2, and it had been inspected at the required intervals. Note the ingenuity of the repair performed by the crew who realized the seriousness of the situation.

Having posted these sobering accounts of problems, I would like to share an incident that occured on my lst cruise on the Costa Magica. Shortly before sailing, the ship lost a substantial amount of electrical power, rendering the lifts, sanitation, and propulsion out of commission. I do not know what happened, but I suspect, several of the main engines went down. We ate dinner in port and left substantially late and with several tugs assisting, which is not the norm for the ship. I did not see any activity from the thrusters during our embarkation. This was the same pier I left from on my QE2 trip, which without the stern thrusters had quite a few tugs assisting. Magica is a new ship, built in 2004 so my point is even new ships experience problems.

You are correct though that especially on QE2, due to the age and the wear and tear of the regular crossings, careful attention to maintenance has to continue and they should not be cutting corners here. I saw an ABS or Lloyd's report on the ship and it was riddled with comments on corrosion of supports, and structural members, which shouldn't surprise, but was interesting to read. I'll find that report and post the link too.

KenM

Good Morning Highlander,

Thanks for your post. I would be interested in your post of the

of the ABS or Lloyd's report.

It is just concerning all the issues that have been reported.

Unfortunately, I cannot find it. :( When I saw it several months ago I read with interest the report since it was very detailed, giving information such as "forward bent brace number xxx with excessive corrosion-replace" or "plate number xx holed inexcessively/buckled due to contact with pier/replace". I am not sure which agency issued the report, but it was done during the drydocking of that year. It was all minor things, typical of a ship of that age. I was surprised that this report was available to the public. I searched high and low for it again and cannot locate it. I'll continue to look.

Annette

As you spotted I am a fool! Got my dates wrong, please don't panic.

The 2008 World Cruise ends 18th April and QE2 was originally due to go to dry dock from then until 5th May but instead she will be sailing again on 27th April.

Consider me slapped for being stupid.

CF

Annette

The 2008 World Cruise ends 18th April and QE2 was originally due to go to dry dock from then until 5th May but instead she will be sailing again on 27th April.

CF

I must say that I was curious as well since I had hoped to continue on after arriving in Soton from LA. Would they let me stay on board a bit longer? Do they deliver pizza to the ship whilst in drydock?

I must say that I was curious as well since I had hoped to continue on after arriving in Soton from LA. Would they let me stay on board a bit longer? Do they deliver pizza to the ship whilst in drydock?

Does this mean that the ship is dry, as in no alcohol? :rolleyes: Pizza without beer?:eek: Sacrilege!!!

Paul

Annette

CF

Thank you so much for admitting your error, though I had my doubts it was true, as the voyage is still bookable on the Cunard web site.

NomDePlume, are you saying you will be getting off when I get on, or are there a few days in between... or have I got confused somewhere (most likely).

Thank you so much for admitting your error, though I had my doubts it was true, as the voyage is still bookable on the Cunard web site.

NomDePlume, are you saying you will be getting off when I get on, or are there a few days in between... or have I got confused somewhere (most likely).

Let's see if I can get it straight: I'm getting off QE2 on April 18 and getting back on QM2 on May 4th.

Lunch in Soton on April 18?

Let's see if I can get it straight: I'm getting off QE2 on April 18 and getting back on QM2 on May 4th.

Wow! We're getting back on QM2 on the 22nd. You are staying longer! That's nice. But we can't pull ourselves away from work for that long. Bad enough to be gone for 16 days, (plus one or two before and /or after)

Seems there will be a few of us meeting in Soton! (See Pepper's thread!)

KP

I had to google to see what day of the week that is, it's a Friday so certainly possible, I don't get on until 27th but then I am only about 40 miles from Southampton anyway. Failing that, then what are your plans while in the UK.

Perhaps we should discuss this in email, before it gets moved to the floataway lounge? Unless anyone else on your crossing also wishes to meet up?

I had to google to see what day of the week that is, it's a Friday so certainly possible, I don't get on until 27th but then I am only about 40 miles from Southampton anyway. Failing that, then what are your plans while in the UK.

Perhaps we should discuss this in email, before it gets moved to the floataway lounge? Unless anyone else on your crossing also wishes to meet up?

Will do.

Archived