Looking for tour suggestions for seniors

Lyn2005

Hi, we've been reading all the message boards about Hawaii and what to do while we are there. Many focus on adventurous activities like snorkeling, zip-lines, jeep tours etc. We aren't all that old but old enough that these activities don't really suit our interests and some in our group have physical limitations that prevent participating in these things. We are looking for any ideas from those out there that have been in Hawaii and can suggest things that we shouldn't miss.

Thanks!

on the big island, do a tour of the volcanos...if you can't walk out to them, they have viewing areas and, well, the whole area is interesting.

just the drive out there, gives you a great tour of the island.

on the main island, i love just hanging out around the hotels/beach and restaurants of the tourist area. just watching the surfers, swimmers, sand castles, sunsets...i don't care if it is a tourist area, Waikiki Beach is great.

having dinner at duke's...next to the railing, overlooking the beach, as the light the tiki torches at sunset...just breath taking (plus the food and service is great) http://www.dukeswaikiki.com/

for pearl harbor, go early...it's 1st come, 1st serve for the tickets...but well worth it. last time i went, i just did a tour where our tour ship just went by, we didn't go on the memorial.

take a trip out to the polynesian cultural centeron the other side of the island, you can do that at your own pace.

http://www.polynesia.com/?OVRAW=polynesian%20cultural%20center&OVKEY=polynesian%20cultural%20center&OVMTC=standard&OVADID=674006521&OVKWID=3246470021

on maui, shopping around lahaina reminds me of the old surfing culture on southern california. little stores, t-shirts hanging outside...the art sale under the bayan tree can be very intersting. if your knees can handle a long drive, take the tour of hana. i haven't gone around that area, yet..but it's a major viewing trip.

we stayed around popui beach (on kauai)...love the golf courses...but it's a great island for just driving around. easy to rent your own cars and do. only 1 highway to worry about. Waimea Canyon is beautiful, a small grand canyon...the drive north to princeville is very easy...it's the area where many movies have been made...

yes, there is plenty of do and see...but even the snorkeling can be done easily.

http://www.gohawaii.com/

if there is only 2 or 4 of you, i would look into renting a car at some of the ports and really just do things on your own. picnics on the beach, trying the local restaurants...if you during the months of december to march...just parking on a highway look-out, over the water, whale watcing..especially around maui.

k...can you tell i get excited when i remember paradise?

Thank you, Cathi, this information is great! I'll save it into my files that I have been accumulating. We have wanted to go to Hawaii since before we were married and we've been married 38 years. We've been to many other places in that time but haven't go to Hawaii yet. Won't be long now!

I forgot to mention that our trip includes 3 night pre-cruise in an ocean front hotel at Waikiki so we will probably do Pearl Harbor then as well as maybe a luau because I hear the one the ship offers isn't that great.

plus you will have more time and not have to hurry. i wouldn't do a tour to pearl harbor, just take the bus, taxi or rent a car and you on your own. since i was there, the other ship (nearby) is open and much more to see.

I am in my 50's and my wife had had two knee surgeries the year before our last cruise in Hawaii. One tour that you can't miss is an Air Tour on Kauai. I am not sure how other companies work but we flew with Air Ventures Hawaii. They made it easy for my wife to get in and out of the plane and were very pleasant and helpful.

The tour was spectacular, Kauai is an amazing island and when you get up in the air and see the entire island in one hour you feel like all the other tours out there would not compare to what you have just experienced. Not to mention you can bring home some one of a kind photos for your family and friends!

Enjoy Hawaii,

Rob

I am in my 50's and my wife had had two knee surgeries the year before our last cruise in Hawaii. One tour that you can't miss is an Air Tour on Kauai. I am not sure how other companies work but we flew with Air Ventures Hawaii. They made it easy for my wife to get in and out of the plane and were very pleasant and helpful.

The tour was spectacular, Kauai is an amazing island and when you get up in the air and see the entire island in one hour you feel like all the other tours out there would not compare to what you have just experienced. Not to mention you can bring home some one of a kind photos for your family and friends!

Enjoy Hawaii,

Rob

Thanks! I've been reading a lot of postings lately about how beautiful Kauai is. I'm not a very good flyer, just getting there and back is going to be dicey but we'll see.

Archived