Is snorkeling alone safe?

Finflapper

I'm sure there will be occasion when I will want to go snorkeling and my husband will not feel like it. My concern is if I am out snorkeling by myself and I come across an aggressive fish, how will I be able to defend myself? Is snorkeling by yourself a wise thing to do or am I just being overly cautious? I must mention this will be my 2nd. time snorkeling. The first time was with a group on an excursion with experience.

Regina

The likelyhood of coming across an aggressive fish is slim to none, so you shouldn't worry about it. The dangers of snorkeling alone are the same as the dangers of swimming alone. You could easily develop a cramp or lose track of where you are and find yourself too far from shore. In the water, the buddy system is extremely important for safety.

Don't think you'll have to worry about any aggressive fish. They are usually more afraid of you.

I've snorkeled alone before and all you have to do is have common sense. And its never really been 'alone'. Yes, I am snorkeling by myself, but there is always someone around, either if its been on an excursion with other people or my hubby's laying up on the beach. Stay in an area where you feel comfortable, and always remember to look up and around every few minutes to keep track of your whereabouts. Sometimes you get involved watching something below you and you don't realize how much the current can move you around, and find yourself in deeper water, literally:) .

If you have to stand up, make sure its on a sandy area. If you are snorkeling over a reef, you can kill the coral by standing on it, not to mention maybe brushing up against fire coral.

Since its only your second time, make sure you are comfortable with your gear...but its mostly common sense. Enjoy.

Regina,

I think there may be times when snorkeling alone is actually safer than with a group. I got back Sunday from a cruise on the Tahitian Princess. On several of the snorkeling excursions, people got "reef rashes" from bumping against coral. In almost every instance, those who got coral cuts were swimming with a spouse, child or friend. They ran into to the coral when they tried to turn around to check on the status of the other person. Had they been alone, a strong argument can be made that they would not have collided with the coral. The real moral to the story is just pay attention and be careful whether you are alone or with a group.

Dennis

My husband and I love to snorkel. On our last cruise we were in the Caymans and had the kiddos with us. We did the Sting Ray tour then headed to Cemetary Beach to snorkel & hang out. The kids wanted to hang out on the beach so me and my husband swapped off for snorkelling.

I was snorkelling along, having the time of my life ... then I looked up, saw how far I was from shore & literally panicked. I am a very strong swimmer so I didn't expect this to happen. I snorkel all the time w my husband and never had this happen.

I did the back stroke back to land, but I vowed I would never snorkel alone again w/o a vest. If you are staying close to shore, this isn't a problem. However, some of the reefs are pretty far from shore.

Another thing, a storm snuck up on us, too, as I was out there. So, the current and the waves were picking up, the black clouds were moving in :eek: ... I thought for sure I was gonna die. Needless to say, I didn't but I will never put myself in that position again.

• 2 weeks later...

As it's your second time snorkeling, you shouldn't go out alone. You should not only have a buddy, but make sure there are other snorkelers around. You can panic easily when you aren't experienced enough to clear mask and snorkel if water gets in, and it could happen if sea is just a little bit choppy. You don't know what you can and can't do with your fins either.

I'm a very experienced snorkeler, but I will go out alone only if I know the area well and I know the current, tide, etc. But I know by now what's safe and what's not.

If you get attacked by an aggressive fish, consider yourself lucky, because it never happens. You'll be in news. If you are thinking of sharks stay in the deep, and most who venture out to shallow are harmless anyway. I saw a few sea snakes in Indonesia, but I've never heard of one in Carribean. I was told sea snakes are lethal, but they don't attack except in self-defense. Just use common sense and you'll be fine.

• 4 weeks later...
As it's your second time snorkeling, you shouldn't go out alone. You should not only have a buddy, but make sure there are other snorkelers around. You can panic easily when you aren't experienced enough to clear mask and snorkel if water gets in, and it could happen if sea is just a little bit choppy. You don't know what you can and can't do with your fins either.

I'm a very experienced snorkeler, but I will go out alone only if I know the area well and I know the current, tide, etc. But I know by now what's safe and what's not.

i concur. either that or stay very close by... while you may be comfortable, you're still a newbie - and the worst thing in the world is getting into trouble (usually because of panic) and having no one there to turn to.

as usual good advise here:

as to the snorkeling vest: get one with a CO2 capacity, please!

and consider having a "float".

Then there is "Rule 22" if you are snorkeling and there is nobody around

in the Caribbean probably means you have a nice deserted island,

somethimes if there are no divers there may be a reason? :eek:

Ask about currents and tides! Yes!

Joe

• 3 weeks later...

I know that it has been a long time since the tread started but...

I snorkel for more then 30 years now and I also scubadive and will never would go by myself.

There are too many things that can go wrong and is just not worthed.

Please don't...

Maria

I once snorkeled alone. A rogue clownfish started viciously attacking me. Never Never Again! Could not get it far enough away to spear it with my gun and just slashed at it. I still have the 2 cm scar to prove it.

Seriously though, I have seen a man (young) die while snorkeling (think it was a cardiac event, but it definitely was not an aggressive fish) and was not noticed floating until too late. Buddy system is best policy, even for snorkeling.

Archived