I got to meet Mike Rowe and asked about LOS

flagger

mikesigning.jpg

When I was 19 years old, I did an internship for "Late Night with David Letterman". It was 1988 and the writers went on strike just after I got there in January. So I came back home after working just for college credit after three months. NYC was not a place to be living and not doing any work.

I will say I met my share of A-listers on down. I worked in Radio before and after I came back and met even more.

Mike Rowe was one of the most genuine "celebrities" I have ever met. This was the first "appearance" he has ever done like this and was scheduled to be there from 4-7. We did not leave until right at 8pm (the line was long) and people have reported that the line finally stopped around 10:30. He stayed for the entire time taking only one break that I saw. He signed whatever you wanted plus pictures he had brought. Each person got about 5-7 minutes with him and he posed for pictures with everyone. Seriously he was very very nice.

For those interested, I did ask some questions.

Q: The most ridiculous product he ever sold on QVC?

A: The Katsak (youtube it)

Q: Are you seeing brother this time? (He lives in SC)

A: No, he didn't even call him

Q: When is he heading back to AK for more Deadliest Catch?

A: January

Q: What would he like special for job 200?

A: (jokingly) To retire

Q: Why no dirty jobs on the LOS?

A: They would not let them

Q: What question has he not been asked that he would love to answer?

A: Could not think of one as he literally has been asked every question possible

Q: Is filming problematic because of the popularity of the show?

A: (Gesturing to the gathered crowd) He said look at this, and yes it is a problem with crowd control. Before they were under the radar and now it can interfere with the work.

It was the time of my life doing the internship and I am glad I got the experience, but I realised unions and NYC were not for me.

I just wanted to share the other thing about Dirty Jobs because so many complained about them not seeing much of the ship. I know they wanted to do "Dirty Jobs", but were unable to. If I remember correctly, you can almost see the officer's eyes rolling when yet another TV show films on the bridge. It really showed up in the second Samantha Brown on a cruiseship show.

Mike though was really the nicest guy in person. He was scheduled to be there from 4-7 and I read on another board that he did not leave until after 12:30 in the morning. He wanted to make sure everyone was seen.

Mike though was really the nicest guy in person. He was scheduled to be there from 4-7 and I read on another board that he did not leave until after 12:30 in the morning. He wanted to make sure everyone was seen.

I guy I golf with is a pilot for rental jets. He has had tons of celebrities, and relates Mike was the most down to earth easy going guy of all. I hope they got some relaxation times on the ship.

Ok, I'll be the dumb one and ask "Who is Mike Rowe?"

Seriously??? I thought everyone knew who he was by now.

He does loads of stuff.

He does Deadliest Catch on the Discover Channel. He does Dirty Jobs on same channel.

He does loads of commercials for Ford and also for a pharmacy chain that I can't think of the name but it says ---- "and we're right around the corner". Good neighbor maybe? My mind is drawing a blank. I am sure there is probably more that I am just not thinking of. Seems like he is everywhere.

He does all kinds of stuff. Seems like a very nice guy. I would love to meet him.

Thanks flagger for your post and that pic. Great pic!

Archived