Tips on packing for a winter cruise in the Med?

funkylady

Hi, I am getting a bit worried about how to pack for our winter cruise around the Eastern Med. this January. There will be four of us (kids will be 12 and 14). I am even not sure about the temperature around the ship-will we need to wear jumpers all the time? Will pools be warm enough to have a dip in? (We therefore would need to take our costumes too).

Also, i wonder if anyone can help us on this-do they have toga parties on this cruise? (we are travelling on the Cost Concordia). If so, do we need to take accessories, pins etc?!

I would really appreciate any tips you may have to help me out.:)

Kath

I just looked at your cruise. It shows temps to be between 50 and 60. I would layer so that if it should get warmer, you can take something off. If it gets colder, you can always buy a sweatshirt to go under the last layer. It shouldn't be cold on the ship. I wore a sweater if I felt cold, but the ship is usually kept at a comfortable temp.

Also, I would check the date of sailing. If you go the 6th, you will miss the ship. I went to several sites and they say sail away is the 5th.

As for Toga party, we had one, but we were in the Caribbean. Not sure if they do them in the Med. It was a lot of fun. I knew ahead of time and made us togas. Mine was deep purple trimmed in white, and DH was white trimmed in purple.

It will be far too cold for swimming unless they have an indoor heated pool. You can expect temps to be 8C to 12C at that time of year. You need to pack layers including a warmer jacket/coat if you have any ports where you'll be off the ship at night. If you like to walk the deck in the evening, you'll need something warm as the winds on deck will be downright chilly/cold.

Thanks for the tips! When i originally asked my TA what temperatures we would experience in Cairo,Egypt and Cyprus for that time of year he stated the 20's! I booked thinking we would at least have a few days of good temperatures but have since found out it will be more like 14 -16 degrees! Oh well, i suppose you can never tell with our wacky weather lately (i'm from England-we've had really bad storms and flooding this summer) perhaps we'll strike lucky in January?! ( i live in hope).

I've double checked our departure details and they definitely say the 6th departing from Savona. I think this ship departs from Civitavecchia on the 5th and then goes to Savona on the 6th.

I'll check again about the toga party-maybe it is for the warmer cruises? I think i would want to make sure it doesn't look like i've nicked the bed sheets and just flung them over me!!:o

Kath

Archived