photobugs: canon fall promotion: lenses and speedlite

qiangf2

I have been waiting for this one forever.. It finally came out. It is not double or triple rebate. Instead, it offers instant rebate. The 100-400 F4.5-5.6 has $100 rebate. Not as hot as triple rebate they used to run a couple of years ago. Still, it is hassle free and good deal.

See bhphoto link: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/FrameWork/Rebates_Promos/011308_CANON_INSTANT.pdf

Enjoy.

There's a lot of disappointment on the photo boards that no bodies were included and of the limit number of lenses listed. It's great, though, for those people who had one of the included lenses on their wish list.

In the past there's been a great deal of dissatisfaction with the company handling the rebate processing, so this is a step in the right direction as long as retailers don't bump their prices to make a little extra profit.

You'll enjoy the 100-400L. It's a great lens for Alaska.

I still remember the good old days when a $300 rebate check came in for my 20D body. It is surprising to see Canon stopped rebate on dSLR body. Now I am debating between 70-200F/2.8L IS vs their prime 85mm F/1.2L. Both of them have $125 rebate. My friend told me the latter one has much better brokeh performance. But at $1800 even with rebate, it is a tough decision to make.:(

From what I've read about the 85L, it's a great lens provided you need that much light gathering ability. As you point out it's supposed to have a very pleasing bokeh. The big problem with the lens, again from what I've read, is shooting wide open the lens has such a shallow depth of field that it takes some time to learn how to use the lens properly and get satisfactory results.

In that focal length, the 85 f/1.8 lens sounds more practical for most people and is definitely more affordable.

I am planning to use it for portrait only. So shallow DOF is actually what I am looking for. But, I know it will be steep learning curve. Most reviews have claimed that the real usable stop is F/2 and above. So your suggestion of 85mm F/1.8 sounds like more realistic for me. Thank you so much.

BTW, i heard Canon is doing double rebate in Canada. eeerhh...

• 5 weeks later...
From what I've read about the 85L, it's a great lens provided you need that much light gathering ability. As you point out it's supposed to have a very pleasing bokeh. The big problem with the lens, again from what I've read, is shooting wide open the lens has such a shallow depth of field that it takes some time to learn how to use the lens properly and get satisfactory results.

In that focal length, the 85 f/1.8 lens sounds more practical for most people and is definitely more affordable.

After much debate, I finally decide to get the 85mm F/1.8. F/1.2L is nice, but hard to justify the 5x cost difference. Ordered it from Abe of Maine for $302 shipped with the blessing from DW. OldCodger, thanks for pointing me to this model. I will post some sample shots once I got it.

After much debate, I finally decide to get the 85mm F/1.8. F/1.2L is nice, but hard to justify the 5x cost difference. Ordered it from Abe of Maine for $302 shipped with the blessing from DW. OldCodger, thanks for pointing me to this model. I will post some sample shots once I got it.

Forgot to mention, Abe of Maine has a $10 off $25 coupon "LOYALTY10"

Archived