Phamacy Question

tdhjaw

I have heard about buying low cost prescriptions in Belize. My elderly father - who is not going on our cruise - has very expensive meds but no health insurance. Can anyone supply info about the pharmacy - that is somewhere near the cruise port - that some people talk about? It is run by someone who used to work at Walmart in LA.

Hi

the pharmacy is at the port

I got these numbers when we were there in 2005

phone 0115012224242

e-mail medimeds@btl.net

I purchased antibiotics but they had many many drugs that are prescription here in the US available over the counter.

the woman behind the counter gave me the above information

I would try the e-mail address

good luck

pat

I have heard about buying low cost prescriptions in Belize. My elderly father - who is not going on our cruise - has very expensive meds but no health insurance. Can anyone supply info about the pharmacy - that is somewhere near the cruise port - that some people talk about? It is run by someone who used to work at Walmart in LA.

You might also check the Canadian pharmacies. I take a pill that is $5.00 each in the US and can get a generic there for a fraction of the cost.

PH8 - One of my co-workers goes to Belize every year to pick up her meds. She used to have them shipped to her, but sometimes they get pulled by the post office. She says they are exactly the same as she gets here. She seems pretty confident with them. I do know that she takes her prescriptions with her...I don't know if you can buy the drugs without a prescription as she always takes hers with her.

How do you get them through Customs?? I take a lot of Tylenol 3's for my bad headaches, I also take Plavic's for my heart and I could get them there off the counter, but Customs worry me. Or do they even care about those Drugs? My Doctor told me to get them there because you can buy them over the counter and their so much less money then they are here without insurance.

Thanks, Rick (RJB7777777)

I haven't tried to purchase Plavix there, but I do get it from Canada by faxing my prescription there. The reason it is so much less there is that they can sell the generic which isn't available in the US yet because of patents. The cost is 1/3 rd of what it is here.

That's what my Doctor said to. He said even the Generic form of Tylenol 3's is a lot cheaper there to. I live in Michigan by Flint, which is around 60 Miles from Canada. I've never tried to go over there and see if I could get it there always worried about the Customs thing. Have you ever had any problems brining Meds back over?? Also is it legal to do that?? My Doctor said the Generic forms of both are just as good as they are in the States, but....... like you said the Plavic they don't have here yet.

This was not on an official site, but I found this by googling:

http://www.rversonline.org/ArtMexDrugs.html

RETURNING TO THE USA

Because of intense lobbying by the AARP, US Customs officials are very lenient about allowing even large quantities of medicines to accompany you through customs. The medicine must be for your own personal consumption, and you absolutely must declare all medicines when asked to do so. Only drug smugglers have anything to worry about. Senior citizens who pass through the border with enough medicine to last six months is a common occurance. The phrase "And I have a quantity of prescription medicines for my own use", is usually sufficient to allow quick passage

Just to let you know that the pharmacy is "inside the fence"...so you won't even have to leave the port area.

They post the prices on large signs in the window. All very open and above board.

Now of course it is not "legal" to bring them back into the States...but I have never heard of anyone having a problem.

One thing to double check is the expiration date. That is the only "complaint" I have heard is that someone forgot to check it and when they got home...the meds were expired.

Thank you Cusyl and LHP for the info and thanks Cusyl for the Web Address I'm going to run a copy of that and bring it with me just in case. I do belong to AARP but not old enough to be a Senior yet. But with the price of my Meds here this will really help to get a 6 Month supply to have on hand.

Thanks again to both of you, Rick (RJB7777777)

Does anyone know which is *cheaper*

Belize or Cozumel?

Belize will be FAR cheaper. When we were in Belize in Oct 2006...a ZPAC was $15.00 in Belize....it was $50.00 in Cozumel.

Being an island, apparently (from what I have been told by locals) it cost a lot to have stuff "shipped" to Cozumel.

That's what my Doctor said to. He said even the Generic form of Tylenol 3's is a lot cheaper there to. I live in Michigan by Flint, which is around 60 Miles from Canada. I've never tried to go over there and see if I could get it there always worried about the Customs thing. Have you ever had any problems brining Meds back over?? Also is it legal to do that?? My Doctor said the Generic forms of both are just as good as they are in the States, but....... like you said the Plavic they don't have here yet.

I freely admit to knowing nothing about this but isn't Tylenol 3, Tylenol with Codeine? And is that under different rules because codeine is a contolled substance?

I freely admit to knowing nothing about this but isn't Tylenol 3, Tylenol with Codeine? And is that under different rules because codeine is a contolled substance?

In2Why in Canada the 3's are called I think 222 and you can buy them over the counter. I don't know what they're called in Mexico. But I plan on my Doctor writing me all my prescriptions before we leave. I had a Brain Anysurm in '88 and was in a coma for 21 days they gave my wife a 3 to 5 percent chance that I'd ever come out of surgery alive and when I did they said if I came out of the coma I may never remember her or the Kids again. In my wildest dreams I never thought I'd retire at 39. Since then I have to use a cane and they said I'd never be able to work again I've had 3 strokes and 2 Heart attacks and lots of TIA's. My short term memorery I have a hard time with. But if you ask about something that happened before that Day I can tell you, but 10 minutes ago forget it. The 3's are the only thing that helps my bad headaches. In fact in our February Cruise to Cozumel I had a TIA that day and couldn't go with my wife there, so I missed that. Without very much insurance to speak of and most of my Meds are between 50 and 80 Dollars a month I hope I can save money on some of these in January.

Rick

Has anyone ever bought Allegra, or the generic form of Allegra? We're currently paying $100 a month for my prescription and my son's, and I'd love to stock up on it if we can save some money.

I googled Allegra from a Canadian pharmacy and it was $28.00 for 30 tablets, just so you can compare.

Does anyone have any experience buying Imitrex here? I would like to have an idea what the price would be. I do not have prescription coverage and I pay about $21 a pill. I am a little leary about how safe this is, and would love to hear from someone who has gotten Imitrex.

Does anyone have any experience buying Imitrex here? I would like to have an idea what the price would be. I do not have prescription coverage and I pay about $21 a pill. I am a little leary about how safe this is, and would love to hear from someone who has gotten Imitrex.
$19.41 in Canada, so probably not too much savings in Mexico.

Archived