Beach Umbrella

fireman's flame

Although we love the beach, any beach, several of us in my family are *blessed* with sun-sensitive skin (ie. we fry like Grannie's chicken).

I wanted to rent a cabana at Half Moon Cay, but we have a few hours drive to the port that morning and I'm not counting on being there in time to be able to get one. And I don't know if there's any shade at Grand Turk.

So I thought we'd bring along our beach umbrellas and set them up to help with sun shading.

I don't think I'll have a problem with checking them with the luggage boarding the ship - I've seen people check crutches and baby strollers - but I wonder if I'll trouble with them getting them to the Islands, like on the tenders. I don't think I would, they aren't huge.

Has anyone brought or seen anyone else bring anything like beach umbrellas or maybe those canvas cabana things?

Although we love the beach' date=' any beach, several of us in my family are *blessed* with sun-sensitive skin (ie. we fry like Grannie's chicken).

I wanted to rent a cabana at Half Moon Cay, but we have a few hours drive to the port that morning and I'm not counting on being there in time to be able to get one. And I don't know if there's any shade at Grand Turk.

So I thought we'd bring along our beach umbrellas and set them up to help with sun shading.

I don't think I'll have a problem with checking them with the luggage boarding the ship - I've seen people check crutches and baby strollers - but I wonder if I'll trouble with them getting them to the Islands, like on the tenders. I don't think I would, they aren't huge.

Has anyone brought or seen anyone else bring anything like beach umbrellas or maybe those canvas cabana things?[/quote']

First you don't drive to HMC, its a private island and when you get off the tender you are right there. In any event you reserve your cabana online before you leave or once you are on board. There is some shade at Grand Turk

You probably can take along your beach umbrella but that might be a hassle. Given how cheap some are we havec vpurchased them at a first port and then left them behind when we have disembarked.

You can rent a clam shell for $14 which comes with two lounge chairs. You can do this now or take a chance when you get on your ship by going to the shore excursions desk to see if they have any left. Well worth it in case of rain or as you said...fair skin.

Missygirl

eh2zed, I know you don't drive to HMC...I meant drive to Miami to get on the ship. I don't know about other lines, but Carnival won't let us pre-book the cabanas, you have to do it onboard. You have to be the first in line at the Excursions desk when it opens, at 12:30. I don't think we'll be there yet by then.

Besides, there will be 10 of us and I realized the cost is going to be too great for us anyway.

I did consider the clam shells, Missygirl, but heard they are stuffy and hot inside because breezes can't blow through. Don't know if that's true, just what I heard.

They don't let us pre-book those, either.

Hey fireman--are we neighbors? I see you are in Northwest Georgia, as am I, in Dalton.

Sorry I can't be of much help to you since I have not sailed on Carnival, but I HAVE taken a beach umbrella to Royal Caribbean's private island once. I am actually allergic to the sun (not severely, but enough that an umbrella and SPF50 is required).

Since you are driving, stop at a Publix grocery store anywhere near the beach in Florida. They should have a nice selection of beach stuff near the entrance. They carry beach umbrellas that are 6 feet tall when up, but fold down to about 2 feet, and only weigh a few pounds. They come in a plastic case that has a shoulder strap on it. These are super convenient for the islands. They are also cheap, shouldn't be more that $10 or so. I keep mine in the back of my SUV all year long, never know when we might need it!

Have a great cruise.

Hey KittyMom. We are south of Rome, in Polk County. But have been to/through Dalton a few times recently.

I think Carnival and RC are pretty much alike, so if you took one along, then I don't think there will be a problem with me bringing one/some.

Me and two of my sons are redheads, is why we're sun-sensitive. My sister isn't but is allergic to the sun, she breaks out in terrible little blisters on her nose and face, even when she doesn't get sunburned.

We love the beach and go as much as we can - and my sister lives in Florida - so we already some umbrellas like you described; they break down into two pieces and fit into a plastic case with a strap. They are really light to carry. I forget what I paid for the first one, but I found the other one for $5.00 at some little $ store near my parents place in Hudson Florida.

Keeping one in the car is a good idea, I should think to keep one of mine in there. There's been a few times we've eneded up picnicing in the back of the car we could have used it.

Archived