Savona, Palermo, Tunis, Mallorca Info Please

Hello all,

we are considering a cruise that includes the following ports: Savona, Italy; palmero, sicily; Tunis, Tunisia, Mallorca, Spain (overnight). I have not found much on these ports for these towns as yet on the boards. Wondering about what there is to see? Can we do A walking tour of sorts or should we look for touring outside these port area? Do we dock close to the towns?

Also in Naples, Italy a short time- only 1-7 PM. Suggestions for this short time frame.

This is our first cruise to these ports.

Thanks so much for sharing all your wisdom. It is very helpful for us newbys to these areas.

:)

Hi, we have just returned from the Voyager Med cruise and it included a couple of your ports. In Naples you could easily do a 3 1/2 or 4 hour tour to Pompeii or Herculaneum . In Palermo I could not really find much I wanted to see, so we just went for a walk into town and back to the cruise ship again. At both of these ports the ship docks in a built up area so you could walk into town. However, traffic is chaotic - be careful crossing roads and we were repeatedly warned to watch for pick-pockets though thankfully we did not experience any problems with this.:)

If you are stopping in Mallorca, I would assume the port would be Palma, which is on the southwest of the island. Our excursion took us to a pearl factory in Manacor, towards the east. Mallorca is famous for its pearls, and there are shops where you can purchase them across from the factory. Then we continued to the east coast of the island and visited the Caves of Drach, which contains one of the world's largest subterranean lakes. There is a show that they put on where all the lights go out and you hear soft music (piano and violin), and all of a sudden a boat appears floating along the lake. Kind of eerie, but very memorable. We really enjoyed it.

There is also a beautiful cathedral with fabulous stained glass windows. It is built in gothic style. We didn't get a chance to visit it, though, but since you are in port overnight it might be something to consider.

Archived