Book 12+ mo in adv & itinerary changes??

cpayne

We have always booked our cruises 3 -6 months in advance. We are considering booking a cruise now for Nov 2005. We'll be traveling with another couple and with trying to coordinate schedules we need to book that far out.

Here is my question:

We are making our own flight arrangements. What happens if between now and 11/2005 (14 months) they change the ship and/or itinerary on us? For example, what if the cruise line contacts us and says this week is no longer available because the ship has been chartered out? Without travel insurance are we out of luck? Is there any obligation on the behalf of the cruise line?

I think the answer is we are on our own and that many of you will endorse the need for travel insurance. However, looking for a confirmation. Has this happened to any of you?

My itin has changed but that is all. Yes, I buy insurance. I don't book flight until three months out and hotel then too. Usually if the ship is going to be chartered, they know two-three months out. If you read the contract it states that port, times ect can change without notice. That let's them off the hook but generally they will give a bit of a credit if the ship can not make it at all. After final payment, there is usually more room for you to get things, ie airplance ticket refunds etc. If you are booking this far out I would buy insurance. Iam booked for Feb 05 and Jan 06. I have insurance for both.

Well, first of all, you can't book your flights until at least eleven months out. Yep - you're pretty much out of luck, and trip insurance will probably not cover you if there's a ship or itinerary change. You contracted with the cruise line to take a cruise during that time period. It doesn't matter if they change the ship or the itinerary...read the fine print in the brochure. And, no...the cruise line does not owe you any compensation as long as they provide you with a cruise.

It really depends when the change is announced. If it is several months in advance, don't expect much more than a, "Sorry." On short notice, i.e. within a few weeks, it is a big deal and you will probably be taken care of. Odds are that you have little to worry about. If you book your flights early, there is a far greater probability that they will be changed before you cruise.

Archived