first light of Vista

qiangf2

Got my Vista 8x42 this afternoon. After tweaking it for a while, I like what I have seen so far. I know photodoodle has an excellent review on it, I'd like to chime in with couple of my own observations. Build quality is solid. I especially like its new logo and embedded acrylic cover, an improvement over the SUMMIT I had. Since it is 8x42, I cannot do a fair apple to apple comparison with my 10x Nikon Monarch or Zen-Ray SUMMIT. I did observe slight pin cushion distortion at the outer edge of the FOV, as expected. Overall sharpness is quite impressive, even to 90% of the outer edge. It seems to be slightly less sharp than my 10x dual. I doubt one will hardly notice it in the field unless using a resolution chart. The field of view is bright even in door, not distinguishable from my Monarch or SUMMIT. But again, it is 8x mag power. I would expect the brightness might be slightly less if I were to compare to 8x Monarch or SUMMIT. Well, it is just my quick report after spending mere 15min with it.

This one should fall into the category of sub $150 binoculars, like Bushnell Trophy ($130) or EO Denali ($160), or Konus Audax ($130). I am really curious how they will stack up against each other. After calling several friends, I think I can get Trophy and Denali to compare. The Audax is really hard to find except I tried one during a birding fair last year. stay tuned.

Archived