Just Cant Stand It!

gmschick2011

....over on the RCI boards there is always talk about the "type of people" that take Carnival cruises.

However, we can have a nice, friendly discussion about both cruise lines without totally trash talking the competitor.

I just find it ironic....

I think you will enjoy HAL Sandi. It's a shame they are not replacing the noordam out of ny. You should try HAL. Princess too.

We like nearly all the lines. For us, it comes down to what port we want to sail out of, where we want to go and if the kids are going with us.

We are even thinking of trying ncl again. And we never thought we would, but it's so nice to be able to sail from ny that we just might book on one of their ships.

I was looking into HAL for my last cruise because that Noordam looks so beautiful but they didn't sail from NY when I wanted to go. At that time, they only sailed between the end of Oct. I would like to try all of the lines one day.

The Walmart phrase came from a popular cruise book, written by a very famous travel editor, Frommers. I think what they were trying to get across was that Carnival offered something for everyone when it comes to cruising, much the same as Wally's World does when it comes to the community. But people have taken it out of context, like they seem to do many other things in the world of print.

This is sooo true. My Walmart is a horrible place to go and I avoid it at all costs. A Carnival Cruise can't possibly compare to shopping at Walmart. Not my Wal-mart anyway! Frommers could have at least said the "Target" of cruising or something. I do agree, Carnival does offer something for everyone and that is great. But they do that with pretty high standards. I've been on RCI and Celebrity and am so excited to be going back on a Carnival Ship, SOON! :cool:

I've sailed both, and will continue to sail both, but most of my time spent on CC is here on the Carnival board. My next cruise is on RCI, next month, but I still spend more time here.

I'd rather stick a fork in my eye than shop at Walmart, and I love Carnival.

Well, I love Walmart! Why would I pay more for items (the basics - paper products, dog food (Iams, not generic crap), cleaning products, etc) at the grocery store or even at Target?

Same with my cruises. I want good food, good service, nice bedding, and a clean ship that sales to the ports I want to see. Why should I pay more for those things on a different line when I can get what I want from Carnival for a lower price?

Like Sandi, I think I'd like HAL. I'm not a party animal, late night person. But as long as I'm cruising with a college-aged DD, and footing the entire trip, I'm going to get the most bang for my buck, and that's with Carnival.

If I can get a friend or two to join me, or I start cruising solo, I'm going to check into HAL.

I absolutely loved my RCI cruise. It was fantastic. It even had a lot of (gasp) non-English speaking pax because it was a repo that ended in San Juan. It was a great cruise and I loved the Empress.

But as long as Carnival gives me what I want at a price I can afford, I'll sail Carnival!

There are several on the RC board who are very nasty and will attack anyone putting down RC especially one female poster. They all have thousands of posts and think they are the cruise experts. Im surprised some of them havent been banned. The comments they make about Carnival is ridiculous especially how gawdy the decorations are. There is some pretty gawdy stuff on RC also. I like RC and will go on that line again.

Well folks I worked at Wal-Mart for 12 years!! And I do have to say that yes they have just about everything you need and usually at the right price!! But here is an example of something i bought at Wal-Mart versus going to a designer store!! bought a leather patchwork purse at Wal-Mart for $19.98. Loved it!! My MIL which has to have the best of everything bought the same purse at a high-end store. Same label, same color just the same purse for $150.00 So if Carnival and RCCL is going to have about the same things why pay the higher price when you can get the same thing cheaper and use that extra money for excursions or buy you something special on the curise!! I'll go for Carnival everytime!!!:)

I know I am really glad I found this website! I chose Carnival because it was sailing out of Galveston (didn't have to fly). The first thing I did was look at some travel books on cruises. One of the first things I read had some bad comments about carnival (loud, obnoxius,etc). I was afraid I had made a mistake until I found this site. From what I have read over the last few months, it seems Carnvial is enjoyed by many and will be a wonderful vacation. We can't wait and will post reviews after we cruise.

Thank you to all who post on this site!!:)

I've been sailing sailing since 1975, as my screen name indicates, and for all those early years you wouldn't have caught me dead on a Carnival cruise! About 4/5 years ago a friend suggested we do a cruise to nowhere out of NYC on Carnival to see what all the fuss was about regarding how much Carnival had changed and the line wasn't really marketing that "fun ship" focus quite as much. What a delightful surprise.

Sailed on the Legend from fabulous NYC, past the spot where the World Trade Center left its mark, past Lady Liberty, under the Verazzano Bridge and made a wish (tradition!) and out into the open sea on one of the most lovely ships I'd sailed on in all my years. Delicious food, served by friendly and accommodating waiters and busboys; spacious and well-appointed cabins kept in ship-shape by pleasant and knowledgeable stewards; exquisite public rooms, entertaining shows, helpful staff, and generally an enjoyable experience.

Have been on all the usual lines, i.e, Costa, Celebrity, NCL, Cunard, Epirotiki, Home Lines, Chandris (pre Celeb), and frankly, Carnival compared well to each one of them, except perhaps Home Lines, which far exceeded any of the current ships in every way. (Ah, but that was THEN, and this is NOW.) I've sailed on Carnival 4 times since, and have a cruise planned on the Miracle for late '08 with friends and family which we are all very much anticipating with great expectations.

As others have said in a variety of ways, how in the world can you complain about being on a cruise ship in the middle of the ocean headed for a tropical isle?

Relax, calm down, look over the rail and enjoy the blue surrounding you. Just don't make me climb a wall or go ice skating. If I'd wanted to do those kinds of things I would have in someplace other than on a ship!

I've been sailing sailing since 1975' date=' as my screen name indicates, and for all those early years you wouldn't have caught me dead on a Carnival cruise! About 4/5 years ago a friend suggested we do a cruise to nowhere out of NYC on Carnival to see what all the fuss was about regarding how much Carnival had changed and the line wasn't really marketing that "fun ship" focus quite as much. What a delightful surprise.

Sailed on the Legend from fabulous NYC, past the spot where the World Trade Center left its mark, past Lady Liberty, under the Verazzano Bridge and made a wish (tradition!) and out into the open sea on one of the most lovely ships I'd sailed on in all my years. Delicious food, served by friendly and accommodating waiters and busboys; spacious and well-appointed cabins kept in ship-shape by pleasant and knowledgeable stewards; exquisite public rooms, entertaining shows, helpful staff, and generally an enjoyable experience.

Have been on all the usual lines, i.e, Costa, Celebrity, NCL, Cunard, Epirotiki, Home Lines, Chandris (pre Celeb), and frankly, Carnival compared well to each one of them, except perhaps Home Lines, which far exceeded any of the current ships in every way. (Ah, but that was THEN, and this is NOW.) I've sailed on Carnival 4 times since, and have a cruise planned on the Miracle for late '08 with friends and family which we are all very much anticipating with great expectations.

As others have said in a variety of ways, how in the world can you complain about being on a cruise ship in the middle of the ocean headed for a tropical isle?

Relax, calm down, look over the rail and enjoy the blue surrounding you. Just don't make me climb a wall or go ice skating. If I'd wanted to do those kinds of things I would have in someplace other than on a ship![/quote']

I did the Legend CTN last year and loved it. I also sailed the Miracle out of NY in June and loved that even more.:D If you loved the Legend, you will certainly love the Miracle. I started a thread "All Things Miracle". If you would like to see it and get some great tips and info about the ship, go here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=631682

Btw, my parents sailed on the Home Lines Oceanic and loved it. Those were the days of cruising. :)

Ford or Chevy????

This is what comes to mind when someone gets into the RCCL vs Carnival discussion. Both will get you where you want to go.....but some folks would never drive one or the other....:rolleyes:

Ford or Chevy????

This is what comes to mind when someone gets into the RCCL vs Carnival discussion. Both will get you where you want to go.....but some folks would never drive one or the other....:rolleyes:

I drive a Nissan Altima. :p:D:D

I think asking which ship line is best is like asking which is better

Ford or Chevy?

If you like something and been please, stick with it. Every cruise line

has something for everyone.

But on the same line. There just some people in this world you just

can not make happy.

I been on 8 Carnival cruises and yet to have a BAD one, where I would ratter

be at work !

I know I am really glad I found this website! I chose Carnival because it was sailing out of Galveston (didn't have to fly). The first thing I did was look at some travel books on cruises. One of the first things I read had some bad comments about carnival (loud, obnoxius,etc). I was afraid I had made a mistake until I found this site. From what I have read over the last few months, it seems Carnvial is enjoyed by many and will be a wonderful vacation. We can't wait and will post reviews after we cruise.

Thank you to all who post on this site!!:)

If I may be so bold... You might want to take a look at my review of the Conquest from my 9/23/2007 sailing. I'm not saying that it's good... just that it might give you a point of departure, so to speak, as you prepare for your cruise.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=33218

You'll also find additional reviews of the Conquest here:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=262

Most of them are quite positive.

Mach

I did the Legend CTN last year and loved it. I also sailed the Miracle out of NY in June and loved that even more.:D If you loved the Legend, you will certainly love the Miracle. I started a thread "All Things Miracle". If you would like to see it and get some great tips and info about the ship, go here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=631682

Btw, my parents sailed on the Home Lines Oceanic and loved it. Those were the days of cruising. :)

Hi there and thanks. I visited All Things Miracle I believe the same day you began the thread, which was within a day or two of our booking the Miracle out of NYC for 10/08/08 (I think!)! I actually sailed the Miracle about 3 years ago to Port Canaverale and Nassua. It took me awhile to realize I'd been on the ship, but thos French soldiers on the walls between the windows at the buffet were sure enough familiar and that's what did it - that and the Bacchus dining room with all the purple grapes! Great time, great ship, and so far my Carnival experiences have been the best. Thanks again Sandi and I'll be visiting the site often.:cool:

And yes, just thinking of Home Lines Oceanic, Doric, & Atlantic makes me smile broadly.

Archived