Newport, Boston, Bar Harbor reviews

sprinkles

Hi All,

Just got back from 10 days on the Grand Princess. I promised myself that I would write something here when I came home, as I had the hardest time finding information before I left. So a few tips for the BUDGET MINDED, if you're all about ship tours, don't bother reading, LOL.

NEWPORT:

Left tender area, walked to the left about 2 blocks to the visitor info area that opened at 9:00am. Got maps of the trolley area and walked out and waited. $5.00pp for a day pass or $1.50pp one way (we bought $5.00 passes - beware that they will not make change on the trolley we saw some people having problems and just holding up the line). Took the trolley to the Breakers and bought a two mansion ticket for $23.00pp (Princess wanted $46.00pp). There is a line on one side of the house for ship tours and one for private ticket holders on the left. They told us they take 20 ship tour people then 10 private ticket holders. We got inside in about 15 minutes. Loved the Breakers. We then got back on the trolley and went to Marble House. No line, it's a self guided tour and they give you headsets. Also enjoyed Marble House very much and walked around the grounds. Beautiful views from the back of the property. Took the trolley back to the tender area by 12:30. There where monster tender lines (ship was supposed to leave by 2:00pm). So we spent time in the shopping area.

BOSTON: Princess wanted $12.00pp roundtrip for a shuttle service to Quincy Market. After reading these boards we already knew about the city bus/subway. So we walked out from the terminal to the left, to the end of the terminal building. Silverline bus stop right there. Only waited about 10 minutes and the bus came. $2.00pp and the bus driver was very helpful. The bus took us directly to South Station, underground, where we transferred for free to the subway (bus driver gave us very good directions). Took the RED IN-BOUND train one stop to DOWNTOWN CROSSING, then changed to ORANGE IN-BOUND for two stops where we got off at HAYMARKET (if you stayed on one more stop to STATE STREET you would come up in the state building and be right across the street from Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market). We got off at Haymarket and walked outside to the bus stop (we were going to take the city trolley, but after talking with the bus driver we were more confident in our independent plans). We took the 92 bus (93 bus would have been better) for a $1.70 to the USS Constitution (short walk from the bus - 93 bus would get you closer). The Constitution opened up at 10:00am exactly when we got there. If you just want to walk around the top, you can walk right on. We waited a little while and took the tour (all free), very interesting (and I'm female and only 39) enjoyed it very much. Then we walked around the free museum which is right next door. Then walked a short way and caught the ferry (signs everywhere - there is also a tourist center when you enter the Navy yard) for $1.70pp. sat on top (even though it was cold) and saw gorgeous views of Boston Harbor. The ferry dropped us off right at the Aquarium and a short walk away from Quincy Market. At Quincy Market we ate at the place in the middle that had seating (look for the one that has their clam chowder and bread out for free tastes) enjoyed our first lobster roll and clam chowder. Spent time shopping and checked out Fanheuil Hall and the old State Building (it was cold and we were tired so we decided to head back - certainly had a few more hours there and could have done more - like a walking tour from the State Building. Entered the subway directly under the State Building and reversed our tracks. $2.00 pp ORANGE OUT-Bound three stops to downtown crossing, then RED OUT-BOUND one stop to SOUTH STATION. Followed the signs back out to the SILVERLINE BUS (still free) and took the 92 bus back to the ship. So for about $8.00pp we had transportation all around the city and had a fun day - plus we had all the time in the world to do what we wanted.

BAR HARBOR - took the 2.5 hour tour to Acadia Nat Park for $10pp less than the ships tour. This is a toss-up. I would have enjoyed the seats better on a big tour bus - the seats were VERY cramped on Olli's Trolley (and every seat was taken). However, I have to believe that the tour was more intimate and even maybe more fun than a big ship's tour - hard to say. After our tour we went to the Lobster Claw for more lobster rolls and clam chowder (we were lucky and beat the crowds coming back from tours, the line got very long and most people didn't get a seat). Enjoyed the clam chowder and bread n butter lobster rolls very much and the owner was a crack up - if you ever saw the soup **** on Seinfeld, he's kinda like that. We then walked back up to Jordin's restaurant (friends we ate with were smarter, they walked to Jordin's and got their blueberry pie to go and took it with them to the Lobster Claw which is down the hill). Spent the rest of our time shopping (one of the nicest shopping ports - many shops gave a 10% discount to cruisers).

OK, so I hope I've helped someone - probably too late for this year, but maybe for next year. Bon Voyage all!

Tammy

Hi All,

OK, so I hope I've helped someone - probably too late for this year, but maybe for next year. Bon Voyage all!

Tammy

Not at all! We leave NYC on Sunday for the last Canada/New England cruise of the season! Thanks for your detailed instructions - we're going to put them to use!!! :D

Like Sailbad said, no pictures inside. However, if you do go to Marble House, definately walk out to the back of the property. We took lovely pictures of other "cottages" along the coast there. Also, there was a souvenier shop in town near the tender area where we picked up a mansion souvenier book for only a few bucks that had quite a few inside photos of both the Breakers and Marble House (as well as some others).

Tammy

Sprinkles--We were on the same cruise as you were. Even though we thought the cruise in general was a bit of a disappointment, we enjoyed the three ports you reviewed here. We didn't do what you did in Newport (we had been there not too many yrs. ago), but also used the bus and subway in Boston. Found it very easy to do. We were on an Oli's Trolley in Bar Harbor also. That place is delightful! I agree that you really can do this trip and not use the ship's tours. Weren't Oli's Trolley tours cheaper than the same thing by Princess tour bus? Our most pleasant day was a rental car in Sydney and a beautiful drive to Baddeck and tour of Alexander G. Bell museum. The biggest disappointment was the cancellation of the stop in Charlottetown and the stop in Corner Brook.

• 6 months later...

I wish the free bus ran earier in June. We'll be there before it gets going. We decided to rent bikes and went for a tandem, rather than 2 separate bikes, so that we can take turns if we get tired. Having the shuttle as a backup would be nice, but we're hoping to still check out a lot of the stone bridges, maybe stop for tea at the Jordan Pond house, we'll see what else we're up to. I have a National Parks Passport book that I'll need to go to a visitor's center to get stamped. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived