Returned from Avalon Poetry-30Sept-part1

NorthernIce06

:) We just returned from our first River Cruise on Avalon Poetry, and here are

our opinions of the overall trip.

Getting there was a real adventure. We flew Edmonton/Toronto/Zurich/

Budapest on the outbound. I did my own Air, and due to late booking I was unable to get good connections.

We arrived in Budapest 2 days before cruise, and thanks to advice used

Zone Taxi at Airport. Use booth outside arrival entrance, and you will receive

a ticket with your Hotel and the price on it. The cab driver is bound by this. In

our case we stayed at Grand Corinthian Royal and the fare was 2100 forint($12.00 cad approx.) Beware of people spotting your cruise tags and telling you you have to go about 100 metres outside arrival area where taxis

can charge whatever.

We met our Cruise Director Hendrik Jan at the Cafe Gerbeaud Haz, and had Coffee and Juice and left our luggage for transfer to Poetry. This Cruise

was boarding at Eztergom, and a coach transfer was available later that afternoon. We were also offered a optional excursion to Szentendre at a additional cost of $34.00US, and we optioned to take it. Well worth it as a start to our Cruise. A quick walk around including a short walk to the Chain

Bridge, and a lunch in a sidewalk cafe and we were off.

Upon arrival at Eztergom, we boarded the Poetry and were served Wine,

and introduced to the crew. A short check in including giving them our Passports and we went to our Cabin. We were in the lower deck-water level-and the cabin was great. Small bathroom, but all we needed. Close to stairs was a bonus.

This was where we started to adapt to River Cruising. I went up to the

Lounge and asked if I could order a drink, as I had not yet given Credit Card

to the Front Desk, and the answer was a smiling most certainly, just give cabin number. The bartender Petre became a favorite of mine right away. All the staff were always smiling and greeting you from the Deck Hands to

the Captain. Nice blue tops and orange ties were the uniform and the crew always looked fresh and ready to serve you no matter how many hours worked.

Up to the Sun Deck with my Beer in tow, and set and watched the scenery as we pulled out. Surprise, no chair hogs, and plenty of space to

sit. Our first meal in the Dining Room was better than we thought it would be. Open seating gave us a chanch to meet our fellow passengers, and get a feel for what to expect. Two choices on every item on the menu, and good ones they were. Soups were Cream or a clear broth style and excellent. Portions were generous. After Dinner we retired to the Lounge for night caps, and the entertainment was a one man band who was very talented.

As we were tired, we retired early, and as I mentioned before we were on lower deck, and this took some getting use to. Water against ship gave the effect of sleeping in a washing machine. They did however supply ear plugs, and only on the first night did we notice it. After that I didnt even notice the sound and slept quite well. This was not a factor in enjoying the cruise.

More in part 2, as this was where we really found the differences.

I may be a bit long winded here, but there was so much to tell about.

Archived