New York Hotel

BEACHLOVER101

I will be cruising out of New York in June. I am staying in New York 2 nights, pre-cruise. Princess has booked me at the Sheraton Hotel and Towers. Can anyone tell me if this is a nice hotel? Would also like to hear from New Yorkers about how safe New York is for my 14 year old daughter and myself. We are very excited but a little nervous since it's just the 2 of us.

The Sheraton is just fine - nice hotel, good location in Midtown. I think NYC is very safe, particularly in Midtown; I've certainly never worried about walking around at night after a show. Having said that, as with any large city you need to use common sense. What would you and your daughter like to do during your stay?

We want to see a Broadway show and we are thinking about a tour on the double decker bus. Would like to see The View but I don't think they will let a 14 year old in the show, not sure why she would love it. Thanks for the info on hotel, if you have any other advice let me know

This summer my 16 year old daughter and I went to NYC for a dance competition and stayed at the Sheraton Towers. It was nice and in a convenient location for things to do. Most of the floors have been recently renovated; others are in the process. Only a short walk to Times Square, is near some great shops the girls liked to go to and plenty of spots within a block or two for food. There is a subway stop outside the hotel as well. There is a stop right out front of the hotel for the Grey Line city bus tour. And the best part for my daughter and the other dancers was to find great deals on pocketbooks (which seems to be a favorite pasttime for them!!!). You will have a great time!! Enjoy!:) :)

You and your daughter will love NY! We took our 16 yo for her birthday last year. She and I got off at the wrong subway stop leaving DH & other daughter on the train. Her first words were: "Yeah, we're lost in NY!" After a brief panic, (on my part not hers!) I asked a policeman (there's nearly one on every corner between Times Square and the financial district) if we were heading in the right direction to make our destination and we walked the rest of the way and met up with our party. She and I also walked the entire length of the fashion district, Times Square, on up to Rock Center one day on our own. We never felt uneasy. Our family walked about 1/2 mile to our hotel every night and always felt comfortable. Sure stuff happens but it can happen anywhere. Keep alert and try not to "look" like a tourist. We found New Yorkers to be extremely friendly and helpful. Be sure and read the tripadvisor boards and search the reviews of your hotel.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g60763-i5-New_York_City_New_York.html

is this the same Sheraton as in Sheraton Manhattan in Times Square. People are hitting on this hotel on Priceline for $95. per night for May & June 2008.

Any thoughts about this one?

Nope, it's not the same Sheraton. From all reports the Sheraton Towers is the better of the two (at least that's the report this year -- last year it was the other way 'round).

I just got the Sheraton Manhattan (51st St. & 7th Ave.) on Hotwire for $103 per night for our NY trip (not pre or post cruise) next May. Whichever Sheraton doesn't matter to us, it's still a great deal. Sheraton's website quotes a price of $442 per night for our stay.

Nope, it's not the same Sheraton. From all reports the Sheraton Towers is the better of the two (at least that's the report this year -- last year it was the other way 'round).

I just got the Sheraton Manhattan (51st St. & 7th Ave.) on Hotwire for $103 per night for our NY trip (not pre or post cruise) next May. Whichever Sheraton doesn't matter to us, it's still a great deal. Sheraton's website quotes a price of $442 per night for our stay.

Thanks Sharon ~ I am looking for a hotel for late April. I have seen many hitting and getting this hotel this last week.. reviews are very mixed though..but $95. is hard to ignore. We need a hotel for 4 nights

That's the same way we thought. For 4 nights at $103 per night we can live with it!! Not at $442 per night!

Don't forget to check out Hotwire - it might be a couple of dollars more, but you can be pretty sure of the hotel (just like at Priceline) ... if you check out the lists at http://www.betterbidding.com before buying.

Archived