Zipline Question

bubbles1209

Has anyone done the zipline excursion in Ocho Rios tha is offered through the ship? If so, how much uphill is there to it, and how strenuous was the uphill portion? Also, how much climbing was involoved? Any help is appreciated. We're thinking of booking it for June throught the ship, just wonder if anyone's done it. I asked in the Jamaica forum, but no answer since I posted it .Thanks in advance:)

I did the "short" zip tour in Costa Rica....the climb up was just WRONG....(we did the short zip because we were with 7 & 5 year old because they stated they would be assisted.....they werent another story) wish we would have done the "long" zip....it dropped you off right at first zip line, both totally safe. The short zip was 7 the long zip was 12..took just as long..I could have done the 12 without the misery of the treak up to the short one........GOOD question! Bring extra water, put it in your shorts or down your top (they dont allow back packs or the like), DONT leave it behind, and bring a hand towel if you are a "sweater".

DH and I did the Ocho Rios, Jamaica zipline 2 years ago when we were on the Mariner. It was a GREAT excursion! This was something that was way, way "out of the box" for me and I was super nervous about doing it but it was AWESOME!!

I honestly don't remember any "uphill" walking. It was a short walk from where we got our gear/instructions to the first platform and most of it was flat or actually steps down. Now the steps down were a bit steep and with my short legs, to me that was the most strenuous part, but not that bad.

If I remember correctly there were 9 zips - 7 going across and 2 down but the crew controls the down ones and you don't drop hard or anything like that.

Then it's a short walk out after the zip lining is over and it was all flat, and nice and wide. You come out to a small open area with picnic tables and you are given punch/rum punch or water before getting back on the bus to be taken back.

Oh, there is a stop at the farm (Chukka Cove was the name of the tour operator I believe) before the zip-lining starts - for a bathroom stop.

Then they stop there again on the way back so you can buy your pictures (the crew takes pictures of you while zipping, and they add a bunch of other ones onto the CD too), or do a little souvenir shopping.

It was a really, really great excursion. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

It was mostly a downhill or flat walk.

We were scared but we had a blast! We would do it again in a heartbeat. It took a few zips through the air to get past the fear and to allow yourself to just sit back a enjoy the experience. It was a bit muddy the day we went and one woman slipped down a few steps ..she wasn't hurt but it shook her up enough to turn around ..I went down Slowly. If it's rainy at all wear only shoes and clothes you don't care about because we really did get muddy.

We did this on Christmas Day last year on our Victory cruise and it was so much fun. The bus takes you to the drop off point and then you get suited up with the harness. You then walk to the first zip, it was not too far or strenuous. The zips were awesome. Taking the first step off was nerve wracking but once you do it, it is so exhilirating. You just zip from point to point, no walking involved. I won't tell you all the details as there are some fun surprises. At the end we had to walk about 20 minutes to get back to the bus but it was mostly downhill. My DH was able to do this without any problems and he had bad asthma and cancer and was in the middle of chemo treatments. I would definitely do this again and if my mom wasn't coming with us on this next cruise I would try in in Roatan.

Book it, you will have a blast.

I believe we were on the Elation cruise with you.

Thanks so very much for the replies, I think we'll probably book it, DH is seeing his daughter and her family for the 1st time in about 10 years on this trip, and I think we'd all have a blast! I was concerned about the walking portion because in the excursion description on Carnival's site, it says uphill walking and I don't think DH would fair well with that. I really appreciate the help:)

I believe we were on the Elation cruise with you.

We were on there together!! How have you been? As you can see, I got hooked:p I'm so excited about our upcoming Feb. trip, only 111 more days to go!

If you survive the nail-biting bus ride to the canopy area, the walk will be a piece of cake! Scary ride, thats all I can say! The walk at the canopy site wasnt too bad. After you gear-up, you head out, on a gravel/dirt trail. Some of the stair steps are kinda deep and you need to make sure you maintain an even speed otherwise you might take a tumble. There is a rail along a majority of the path that I kept my hand on, just in case. There are a couple of places where you will need to duck under tree limbs. I do not remember any uphill walking at all. After your last line, you will walk back to the parking lot area. This is a smooth, flat walk over even ground. Enjoy the river views and flowers on the trail back!

also going to ocho rios in aug.--does anyone remember $$

also dunns river falls tour--if not booked thru carnival any other suggestions?

I just looked up the price from my December trip and the zip line "Canopy Adventure" was $89 per person. The price on the list from my March trip is $99 so the price may have gone up since we did it in December.

We were on there together!! How have you been? As you can see, I got hooked:p I'm so excited about our upcoming Feb. trip, only 111 more days to go!

Yeah, after that first one you are hooked.:D It is great that you have 3 in the hopper. I only have one right now and that is coming up real soon. Things have not been good this year, Bill lost his battle with cancer on June 3 so it has been real difficult. CC is very theraputic. He made me promise to continue cruising and he will always be there with us. So this one is a combination DD birthday/Thanksgiving cruise. Mom is coming with us as well as DD friend. We even got upgraded from 2 balcony rooms to 2 Cat 11 suites and it wasn't even booked as a guarantee. Told DD that this was Dad's way of sending her a birthday present.

It is great that your DH daughter is coming with you. You all will have so much fun. Book that zipline and don't look back.

Has anyone done the zipline excursion in Ocho Rios tha is offered through the ship? If so, how much uphill is there to it, and how strenuous was the uphill portion? Also, how much climbing was involoved? Any help is appreciated. We're thinking of booking it for June throught the ship, just wonder if anyone's done it. I asked in the Jamaica forum, but no answer since I posted it .Thanks in advance:)

Did it this past April

Scary bus ride up the mountain on crummy roads.Suited up for a 20 minute very slippery walk mostly down hill on hundreds of not so good steps.Some rail/ropes to hold onto.be very careful walking not to take an ankle out.Very slippery flat areas with some braches in the way.only 1 vertical drop. Once you start there is no turning back.They stop to sell you photos after at a tourist trap.

Archived