Princess Whittier to Anchorage Grandview Train - FYI

Both Princess & Alaska Railroad confirmed in telephone conversations today that the Princess Grandview Train Whittier/Anchorage goes "only" to the rail station at the Ted Stevens Anchorage Airport. Sort of a surprise since I was previously told by Princess that the train stopped at the airport station and then went on to the downtown Anchorage rail station. Sounded reasonable & that's how we planned. Princess now says that they only buses people to/from the airport from downtown - not by train. Might be of interest to anyone who has made their own post cruise travel arrangements for hotel, car, etc., after the Princess transfer. I'm now making alternative transport/luggage arrangements as a result. No problem - but, it would have be nice to have this kind of info up front. Just an FYI. SeaFish

So does that mean if you are taking the Princess Grandview train from Whittier and are renting a car at the Anchorage airport, you AND your luggage are dropped at the airport? I'm soooo confused about where I will pick up luggage in Anchorage. My TA said at Egan Center.

Hi Budget Queen - good to hear from you. Regarding "If you get off the train at the airport" this info might help someone. The airport station is the last stop for the Princess Grandview Train. Apparently it does not go to the downtown train station. Princess did say that the Egan Center is used as their Passenger Reception/Staging Center for Southbound cruisers who are bussed from the center to the aiport rail station with luggage to board the train for the return trip to Whittier.

BTW - we'll be doing Ketchikan Misty Fjords Southeast Aviation soon. I'll say hello to Jim K for you. Take care - SeaFish

So glad to find this topic icon_smile.gif

I e.mail TA yesterday just about this as we opted for the cruise transfer but didn't specify whether motorcoach or train.

From the blurb I was sent you take the train to the airport and then a bus downtown.

Does anyone know what time you leave Whittier and arrive in Anchorage via either the motorcoach or bus? I'm wondering if there is an advantage over taking one or the other.

Lisa

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;7;19;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

July 19 - Dawn Princess

[This message was edited by me@sea on 06-15-04 at 11:04 PM.]

me@sea - thanks for the info. Your TA indicates that the Princess Whittier/Anchorage Grandview Train does have a bus transfer at the airport rail depot that continues the transfer to downtown. My TA, and phones call to both Princess and Alaska RR said "the final stop is at the airport depot". Princess said that passengers with Princess post-cruise hotel stays will be provided bus transportation from the airport to downtown. If no Princess hotel - no transfer. I guess we'll find out for sure shortly onboard Coral Princess exactly where our final Whittier/Anchorage train transfer stop will be - at the airport rail depot? or - the continuing bus transfer from the airport to downtown. In any event - we have made arrangements through our hotel for an airport pickup just in case. BTW - our train tickets show a Whittier departure time of 830A - ANC arrival 1115A. Hope this help. SeaFish

Thanks SeaFish! icon_smile.gif

I did book a hotel through my TA so maybe that is why we have the differing information.

Isn't it funny that you just aren't sure where you will end up in Anchorage. That is the thought that dawned on me this weekend -- where are we going to end up.

And thank you for the times. Means we'll have the afternoon/evening in Anchorage.

Lisa

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;7;19;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

July 19 - Dawn Princess

If I may chime in here. We are also doing a VC to Whittier on Princess. We did NOT make any transfer plans thru Princess. Do we have any other options if you do NOT use Princess??. What time is disembarkation when you get to Whittier. I see that the ship arrives sometime in the early morning. To make an 8:30 train, you would have to disembark very early. Does anyone have an info on this??

Also, where is the best place to rent a car, downtown or at the airport??

Giantfan13, Our flight out from ANC is not until 10:00pm, so we were originally going to take the train from Whittier, and then rent a car in Anchorage for the rest of the day. We are now renting a car in Whittier, and driving to Anchorage at our own pace. The car will be returned at the airport. The costs were about the same, with some more freedom.

Giantfan13 - You can book direct with both the bus and train Whittier to Anchorage. For the Coral Princess she arrives Whittier 2AM. I was told we would disembark about 8AM(?). I believe the 830A train time is a Princess Transfer. There are other regular scheduled departures -some later in the evening. Check the Alaska RR site for all train info. IMO -I think a car rental at the airport is best due to full service hours of operation and - if flying out of ANC I think it's just easier to return the car to the airport - not to mention a possible cost savings when returning the car to the same location. We are not going out of ANC - but, still opted for an airport car rental. Hope this helps. SeaFish

My sources say you can be off the ship very early - by 0700 if desired. The regular run of the Alaska RR is around 6pm. The only car rental option is Avis to the airport. There are also independent buses.

We are renting the car thru Avis from 8:00am in Whittier and are dropping it off at ANC at 7:00pm for about $226. The train transfers are $89 per person, so when we did the math it made sense for us just to rent for the day.

Renting the car in Whittier has several benefits. The drive will take you through Portage valley and along some fantastic scenery as you drive along the Turnagain arm. There are many pull-out areas with interesting information about the area. Beluga whales and/or Dall sheep can often be seen from the highway and driving gives you the option to stop for viewing or pictures. There is also the possibility to see the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center (formerly Big Game Alaska)-they take in orphan animals so you often get to see moose calves or bear cubs along with caribou, sitka deer, musk ox, etc.

Dawn Princess, Eastern Caribbean 12/1999

Voldendam, So.Caribbean, 1/2002

Star Princess, Mexican Riviera 12/2002

Grand Princess, W. Caribbean 12/2003 Dawn Princess, W. Caribbean Adventurer 12/2004

countdown.php?month=12&year=2004&day=03&hour=17:00

Archived