Snorkeling with a 4 year old

mamasweetcheeks

My DH and DS ( 4 yrs old ) and I have booked a 11 day Hawaiian Cruise on POA November 10th and my son would like to snorkel with us. We are planning to snorkel at Hananamau Bay because it is shallow. My son has taken 3 swimming classes but still doesn't know how to swim. He does have a certified life jacket. Would it be worth renting a snorkel and mask at Snorkel Bob's? I am not sure the mask would fit his little face. Someone had suggested to use a boogie board that has a "viewing window". I haven't seen a boogie board like that. Where can I get one? I would appreciate any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks

Our daughter has been snorkeling since she was little. Buy the mask and snorkel at home - the smallest you can find and have him practice in the bath tub. You can get sets at Target and many other stores. As for the board you can pick them up at a lot of stores in Hawaii.

You definitely should either buy a small mask and snorkle to fit his face and practice at home first. It's possible that you can rent one onsite, but I'd still want to practice first.

Then try it; be prepared that if it's a little cool or the water is choppy that he may not want to stay with it; on the other hand, if the conditions are good he will have a great time. With a good life jacket on, he can enjoy the water with you without snorkeling, too.

My experience with small kids snorkeling is that you have to be flexible and remember that their attention span and endurance is probably going to be much less than an adults and be prepared to change plans as needed--playing on the beach is a great time too.

I also want to add that it depends on the life jacket--some kid's jackets make snorkeling difficult.

I also want to add that it depends on the life jacket--some kid's jackets make snorkeling difficult.

Yes, most life jackets are designed to keep your head out of the water, thus making it difficult to snorkel. ;) I've snorkeled once at Coco Cay and it was required that we wear snorkel vests. I was miffed at first, but it actually made it much easier because you could just float. I would imagine a good snorkel place would have these for kids too. Check to make sure.

Archived