Private Island Beach Break in Belize? Can Anyone Help

As You Wish

Has anyone done this excursion recently? Do you go to Bannister Island? I'd appreciate any and all details & pictures if you have them. I tried searching through the last 3 months of posts on the Belize board without much luck. I'm trying to determine if this would be a good excursion to bring my 2 year old DD on.

Thanks.

Not real recently, but we did the Private Island Beach Break in March 2006. Yes, it does go to Bannister Island. I can't imagine that it is much different now than it was then. Here is what I wrote in my review of that cruise:

We did Bannister Island on our Miracle cruise March 2006. It was a Carnival excursion (Private Island Beach Break); we were picked up by a tender right at the ship and taken to the Island ~ about 20 – 30 minutes by boat. There were other cruise lines there using the Island that day as well.

We had a fun day on Bannister Island. There is an open-air restaurant/bar with a roof. Clean bathrooms. Plenty of lounge chairs on the beach. The beach is nice, and there is a swimming area roped off that is good sized. Not terribly deep, we went all the way out to the ropes and the water was about neck-deep out there. The water was nice a warm. It was a little cloudy and windy the day we were there, but still nice.

Waitresses came by our lounge chairs and took orders of drinks and/or food all day and would bring it out to you in the lounge chair. We had some chicken strips that were quite tasty. The menu isn't huge, but they offer hamburgers, hot dogs, nachos, bar-b-q chicken, etc.

There are float mats that you can use for free. They have kayaks and paddle boats that you can rent, for an extra fee.

If you have questions, I'll be glad to try and answer. :)

I have friends going in Dec that I am trying to help plan what they are going to do and with whom. Can you guys tell me, can they get this with anyone reliable besides the Ship and how much it costs per person? They are going in a group of about 10-15 people. Thanks a bunch! :)

I may be wrong, but for this particular beach, it is a ship's excursion only. The arrivals are timed as to not overcrowd the island. My suggestion is to take the earliest excursion. We had the whole island to ourselves (with the others on our boat) for a good hour, before other excursioners arrived. I think there are 4 times.

I don't remember about the cost, but I think it was around $25 pp. I can't imagine that my DH would have paid much more for the 5 of us! :D

Thanks Sea Island Lady, the pictures look wonderful.

Isabell, I read over on the Belize board that people book have booked an excursion to Bannister Island through Coral Breeze Tours. I don't know any of the details. I just wanted to confirm that Carnival's excursion went there not somewhere else. I usually book excursions indenpendently, but I think I'll go through Carnvival for this since Belize is a tender port.

I may be wrong, but for this particular beach, it is a ship's excursion only. The arrivals are timed as to not overcrowd the island. My suggestion is to take the earliest excursion. We had the whole island to ourselves (with the others on our boat) for a good hour, before other excursioners arrived. I think there are 4 times.

I don't remember about the cost, but I think it was around $25 pp. I can't imagine that my DH would have paid much more for the 5 of us! :D

Ok Good info, thanks a bunch! With that many going the excursions can really add up! Taking the cruise because of the good price, but all the things add up to make it a bunch more!:eek:

Thanks Sea Island Lady, the pictures look wonderful.

Isabell, I read over on the Belize board that people book have booked an excursion to Bannister Island through Coral Breeze Tours. I don't know any of the details. I just wanted to confirm that Carnival's excursion went there not somewhere else. I usually book excursions indenpendently, but I think I'll go through Carnvival for this since Belize is a tender port.

Thanks As you Wish I'll go looking again, and Sea Lady Most Excellent Pics! I sent copies to my friends that are taking the cruise. What camera did you use?? Beautiful Beautiful:D

If you take the ship excursion to Bannister Island can you book a snorkel excursion when you get there? The excursion from the NCL Spirit talks about snorkeling but it's not clear if it's from shore or you can pay extra on the Island for a boat snorkel.

Hey Sarah, Jerry here.

We booked a snuba excursion through Carnival which goes to Bannister Island. The boat will pick us up right at the ship and bring us directly to Bannister Island. This excursion leaves the ship at 12:30 PM and returns around 4:30 PM. They also offer snorkeling from the same boat as well.

It's my understanding that if you book independently, you have to tender to the mainland and then meet your tour operator there.

Other posters have stated that snorkeling is pretty good right from the island.

Hope that helps.

BTW, Great pictures Sea Island Lady

Jerry

Thanks As you Wish I'll go looking again, and Sea Lady Most Excellent Pics! I sent copies to my friends that are taking the cruise. What camera did you use?? Beautiful Beautiful:D

Thank you! The camera is ancient and I have requested a new one for Christmas (for my Mediterranean cruise.) It's a Sony Cyber Shot DSC P72. "Radio" from these CC boards recommended it years ago. I'll have to ask him what's next! ;) As you will see from the following movie, the video part of the camera is not great. :o

What is meant by a thrill ride as I do get sea sickness on small tenders? Can someone explain what the ride is like?

Our ride was in a large speed boat, not one of the yacht type cruisers that some others arrived on (look at the end of my movie and I have some video footage that shows the two types of boats.) The beginning of the movie, also has some video footage that show the speed of our trip. It's short footage, but focus on the island in the background and you may get sea sick just watching.:D The rest of the video consist of stills of the island.

th_BannisterIsland.jpg

Jerry, fancy meeting you here. Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll see you on Bannister Island.

Sea Island Lady, thaks again for the pictures. I see what you mean about the trip to the island being an adventure. I think I'll stop by a boating store before my cruise to get a toddler life jacket for my DD. She'll probably love the ride, but I'll be nervous picturing her flying out of the boat as we speed through the water. Wow!

No need to worry about the little one falling out, the boat was covered (see still photo of the kids in the boat. Oldest daughter was not feeling well - from the night before :rolleyes: - and the other two were laughing at her because they knew the ride was getting to her. Others in the boat were sick!)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived