More than 2 years since last dive

Boytjie

It seems that you need to have done a dive in the previous 2 years to go on a ship's excursion.

Any advice? Thanks.

a) Check with some local dive shops. Does one have a pool where they can give you a refresher course....

b) They've never asked to see my log :rolleyes: dive at your own risk.....

c) got time...head south a day or so early and make arrangements with a Florida Keys shop for a refresher and open water dive.....

these guys are right by the entrance to Pennecamp in Key Largo - about an hour/ hour and half from Miami

a) Check with some local dive shops. Does one have a pool where they can give you a refresher course....

b) They've never asked to see my log :rolleyes: dive at your own risk.....

c) got time...head south a day or so early and make arrangements with a Florida Keys shop for a refresher and open water dive.....

these guys are right by the entrance to Pennecamp in Key Largo - about an hour/ hour and half from Miami

http://www.quiescence.com/

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I'd agree with others that a refresher course is the way to go. I know from first hand experience (with Princess) that even if you take a refresher course but indicate on the paperwork that it has been over 2 years since your last dive, you will not be allowed to dive. I think a better option is to go with an independent who takes small groups and knows your status, like Scuba Laura said. Our Divemaster Alison in Coz pretty much literally took my wife by the hand until she regained confidence after a long gap of not diving.

I'd agree with others that a refresher course is the way to go. I know from first hand experience (with Princess) that even if you take a refresher course but indicate on the paperwork that it has been over 2 years since your last dive, you will not be allowed to dive. I think a better option is to go with an independent who takes small groups and knows your status, like Scuba Laura said. Our Divemaster Alison in Coz pretty much literally took my wife by the hand until she regained confidence after a long gap of not diving.

Just so people know, I hadn't dove for just over 2 years when I went on my first Princess Cruise (a few years back now). I took a refresher course before the cruise. There was no open water diving but the refresher gave me enough confidence to feel okay about diving. I talked with the dive master on the ship and he was fine with it. After the first port, I could officially say I had been diving within the last two years.

There was a little luck, the dive operator at the third port wanted to see everyone's log books but since my last dive was the day before he had no problem with me.

So, it is hit or miss as to whether or not a pool refresher course would have been enough for Boytjie. Fortunately, the point is moot.

Happy diving Boytjie! :)

I'm not sure using an independent is that crucial. I just went diving for the first time in 8 years on Grand Turk (post refresher course). I went on HAL's excursion with Oasis Divers and though the group was rather large, 15 divers, we split into two smaller groups. I'd told the DM about my hiatus, and he was great, acting as my buddy and taking really good care of me. So, independent or ship's tour, I'd say a caring DM really makes the difference.

PS: the Coral Gardens dive was great.

Just so people know, I hadn't dove for just over 2 years when I went on my first Princess Cruise (a few years back now). I took a refresher course before the cruise. There was no open water diving but the refresher gave me enough confidence to feel okay about diving. I talked with the dive master on the ship and he was fine with it. After the first port, I could officially say I had been diving within the last two years.

There was a little luck, the dive operator at the third port wanted to see everyone's log books but since my last dive was the day before he had no problem with me.

So, it is hit or miss as to whether or not a pool refresher course would have been enough for Boytjie. Fortunately, the point is moot.

Happy diving Boytjie! :)

I did the refresher course last November in Key West and did two dives the next day. In about 2 weeks I'll be getting ready to board the Zuiderdam. Getting excited, especially since I have also gotten a underwater housing for my camera.

I did the refresher course last November in Key West and did two dives the next day. In about 2 weeks I'll be getting ready to board the Zuiderdam. Getting excited, especially since I have also gotten a underwater housing for my camera.

You're going to enjoy the Zuiderdam, I know I did.

Cool, hope you post your pictures when you return and of course we love to hear how your dives went. I don't think I saw, where are you going to be diving?

Thanks,

Randall

Cool, hope you post your pictures when you return and of course we love to hear how your dives went. I don't think I saw, where are you going to be diving?

Thanks,

Randall

Roatan, Belize and Cozumel. If I get some good pictures I will post them. :)

It seems that you need to have done a dive in the previous 2 years to go on a ship's excursion.

Any advice? Thanks.

How did you know this before you go? I got on the ship and the tickets said 2 years, I was 2 years, 6 months, my last dive was in Aruba, we had signed up to scuba in Aruba port, but I was told they would deny me, so we went on a helmet dive, which was ok and allowed me to play with my new underwater housing, but I was glad I hadn't hauled along more than my mask and snorkel. I yelled at them and said it should be on their website, maybe the took my advice. I had a year to go diving, but all we have around here is murky lakes and it's not a lot of fun and they are cold.

I actually had been certified aroud 1999 and had not been diving since. We went on Princess Cruises and we did the DIscover SCUBA tour in St. Maarten (my DH is not certified) and I was able to use the tour as a refresher class. WSe had a great time together. By doing the Discover tour, I was then able to book another certified dive trip in another port.

I yelled at them and said it should be on their website, maybe the took my advice.

I would be yelling at my original instructor and asking why I got certified without knowing taking two and a half years off and not taking a refrsher course was a bad idea.

Dale

PADI OWSI

How did you know this before you go? I got on the ship and the tickets said 2 years, I was 2 years, 6 months, my last dive was in Aruba, we had signed up to scuba in Aruba port, but I was told they would deny me, so we went on a helmet dive, which was ok and allowed me to play with my new underwater housing, but I was glad I hadn't hauled along more than my mask and snorkel. I yelled at them and said it should be on their website, maybe the took my advice. I had a year to go diving, but all we have around here is murky lakes and it's not a lot of fun and they are cold.

I sailed on the Golden Princess on March 2006. It had been 2 year and 8 months since I had been scuba diving. I booked my shore excursions online. As I was booking them I read the part about requiring a recent dive. The note was VERY explicit. This was the first time I'd ever been on a cruise and the message clearly stated that they would require a lot entry in my diver's log book. My main purpose for going on the cruise was to get back into diving. I called Princess and they assured me that taking a recent refresher course would be sufficient. I immediately went to the closest dive shop and asked about doing a refresher course. I had no problems once I got to the ship; actually, no one asked for my log.

Maybe I was looking for things like this. First time cruising plus as a private pilot I knew that large airports would not let me fly out of their airport and small airports require me to do a checkout flight around the airport before I'm allow to use the facilities if I haven't logged any flights in the past year.

It just makes sense to me that something as technical as scuba diving is something you need to do on a regular basis to remain proficient. Talking to people who cruise a lot, if you have been a diver for many years with hundreds of dives logged but you have not been diving for the past 2 years, they would be okay with you diving. If, like me, you had 10 dives and then didn't dive for 2 years and 8 months, there is a strong chance you forgot a lot. They want you to do a refresher.

...I know from first hand experience (with Princess) that even if you take a refresher course but indicate on the paperwork that it has been over 2 years since your last dive, you will not be allowed to dive....

Huh? I thought that a refresher course meant that you can now dive anywhere - that you generally had to have dived or refreshed within the last 12 months and you're good to go. No?

The HAL excursion web site mentioned the 2 years.

Archived