Waterlemon Key, St John, Does anyone know of a day sail from St Thomas?

Starz723

Hi CC friends:

Waterlemon Key is magnificent.It has some of the best snorkeling Ive ever seen. Ive been there when I stayed on St John for 10 days. I took a day sail from St John and put in from the boat.

I have been to St Thomas 3 times on cruises and cannot find anyone to take me to Waterlemon Key. I have taken day sails over to St John, but they just will not go past Caneel Bay.

Its too risky to ferry over, take a taxi to the area north of Maho and then go down the trail and put in, then swim out to the coral head. My worry is getting a taxi back.

Does anyone have a recommendation of an operator that would possibly take me there.

Thanks alot.

Marge

Starz723

Hi Marge: we're researching same thing for our Sept Mariner cruise next year. So far, the most plausable plan is to rent a car in St. Thomas, drive to the ferry, get on and then drive to Leinster in St. John. Then you've got your own car and can count on getting back on time. You could also take a taxi to Red Hook, then the ferry to St. John and then rent a dingy from Noah's Ark for the day and boat around to Watermelon, but there is no telling how long this would take. I've read some reviews of the dingies and everyone seems to love them but don't know how quickly you could get around the island and back with enough time to snorkel. Maybe someone else can help us. At least we have a year, don't know when you're going. Is Watermelon worth all the trouble or can you snorkel at Trunk just as well and see just as neat stuff there???? There is an excursion around I think $69 per person to do just that and then you'd be sure to be back in time.

I dont have the experience to rent a boat and take it over to St John on my own. I experienced some choppy ocean with the day sail crossing over. Also, the dingy sounds like fun, BUT, its a bit of a ride up to Waterlemon and if there is a chop, it could really put a damper on it.

Waterlemon is an outstanding and pristine reef. It had the largest brain coral I have ever seen. The best way to describe it is, its like an underwater island and you swim around it. You swim through huge schools of fish, but they never touch you. It was such an amazing experience.

Im going to research day sails out of st john. If I find something. Ill post it.

Marge

Starz723

Archived