Refund for Missed Port?

petesweet

Except that port charges are not that low. There are no ports I know of as cheap as $29, so whoever told you it "was related to port charges" either just was giving you the answer you wanted to hear or didnt mean it covered the entire port charge or both.
More likely it wasn't really port charges, but was some sort of tax imposed by the Bermudan Government, which was included in the taxes portion of the invoice. Since that is paid/listed separately from the cruise charge, they may have to refund it.

The Bermuda tax is a bit more than $29. This is from bermuda online org site. Don't think Azores has a departure tax. At least you got something!

Arriving via cruise ship or yacht incurs a US$ 80 person Arrival Tax imposed by the Bermuda Government, in lieu of the Departure Tax. It has increased significantly since in May, 1996, the Wall Street Journal newspaper reported this tax as by far and away the highest such tax of any vacation destination. Since then a US$ per cabin tax is also payable to the Bermuda Government, now also included in the ticket prices of cruise passengers.

I'm sure the intent of the lawsuit was to get RCCL to refund port charges to customers, NOT to have RCCL simply stop listing the port charges as a line-item on the biill.

The main idea of the lawsuit was to stop the cruise lines from using a "port charges additional" add-on to misrepresent the full cost of the cruise. Before the lawsuit a cruise would be advertised as $500 (in huge print) plus $299 port charges (in tiny print). People only saw the $500 and felt deceived when they found out the true total cost was actually $799.

The main result of the settlement is that the cruise line must now quote only one combined figure in their advertising. That same cruise would now have to be advertised and billed/invoiced at the true $799. There could be no separate item for "port charges."

The main idea of the lawsuit was to stop the cruise lines from using a "port charges additional" add-on to misrepresent the full cost of the cruise. Before the lawsuit a cruise would be advertised as $500 (in huge print) plus $299 port charges (in tiny print). People only saw the $500 and felt deceived when they found out the true total cost was actually $799.

The main result of the settlement is that the cruise line must now quote only one combined figure in their advertising. That same cruise would now have to be advertised and billed/invoiced at the true $799. There could be no separate item for "port charges."

Really?

Prices are per person, based on double occupancy, for cruise only on select sailings and stateroom categories. Government taxes and fees are additional.

I coul;d go even farther. Anybody who had ever done a group cruise gets that nifty little statement in which the total price is broken down in:

- Cruise Fare

- NCCF

- Government Taxes and Fees

But seriously, I don't even know why this is a subject. For christ sake, this penny pinching is ridiculous. People pay some 700 dollars for a 7 night cruise including food until you explode, free entertainment and what else and it is never ever enough. Pinching pennies and arguing over a dime and a half is truly pathetic. So, people miss a port here and then. BIG deal. Make the best out of it. Until anybody else ever pays for a cruise to the Western Caribbean (5 days) and ends up for the entire time in the Bahamas because the ship was already limping into port on half the engines and all you get is a $50 OBC I doubt anybody can really complain.

Really?

I coul;d go even farther. Anybody who had ever done a group cruise gets that nifty little statement in which the total price is broken down in:

- Cruise Fare

- NCCF

But seriously, I don't even know why this is a subject. For christ sake, this penny pinching is ridiculous. People pay some 700 dollars for a 7 night cruise including food until you explode, free entertainment and what else and it is never ever enough. Pinching pennies and arguing over a dime and a half is truly pathetic. So, people miss a port here and then. BIG deal. Make the best out of it. Until anybody else ever pays for a cruise to the Western Caribbean (5 days) and ends up for the entire time in the Bahamas because the ship was already limping into port on half the engines and all you get is a $50 OBC I doubt anybody can really complain.

I have never responded to terrible comments on this board, but I must ask (1) that you read my original post and (2) refrain from such very offensive language.

Really?

- Cruise Fare

- NCCF

Who's complaining here? No one, except you, is making a big deal over anything.

This is a very civil discussion of the various fees and taxes involved in cruising. Everyone here is simply trying to understand the process better. It's a learning experience, not a complaining thread or a demand for a refund. Speaking for myself, by participating in this discussion, I picked up a few interesting tidbits that I didn't know or realize before, such as that there is a difference between port fees and foreign government taxes.

I have never responded to terrible comments on this board, but I must ask (1) that you read my original post and (2) refrain from such very offensive language.

(1) I read your original post and the subsequent answers

(2) if I used offensive language I apologize but before that I must know what offensive language I used

Who's complaining here? No one, except you, is making a big deal over anything.

This is a very civil discussion of the various fees and taxes involved in cruising. Everyone here is simply trying to understand the process better. It's a learning experience, not a complaining thread or a demand for a refund. Speaking for myself, by participating in this discussion, I picked up a few interesting tidbits that I didn't know or realize before, such as that there is a difference between port fees and foreign government taxes.

I was civil. I am always civil. Remember when you read something without emotions it can be taken in a way which it may not be intended by the writer. As a matter of fact I smiled and shook my head the whole time I wrote my post. :D

EDIT: The intention of my post was merely an attempt to put things in perspective. OOPS! Forgot a smilie ;)

Except that port charges are not that low. There are no ports I know of as cheap as $29, so whoever told you it "was related to port charges" either just was giving you the answer you wanted to hear or didnt mean it covered the entire port charge or both.

It was the difference between the port charges charged at Bermuda against those charged at the Azores. As for the answer I wanted to hear, as I said in my original post we never asked for it,:D it was automatically credited to the seapass account!!:)

Archived