Shopping on the Islands

gracecarmo

St Thomas has an outdoor market with vendors selling knock offs. They hold up quite well compared to those you find at "purse parties" in the states. In San Juan there is Coach and Douney and Bourke selling the real thing at great prices.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. The street vendors are together on the edge of the downtown shopping area. My daughter purchased a Kate Spade purse and Burberry bag. Both have held up well, with lots of use. A friend had purchased a Kate Spade knockoff in the states and the label came off, my daughter's is sewed on, guess that's something to look at. My daughter asked the vendor if he also had "Rolex" watches. He said that he did a week prior but they were confiscated, guess it's illegal there also.

St Thomas is great shopping. A friend of ours was living there and took us all over. The jewelry stores have levels of pricing: what they are asking, the best price and the "local's price". We went to a great perfume store, with good prices. Also a jewelry store on a side street with fantastic items. The jewelry stores on the main street did not offer great deals as the smaller family stores.

We'll be back in early December and I am looking forward to doing some Christmas shopping. You will have a great time!

Yes, and I'm terrible at it. Fortunately my daughter, who was 18 at the time, enjoys it. I think she paid around $40 for the two bags. There was a woman there, selling beach wraps and sun dresses. I initially thought she might be just making it selling her clothes at the market. Our friend who lived in St Thomas introduced us to her. The woman had inherited a sizable amount of money and her daughter had just graduated from Harvard Law School. A good lesson in how everything isn't as it appears. I have to quit feeling sorry for the salesperson and just go for the bargaining.

Archived