Problems with onboard charges

squuggy

So I just finished a great cruise to Mexico and I get my final statement the morning of departure--just under $400.00 and completely accurate to be charged to my Visa debit card.

When I return home, I checked my bank account and my checking account is overdrawn. Turns out that RCCL has authorized over $4,000.00 against my card for incidental charges. So I called an agent at RCCL and she confirms that my actual charges are $400.00 and that the excess authorization holds will be released. Fine, a minor inconvenience, but end of story.

Wrong.

I check my bank account the next day to see if the authorization has been released and I see that my account has been charged--get this--$8,575.87, draining my checking account dry, my overdraft (savings) account dry and leaving me without any form of cash except for the $25.00 I've got in my pocket.

I realize mistakes get made (though I can't imagine how it's possible to make an error as large as this one.) I've re-contacted RCCL and they told me it wouldn't be fixed for 7-10 business days. Any advice as to what course of action I should take?

So I just finished a great cruise to Mexico and I get my final statement the morning of departure--just under $400.00 and completely accurate to be charged to my Visa debit card.

When I return home, I checked my bank account and my checking account is overdrawn. Turns out that RCCL has authorized over $4,000.00 against my card for incidental charges. So I called an agent at RCCL and she confirms that my actual charges are $400.00 and that the excess authorization holds will be released. Fine, a minor inconvenience, but end of story.

Wrong.

I check my bank account the next day to see if the authorization has been released and I see that my account has been charged--get this--$8,575.87, draining my checking account dry, my overdraft (savings) account dry and leaving me without any form of cash except for the $25.00 I've got in my pocket.

I realize mistakes get made (though I can't imagine how it's possible to make an error as large as this one.) I've re-contacted RCCL and they told me it wouldn't be fixed for 7-10 business days. Any advice as to what course of action I should take?

Wow, that really sucks. I guess it is one reason to use credit cards rather than debit cards. I hope it gets fixed soon. Let us know what happens.

Wow. I'm really sorry this happened to you!!! That stinks! I wish I could give some helpful advice about how to resolve this, but I haven't a clue. I would try very hard to get them to get this bogus hold off your card. My sister went through the same thing with an online purchase, their mistake, and they wanted to tie up her checking account for 10 days. After spending ALL day on the phone with them, she got them to release the hold immediately. I'd call and complain, until I had no voice left.

Good luck. :o

Perhaps Visa did a debit correction instead of a credit correction or vice versa (I'm not 100% sure there...I'm not a bookkeeper or an accountant), but perhaps it is not entirely RCI's fault....banks can make a mistake once in awhile too

I had something like this happen to me once. (not as bad though!) and the bank (b of a) was able to put money in my account - almost like an interest free loan - and then when the problem was solved they took the money back out.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Kathy

Quote: Perhaps Visa did a debit correction instead of a credit correction or vice versa (I'm not 100% sure there...I'm not a bookkeeper or an accountant), but perhaps it is not entirely RCI's fault....banks can make a mistake once in awhile too

Definitely not the bank's fault. The amount charged to my card by RCCL was $8,575.87 instead of the correct total of $399.88 which I confirmed aboard ship and reconfirmed with RCCL when I noticed the large authorization hold.

Ok, what do you have to do to join C&A?? I have seen many things that are just for members??? Do you have to take so many cruises??

I went into the RC website and tried to click on the C&A section, but it wouldn't work, (maybe just my pc)

Someone please tell me the advantages to joining

(1st cruise just booked)

Ok, what do you have to do to join C&A?? I have seen many things that are just for members??? Do you have to take so many cruises??

I went into the RC website and tried to click on the C&A section, but it wouldn't work, (maybe just my pc)

(1st cruise just booked)

You can't join until after you sail! But it won't be long until you are a member.

(1st cruise just booked)

You can sign up on the ship also. Then you are a member.

Call RC customer service and ask to speak to a supervisor. If the person can't help you, ask for their supervisor and so on until you get to someone who can help you.

BTW, this is exactly why I always advise people not to use their debit card for their on-board account. I had something similar happen, but it was another cruise line and not nearly as severe.

Sorry this happened to you. Hope you get it all straightened out very soon and keep us updated.

Archived