I'm not as Worried about Explorer being able to leave Miami, but....

Snuggss

The thing that I am really worried about is my flight down. Has anyone had this problem before? I am scheduled to leave on Saturday night/Early sunday from Atlanta. The thing that bothers me is that when the plane is scheduled to take off, according to the lasted projections, the eye of Frances should be over the panhandle somewhere around Ocala, northeast of Tampa. Will the flight be canceled, delayed, or will they simply fly around it??? If anyone has had a hurricane between you and your destination, and your flight did or didn't leave, please let me know. I am sure there are tons of other people in this same situation right now waiting to see what happens.

Diane and I are to fly from Cleveland to Miami Sunday morning for our Monday cruise... I'm expecting to have a little bumpy flight when getting close to FL, and probably not arriving on time but somewhat delayed...

All we can do is say a prayer, think good thoughts, send positive vibes and mojo to those in the path of Frances, and take it as it comes on Sunday/Monday.

Frank

The last time I flew from Detroit to Ft Lauderdale, we went across to the coast of the Carolinas and down to FLL. I would think if this is the normal routing from Detroit, that Cleveland is pretty much the same, and the hurricane won't be an issue. Of course, the way they keep changing the prediction of when the storm will come ashore, it could still have FLL closed by Sunday/Monday.

As for flights from Atlanta, I'm sure they will decide closer to flight time whether they are going around it, or not even bothering. Most of it depends on how strong the storm is by that point. It's already weakening, and if it keeps that trend up, it will be nothing but a glorified rain storm by Sunday, and they'll fly through or over it.

[quote name='Snuggss']The thing that I am really worried about is my flight down. Has anyone had this problem before? I am scheduled to leave on Saturday night/Early sunday from Atlanta. The thing that bothers me is that when the plane is scheduled to take off, according to the lasted projections, the eye of Frances should be over the panhandle somewhere around Ocala, northeast of Tampa. Will the flight be canceled, delayed, or will they simply fly around it??? If anyone has had a hurricane between you and your destination, and your flight did or didn't leave, please let me know. I am sure there are tons of other people in this same situation right now waiting to see what happens.[/QUOTE]I don't know what airline you're flying down, but I would check the website for updates. I would also plan on getting to the airport more than two hours before your scheduled flight because of check-in and security lines. Also, I don't know if you're planning on leaving your car at the airport, but be advised that they're doing construction for the new x-ray machines at both the north and south terminals and there appear to be fewer parking spaces. I am also in the Atlanta area right now. Did you see the news and how crowded the airport was last night?

You can find a link to the airport, which also gives airline info on the 11alive.com webpage.

Good luck and have a great cruise. Let us know about it when you return!!

I work in the tv news biz and the word I'm hearing is that Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Orlando and West Palm Beach airports are all shut down. The following is from an email sent to me & my coworkers...

Airport Closures Due to Hurricane Frances
September 3 - 5, 2004

Ft. Lauderdale - Closed from September 3 through 12:00pm September 5
Miami - Closed from September 3 through 12:00 pm September 5

Orlando - Closed from September 3 through 12:00 pm September 5
West Palm Beach - Closed from September 3 through 12:00 pm September 5

I suggest you check their websites or call your airline's 1-800 number

As of 2:30pm ET, according to the FAA, Orlando (MCO), Ft. Lauderdale (FLL) and Melbourne (MLB) are the only major FL airports currently closed. Miami (MIA) is still officially open but most, if not all, airlines, have suspended flights, or will suspend flights into/out of MIA as of 6pm local time. How long the airlines keep the flights suspended is up to them, so check the airlines, or for airport info, check the MIA website:

[url="http://www.miami-airport.com"]www.miami-airport.com[/url] (be warned - it's a busy, therefore, slow site right now).

SE USA FAA airport information site:
[url="http://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/semap.jsp"]http://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/semap.jsp[/url] or

[url="http://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/plaintext.html"]http://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/plaintext.html[/url]

Frank

Alot will depend on how hard these areas are hit. No lights, no water, damage to the airports, you never know. I would think there is a 75% chance your flight will be canceled. Miami airport site said they are closed and will not reopen till sometime on Sunday. Keep checking and I hope everything goes according to plan. I would be very disapointed after planning for so long. Have a wonderful cruise.

Archived