new to snorkeling-- New waves shore snorkel?

vikqueen

My husband and I have never snorkeled and are considering trying the New Waves shore snorkel offered on the Crown Princess. Does anyone know how much time the guided snorkel takes, as beginners would we be able to do this? Also, as a fair skinned northerner I am concerned about sun burning if we are in the water too long! Thanks for your advice!

Vikqueen,

DW and I are also fair skinned northeners. I can't speak to the specific adventure you're looking at. Have you checked the Princess itinaries?

http://www.princess.com/learn/shorex/shorexdisplay.jsp

you can select the island near the top and it will display all the excursions. Click the more information to the one on the right and you can get a short description.

As far as sunburn is concerned, you might want to take a tight shirt (so it's not floating around in the water) and wear it under your vest.

I think if you're comfortable swimming, you'll do okay snorkling. breathing through the snorkel is a little strange at first. But the sites you might see will be amazing!

I know that information from someone who's done this excursion will be more helpful, but thought I'd throw out my 2 cents.

Have fun

• 2 weeks later...

I did the New Waves shore snorkel a couple weeks ago, while on the Crown. They asked for anyone who had never snorkeled before and gave them extra instructions. I did not see were a "guided tour" was offered, but that does not mean one wasn't. Most everyone snorkeled on their own. They just handed out the equipment, showed you the water bounderies and sent you on your way.

I was there about 2 hours, before I boarded the "disco bus" and headed back to the ship. The beach was not very big, nor were there many trees, so sun screen would be needed, also the beach was crushed coral, so wear water shoes.

Archived