SCUBA lessons pre-cruise

MMW37

My husband and I are seriously considering getting certified pre-cruise. We leave 12/16, and there are local schools that let you take your classroom stuff online and then you do all your underwater stuff in 3 (long) days. I've always wanted to learn, since I'm an avid swimmer and used to be a competitive sailor - anything to do with water makes me happy. We seem to be going on a cruise/year, so we should be able to use our skills at least yearly, plus we live in FL so I guess we can discover what's available around here too. We're going to Belize, Roatan, Cayman, and Cozumel, and I've heard some of these are awesome for diving. As soon-to-be newbies, is there anything we should beware of? We don't typically book through the ship, so we'll be finding operators through recommendations on the port of call boards. Also, since we don't yet own any equipment, what can you usually rent there and what are must-have to own? Thanks!

One of the Dr's. I work with just did that as have several friends I know. The did the school/pool work at home and did the certifying dives on the ship.... That can be a good way to get cert. I live in California and with how cold our waters are and rough are oceans for beach dives, it can turn you off.... I almost changed my mind...lol.

I would recommend Cayman or Belize for getting certified... I have never been diving in Roatan though I hear it's nice. But Cayman is pretty calm and Belize was beautiful..... Cozumel is lovely and great diving but it's almost all drift diving... Can be scary for a newbie just getting certified.... In Belize we used Sea Sports Belize. Great dive shop and loved our divemasters. In Grand Cayman we used Divers Down.. Again, a very good dive shop... Would dive with either again......In Cayman, that dive shop has a bigger boat and you giant stride off of it... In Belize, their boats are smaller and you do a back roll.... I was worried over that having never done it before but it's no big deal.... easy and fine...

And if you dive in Cozumel, I hear Dive with Alison is one of the best. I was to dive with her in April and my allergies prevented that. But the communication with her and then after an issue with my ears, so was so incredibly helpful I can't even tell you.... And she has tons of positive reviews on Cruise Critic.... Hope that helps....

MMW37

That's the perfect plan. Your itinerary is absolutely perfect for novice as well as experienced divers. Typically, your SCUBA instructor will probably insist that you have your personal equipment, mask, fins and snorkel, and if that's the case, you should bring that along with you on your cruise. The dive operators will provide tanks, weights and belts, BC's, and regulators with pressure gauge. Most dive operations will also offer wet suits at additional cost, and some will even rent U/W cameras as well. Personally, my wife and I bring all our own gear with the exception of weights, as well as 3mm wet suits and a complete U/W video system.

As for booking private dives, that, IMHO, is the only way to go in most ports. Your stop in Belize, might be the exception. The diving there is done around the cayes which are almost an hour away by high speed boat from where the ship anchors. The ship will wait for SHOREX tours to return, but if you book privately and miss the departure time, you're on your own.

You'll have to let us know how you enjoyed your course, and especially your cruise when you get back.;)

That's how my wife and I did it. There are 3 stages to scuba lessons: the book work, pool sessions, then open water checkout dives. The book work is short and simple, covering a few (very important!) basics. Most of the learning is done in the pool. I don't know about doing the "underwater stuff" in three days, not if you mean the pool sessions. This is where you learn the skills you need to be a competent, safe diver and I wouldn't try to rush it. The open water checkout dives can be done in three days (or less) because you'll just be demonstrating your ability to perform the skills you have learned.

The checkout dives can be done on vacation. The four places you mention are all top dive locations with fabulous coral reefs, and you can probably complete your certification at any of them. Typically, all the gear you need to buy are mask, snorkel, and fins. Everything else is available to rent.

One more thing: your first dive on a Carribean reef will be spectacular. I mean beyond imagining, peak life experience amazing. You'll be grinning so wide your mask will leak!

Happy diving!

Archived