Risky to do "excursions" on our own??

boakin

I'm a first-time cruiser and traveling with my two kids and other family members. I'm wondering if it's worth the expense to book the NCL excursions or whether it's safe to seek adventures on our own, e.g. get off the boat and just take a taxi or hire a boat to where we want to go?? It seems we could save a LOT of money that way, but I'm a bit nervous too, especially never having done this before. What has your experience been?

People who are adventurous or have been to a particular port before seem to be more comfortable going it alone. I, on the other hand, am always nervous about missing the ship. The extra cost for an NCL booked excursion is worth it, to me, since I know the ship won't leave without me. Granted I wouldn't have cried if I'd been left in St Thomas :D :eek: :D

On our first cruise, we booked the shore excursions through the cruiseline, just because we did not know what we were doing. Last year on our second cruise, however, we booked a St. Thomas island tour with a local tour operator and took a taxi to a beach in St. Maarten. The risk you take when going on your own if that if something happens and you run late, the boat won't wait for you. For that reason, we will never take a ferry or snorkeling tour with anyone other than the cruiseline, just because if something does break down, we could be quite far away and it could be very difficult to get back on time. At least if you're on land, you can just take another taxi back to the ship.

However, that's just us being (very) cautious. I know there are lots of people who would book all tours through a local tour operator without any concerns and you could save yourself quite a bit of money that way...

It depends on your level of comfort.

When we started cruising, we just got off the ship, we just walked around near where the ship docked. We soon found we were not taking advantage of what there was really to be seen.

Then we started taking ships sponsored tours, and got even more PO'd as each of these tours ended up at gift shop areas (we are just not trinket or souveneir people).

Then we did our homework, and found something to our liking, and did it on our own, including, sometimes, renting a car.

There are places we would never go it alone, like Jamaica. Lots to see and do, but I feel safer being "taken there". And even that's not foolproof, as we all saw this year.

Check out the ports of call boards for the places you are visiting. There's a wealth of info there.

We're planning our first cruise with Norwegian and are wondering whether to take the Atlantis Beach Break ($85.00) is the right way to go. Their website indicates that this is a '4 hour' excursion which seems a bit too short to us and it appears that there is a short ferry ride to get to Atlantis. Anyone have any experience with this? The primary issue isn't the money but the amount of time we'll have; we're in port from 8am to 1am (all day and evening), so there doesn't seem to be much of a rush. Any thoughts.

I have about 4 factors that help me decide whether to book a ship's excursion or try an independent.

1. How long is the excursion compared to the length of time in port. The most important part of that question is how close to departure time is the excursion scheduled to return?

2. Is the ship docked or is it a tender port?

3. What is the cost difference between the ship's tour and the independent tour?

4. What's my comfort level with the port we're in? Is it part of the US or a relatively modern country, or a "third world" port where I'd be much more comfortable going with a tour organized through the ship?

We've done a mix of both kinds of tours. Just for example, in Belize, we took a tour to Lamanai and booked the excursion through the ship. We were in port from 7 to 4, the excursion went from 9 to 3, so not much time for any leeway in case of problems. Belize is a tender port, the ship's excursion was only $10 more than any independent tours I could find. While I love Belize as a port of call, it's not someplace that I'd be comfortable without using NCL's approved guides.

In Alaska, we went whale watching with Harv & Marv - an independent provider. We were in port from 2 to 10, the tour was scheduled to last from 3 to 7, so that gave us plenty of time to get back to the ship even if there should have been any problems. We docked at Juneau, the costs were comparable (but the experience of using Harv & Marv was absolutely great!!!), and I felt very comfortable in Juneau.

I also carefully study the port of call boards for independent operators that other CC members have recommended before booking any independent tours. Hopefully those tips will be useful to you for making an "informed" decision.

Dependng on your pre-cruise research, and the type of activity, you can often have a better experience for less money doing a tour you arrange yourself.

Case in point" Cave Tubing in Belize. The ship offered this tour, but we booked with a local guy and had a great time. Many of these guys are former cruise tour guides, and they know the ropes. We got a longer trip, and we had 8 people to a guide where the ship tours had up to 40 people to a guide.

If the trip takes you far from the dock or is risky (deep sea fishing, scuba diving, and trips to the Mayan Ruins come to mind) you may be safer doing to ship's tour.

On the other hand, you face little to no risk booking a tour to Singray City on Grand Cayman with a private tour. If something happened, there are boats and taxis everywhere to get you back.

It is safe to make plans on your own if you are smart about. As someone above me mentioned, make sure you leave yourself PLENTY of time. Yes, the ship really will leave without you. There are plenty of reports on the board of people left behind, or watching people racing to the ship as they are pulling up the gangplank.

If you are on a short day, I would use the ship's excursions. The PORT OF CALL boards are a great place to read about reliable, non-ship tours that will get you back on time.

When doing our own thing, we always plant to be back to the ship at least 2 hours before sailing. Be sure that where you're going has adequate transportation to get you back - lot of taxis (like Atlantis or Orient Beach), etc, not somehwere remote. Some fols say they ask the driver to come back and don't pay until pickup, but that's too risky for us. Other places like Grand Cayman there is so much to do close to the ship, it's safe to do it on your own.

We're planning our first cruise with Norwegian and are wondering whether to take the Atlantis Beach Break ($85.00) is the right way to go. Their website indicates that this is a '4 hour' excursion which seems a bit too short to us and it appears that there is a short ferry ride to get to Atlantis. Anyone have any experience with this? The primary issue isn't the money but the amount of time we'll have; we're in port from 8am to 1am (all day and evening), so there doesn't seem to be much of a rush. Any thoughts.

I suggest, if they have it, the ferry boat ride to ROSE ISLAND. What a beautiful island! Since you have all of that time there the tour should be available. Totally worth the 30 minute trip. Atlantis tends to get very crowded and busy.

I had the same question on our first cruise last March. I found a great website www.shoretrips.com that has a wonderful list of excursions. If you pay attention to the "ship time vs. port time" and give yourself enough time I think you will be fine. I had nothing but good experiences when booking my excursions through this site. In fact, the one excursion that I booked through the ship was canceled. We were able to play in port for longer, cheaper, and with less people. I would highly, highly recommend this site.

I'm a first-time cruiser and traveling with my two kids and other family members. I'm wondering if it's worth the expense to book the NCL excursions or whether it's safe to seek adventures on our own, e.g. get off the boat and just take a taxi or hire a boat to where we want to go?? It seems we could save a LOT of money that way, but I'm a bit nervous too, especially never having done this before. What has your experience been?
our first few cruises we stuck with the ships tours, but today we use them rarely. The exception is a long tour or if you are in a port that has a reputation of not being terribly safe. Some ports that come to mind, anyplace in Jacaica, parts of So America, Panama and maybe Domican Republic. This isn't saying these places are bad or you shouldn't cruise to them it is just they don't have great reputations. If you do want to book on your own I would suggest you go to the Ports a call thread and read up on the places you will be visiting. Keep any private tours to 4 or so hours, allowing plenty of time to return to the ship. You are right, they are much less expensive plus more personalized.

Nita

the ferry ride is only a few minutes, if it were me, I would do Atlantis on my own, you can decide how long you want to stay and if there is anything else you want to do while in the Bahamas.

Nita

We always book on our own, but only after checking the port of call boards. A couple of times, we have actually booked privately and ended up with a group from our ship or, in one case, another ship. On one where we ended up with people from our ship, the guide asked us ahead of time not to discuss what we had paid for the tour. (it was about half what the ship charged).

the ferry ride is only a few minutes, if it were me, I would do Atlantis on my own, you can decide how long you want to stay and if there is anything else you want to do while in the Bahamas.

Nita

A taxi to Atlantis was $4 per person. Just be sure to leave plenty of time to get back. We had no trouble getting a cab back but got stuck behind some local parade event and almost got out to walk - took us over an hour to get back to the ship...

As most have said, it really depends on your comfort level!

When we go to places we have never been to before we normally book through the cruise line. Where we have been before we will book privately but ONLY after we have spent considerable time on the Ports of Call boards talking to others who have taken the same private excursions we are looking at.

Generally speaking the further away from the ship we have to go on the excursion the more likely we are to book a ship tour....being left behind because the wheel fell off the jeep and you couldn't get back to the ship on time is the stuff of nightmares!!

Other places...like Jamaica...we don't even get off the ship any more. We found that neither of the excursions...ship or private....give us the comfort level we like in terms of our own personal safety. But, that is just us....other people have no problems with Jamaica...but feel the same way we do about other ports like Belize!!??!!

Take the time to do your research and talk with people here. If you spend the time you can have some marvelous private excursions and save a lot of money!

Congratulations on taking your first cruise. I have been on a lot of cruises and sometimes we buy shore excursions from the Cruise Line and sometimes we just visit the port on our own. Much depends on the post and how easy and safe it is to get around. I would be glad to share things to see and do but it would help if you mentioned what ports. If you are new to cruising some shore excursions may be best so that you can see as much as possible in a short time. Also if you go off on your own and don't get back on time, the cruise line will not wait for you. If you take their shore excursions and you are delayed getting back, they can communicate with the ship. Have a great first cruise.

All great advice above. We too have booked our own, booked through the cruise line and caught a tour when we got there. We have NEVER had a problem with anything. That being said, I have come to find that I am much less stressed when I go with the ship tour. If I was familiar with the port and the price difference was big I would consider booking on my own. But, usually the price difference is not that much and well worth my peace of mind. When I book on my own I get nervous about getting to the tour operator on time which makes me bi#**y.....which is not fun for anyone!!

Hi --

I assume the Atlantis on this thread is the one in Paradise Island in the Bahamas.

From the port, one can take the ferries directly from New Providence I. - just outside the cruise terminal (Nassau) to PI for $3. They leave each way about every half hour. On PI, the Atlantis is just up the block and across the street - first passing thru the shopping center. We did this last Friday from the NCL Sun.

Another way, for some good pix taking is to do your shopping, and then walk along to East Street and then just past on the left side of the street. The number 19 "bus" turns onto Street. Grab one of them, fare is a dollar (US or BA), tell the driver you want the PI bridge stop. It's a mile maybe. The walk up and over the bridge is not bad, and offers a great view of the water and the shore of PI for lots of pix. Other busses may also be available from the heart of the stores area.

Overall, we did our own bit in Cartagena and Santa Marta Columbia. You need a cab to town in Cart., or some Col. Pesos to take the minibusses. Caution, the cabbies are aggressive to try to sell you more than you want. We told ours to stop and let us out within a fraction of a mile. After several blocks, another was more receptive. Five dollars should get you the ride to the Clock Tower. Santa Marta's duty free shop has about the cheapest prices imaginable - even though the good may be a bit dusty. We had fun walking around both cities, sitting in the squares and parks guzzling our cans of beer. Caution -- some of the tee shirts in Santa Marta are silk screened with some sort of chemical - may be benzine -- we still have them isolated.

Roatan and Belize. We used the ship's tours. Roatan: I hiked - there were only 11 of us and two local guides, and DW took another tour. Shopping is up and down the street just outside the port gates in Coxen Hole. Belize -- I used www.cavetubing.com. Promoted as better and half the price of the ship, and it was. DW took a ship's tour. Shopping is at the tender dock -- a whole village.

Cozumel. Less said the better. We just strolled the streets. Bot some SOL beer = putrid. Stick with Tecate and Bohemia plus your old faithfuls. Hawkers outside of just about every shop.

Nassau. Totally commercial, but we hopped over to PI. Explore the "aquarium" on the lower level of the Atlantis - the free part.

best to all

dg

:)

Thanks much to all who responded to my original query about doing excursions on our own. It was very good advice and really helpful. Thanks especially to ute fan. The four criteria you listed made a lot of sense and helped me think it through. Much appreciation to all!

boakin -- You're welcome! I'm an accountant, so my nature is to break things down into measurable qualities.

I'm sure that there are perfectly good, very reputable independent tour operators in Belize. For the longer tours, however, I just prefer paying the "insurance" costs of booking through NCL. Just as an example, on our excursion to Lamanai, there was another tour boat that had broken down on the river. They'd called for a spare to come pick the passsengers up, but the captain and his assistant were still on the boat. If that had been me, on an independent tour, I would have been totally freaking out!

Congrats on the first cruise!! Wonderful!

Also, as a reminder, if you choose to take your own excursion, keep track of "ship's time" rather than rely on your guide as local time can vary.

Some local guides do know this and bear it in mind; however, it's a reminder to everyone that we need to be aware.

Happy Cruising (and touring)! :D

Archived